Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

blenky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm
blenky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm
On my LG CX using Zidoo Z9X I can play all files but only STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4 engages DV.
Hi, these have been created to be played directly on the LG, not via an external player.
Ok so I put the files on a USB stick and connected directly into my LG CX.

FEL_to_Profile81.mp4 played in DV. All other files failed with the message "This file cannot be recognised..."
Hi, I think that is what Yuescope was thinking might happen, it seems direct play of Profile 7 on the CX might have been crippled.
There has been a North America firmware this week for the C9, it will be interesting to see if that can still play profile 7, it isn’t available in Europe yet so I can’t test it.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:46 am
blenky wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi, these have been created to be played directly on the LG, not via an external player.

FEL_to_Profile81.mp4 played in DV. All other files failed with the message "This file cannot be recognised..."
Hi, I think that is what Yuescope was thinking might happen, it seems direct play of Profile 7 on the CX might have been crippled.
There has been a North America firmware this week for the C9, it will be interesting to see if that can still play profile 7, it isn’t available in Europe yet so I can’t test it.
LG internal player CAN NOT play any DV mkv with dolby truehd atmos sound track, right ?

I am going to buy a CX model LG TV. Is there any way to handle DV mkv with dolby truehd atmos on CX model?
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
cuculain

Post by cuculain »

hopefully Zidoo will get the firmware sorted with their new range of mediaplayers

ive got the Z9X and its a noticeable upgrade video wise on the older z9S

firmwares not quite there with mkv DV

but hdr10+ seems to be working fine,and theyve always been solid re Atmos etc
ie Alita full rip makemkv .53 to mkv file
HDR 10+ and full atmos works fine looks lovely
same file trying DV atm looks lovely but loses synch after 5 mins and audios out by 2 secs ...VERY early on in the firmware thou

Forced DV lldl works pretty well too
something really old like Space1999 epis from 1975ish come out looking much improved vs normal when using forced DV...ie grey starry backgrounds become inky black
Metals look like metals,and faded clothing gains lots of colours back ..... just as an example
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

badrobot wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:46 am
blenky wrote:

LG internal player CAN NOT play any DV mkv with dolby truehd atmos sound track, right ?

I am going to buy a CX model LG TV. Is there any way to handle DV mkv with dolby truehd atmos on CX model?
It can’t play DV from MKV full stop, that is why these files are mp4.

Only way is to get an external player.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

cuculain wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:36 am
hopefully Zidoo will get the firmware sorted with their new range of mediaplayers

ive got the Z9X and its a noticeable upgrade video wise on the older z9S

firmwares not quite there with mkv DV

but hdr10+ seems to be working fine,and theyve always been solid re Atmos etc
ie Alita full rip makemkv .53 to mkv file
HDR 10+ and full atmos works fine looks lovely
same file trying DV atm looks lovely but loses synch after 5 mins and audios out by 2 secs ...VERY early on in the firmware thou

Forced DV lldl works pretty well too
something really old like Space1999 epis from 1975ish come out looking much improved vs normal when using forced DV...ie grey starry backgrounds become inky black
Metals look like metals,and faded clothing gains lots of colours back ..... just as an example
I think even the Zidoo will need profile 8 for FEL titles, I just don’t see Dolby allowing a loophole that enables profile 7 FEL to be converted to single track dual layer AND play back correctly.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

@DaMacFunkin
External player means APP like Plex?
Is Plex on LG CX model capable of playing DV mkv with Dolby truehd atmos ? thanks
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

badrobot wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 am

@DaMacFunkin
External player means APP like Plex?
Is Plex on LG CX model capable of playing DV mkv with Dolby truehd atmos ? thanks
No, external player means external hardware.
Internal Plex app will only transport what the internal decoder determines valid, everything else will transcode or not play, including True-HD.
Hi-Res

Post by Hi-Res »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm
PlatypusW wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:39 am
I have an LG CX so happy to test...
quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Oh, I thought you were referring to dual track mp4 as well. Those are pretty much the only reason I'd convert to mp4, because the C8 still supports them as profile 7 FEL.
As promised, here are some test files for you to try on LG devices.
GAMMA should now be able to return MP4 files as well (in addition to MKV ones).
I say "should" because today was a looooooooooooooooong day and I'm really tired (so forgive any mistakes).

Find the test files HERE.

They were all obtained from an initial m2ts FEL profile 7 file (only video, no audio).

The main reason why GAMMA has to return MP4 files is related to the "whispers" circulating these days that see the LG OLED 2020 TVs unable to play DTDL MP4 files.
Owners of these TVs should make sure the "FEL_to_Profile81.mp4" file is played.

@quietvoid pointed out to me that LG OLED TVs <= 2019 can still play DTDL files: having a faster method to generate this type of file would therefore be advantageous.
I modified GAMMA to get this type of file.

So, from a FEL m2ts file (profile 7) you can get the following MP4:
  • DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

Try the files and let me know!

DTDL = Dual Track Dual Layer
STDL = Single Track Dual Layer
For my LG OLED C6 65"

Out of all the test files it played only the

Code: Select all

FEL_to_Profile81.mp4. 
Which only triggered HDR+10 not Dolby Vision.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

yusesope wrote:
PlatypusW wrote:
quietvoid wrote:
Oh, I thought you were referring to dual track mp4 as well. Those are pretty much the only reason I'd convert to mp4, because the C8 still supports them as profile 7 FEL.
I say "should" because today was a looooooooooooooooong day and I'm really tired (so forgive any mistakes).

They were all obtained from an initial m2ts FEL profile 7 file (only video, no audio).

The main reason why GAMMA has to return MP4 files is related to the "whispers" circulating these days that see the LG OLED 2020 TVs unable to play DTDL MP4 files.

@quietvoid pointed out to me that LG OLED TVs <= 2019 can still play DTDL files: having a faster method to generate this type of file would therefore be advantageous.

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

Thanks, on my CX, as others have already stated, the only file that would play was ‘FEL_to_Profile81.mp4’. All the others came up with ‘video unsupported’ error message. The 8.1 file triggered Dolby vision though, so that’s good right?

On a side note: I find it interesting that while the video player will refuse to play any of the other files, it has no trouble creating the thumbnails for them. Just makes me think something else is stopping it even trying to play them - I.e the firmware update :roll:
userr

Post by userr »

The new exoplayer that we mention here, that can play dolby vision mkv files, is there a way to zoom/remove black bars in it?
longseason

Post by longseason »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Both DTDL files do not playback on the C8 internal player, the STDL ones trigger Dolby Vision but stutter.
Are you using the latest mp4muxer code from Github? It causes these issues on the C8 at least, while the first version posted in 2018 works perfectly. From this tree: https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... 0d7ca4eabd

BTW, this is the only post I've seen mention the CX thing: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 477#p98477
So FWIW, still don't know how true it is.
Thanks for this tip - nothing I created with the more recent mp4muxer worked on my LG C7, but switching to this older version allowed me to create both profile 4 and profile 7 DTDL MP4s that worked both directly, over DLNA and over a Mac mini Plex server, which is ultimately what I'm looking for (I don't have a setup that supports TrueHD anyway).

Now I just have to hope that a firmware update doesn't hose support for profile 4 or 7!
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

PlatypusW wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:32 am
yusesope wrote:
PlatypusW wrote:
quietvoid wrote:

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

Thanks, on my CX, as others have already stated, the only file that would play was ‘FEL_to_Profile81.mp4’. All the others came up with ‘video unsupported’ error message. The 8.1 file triggered Dolby vision though, so that’s good right?

On a side note: I find it interesting that while the video player will refuse to play any of the other files, it has no trouble creating the thumbnails for them. Just makes me think something else is stopping it even trying to play them - I.e the firmware update :roll:
On my UK LGC9 (Last firmware June) none of the DTDL play.
STDL play and trigger DV but very jerky as though is is plating some bytes from one layer then some bytes from the other.
8.1 plays and triggers DV fine.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm
blenky wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:02 pm
@yusesope I followed your steps in the post above to the letter.
However the resultant files play back in HDR10 on my Zidoo Z9X.
I have updated the POST of the 0.0.4 GAMMA version.
I think I have made some steps forward.
THESE samples were obtained with the latter version.
Do they trigger DV on your devices?
The files contain an ATMOS audio track that could create some incompatibility with those devices without decoder, e.g. LG TVs.
So I finally tried these sample files, none trigger DoVi on Zidoo Z9X only HDR10.
On the Shield 2019 pro with Latest Plex Beta and Latest Plex Beta server all 3 - FEL, FEL to MEL and FEL to Profile 8.1 all trigger Dolby Vision... err wow...

Just for fun I tried them on Oppo 203, all 3 play in HDR10 only.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

cuculain wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm
Edit just saw your later comment to use direct to TV
Fel to 8.1 worked fine as dolby vision
All other files played as HDR PQ when direct to Panasonic z1000 OLED
blenky wrote:
Hi-Res wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:01 am
For my LG OLED C6 65"
Out of all the test files it played only the

Code: Select all

FEL_to_Profile81.mp4. 
Which only triggered HDR+10 not Dolby Vision.
quietvoid wrote:
Are you using the latest mp4muxer code from Github?
PlatypusW wrote:
on my CX..............The 8.1 file triggered Dolby vision though, so that’s good right?
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:31 pm
On my UK LGC9 (Last firmware June)
8.1 plays and triggers DV fine.
Ok. Your tests show that LG TVs (and Panasonic z1000) are still able to read a DV STDL profile 8.1 file (except for the LG C6...although the feedback seems strange to me since the file does not contain an HDR10+ track).
This is good news ...
The second good news is that these files were obtained without using Dolby's mp4muxer. The creation process is therefore much faster.

quietvoid wrote:
Both DTDL files do not playback on the C8 internal player, the STDL ones trigger Dolby Vision but stutter.
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:31 pm
On my UK LGC9 (Last firmware June) none of the DTDL play.
STDL play and trigger DV but very jerky as though is is plating some bytes from one layer then some bytes from the other.
PlatypusW wrote:
on my CX, as others have already stated, the only file that would play was ‘FEL_to_Profile81.mp4’. All the others came up with ‘video unsupported’ error message.
I wish I could also create working DTDL files.

I have generated four other FEL DTDL variants.
Each of them has small changes and the degree of complexity increases from file n1 to file n4.
These files can only be played using the INTERNAL PLAYER of LG TVs (via DLNA, USB).
If you want to try, you can find them HERE.
In your feedback please specify the TV model and the file that worked (if any of these will ever work :mrgreen: ).

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:37 pm
So I finally tried these sample files, none trigger DoVi on Zidoo Z9X only HDR10.
On the Shield 2019 pro with Latest Plex Beta and Latest Plex Beta server all 3 - FEL, FEL to MEL and FEL to Profile 8.1 all trigger Dolby Vision... err wow...
Just for fun I tried them on Oppo 203, all 3 play in HDR10 only.
Are you referring to MKV files?

userr wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am
The new exoplayer that we mention here, that can play dolby vision mkv files, is there a way to zoom/remove black bars in it?
Nope!
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:24 pm

I wish I could also create working DTDL files.

I have generated four other FEL DTDL variants.
Each of them has small changes and the degree of complexity increases from file n1 to file n4.
These files can only be played using the INTERNAL PLAYER of LG TVs (via DLNA, USB).
If you want to try, you can find them HERE.
In your feedback please specify the TV model and the file that worked (if any of these will ever work :mrgreen: ).
Thanks, result below.

CX48 - Played via USB using the internal player:

DTDL_FEL_1: "This file cannot be recognised. Do you want to play the next file?"
DTDL_FEL_2: "This file cannot be recognised. Do you want to play the next file?"
DTDL_FEL_3: "This file cannot be recognised. Do you want to play the next file?"
DTDL_FEL_4: "This file cannot be recognised. Do you want to play the next file?"