Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by jayper »

I have been making ts files using TsMuxer for playback on my x700. I have been using w64-nightly-2020-10-07--02-32-42 and creating files by using the playlist file from a full disc back-up. Everything works perfectly for Atmos / TrueHD content, but does anyone happen to know why DTS codecs are not being recognized by my soundbar?

Everything that is DTS based, seems to be outputting at LPCM.
Exovitae

Post by Exovitae »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:31 pm
Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm
I have problems with less bright images on the M9702(Oppo clone) too by playing BDMV directory from the network so probably what Reset_9999 is saying is true, its not from the TS files.
My LG B9 internal player plays mp4 DV remuxes way better than the M9702, its frustrating! Comparing some movies you dont see much of a difference but in some there is a a major difference, for example Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets looks so bright and good in highlights on the internal player of my B9 and on the m9702 its so underwhelming! It's set to TV led so i dont know why the difference.

Also i seen that HDR 10 movies in some scenes look dark and highlights are less bright than on the TV's player, in this scenes if im setting the tone mapping option in my tv to off the picture quality improves a lot but then on another scenes picture quality is better with the tone maping option set to on! I think this player doesn't go hand in hand with the TV, maybe is some kind of double tone mapping, one made by the M9702 and one on the TV and this results in bad playback!
So if I am reading this right you have active hdr set on your TV?
You should have said that at the beginning, that is why the HDR playback of your internal app is brighter than the Dolby playback from the Oppo.
Just because it’s brighter doesn’t mean it’s correct, maybe you should set the output of the Oppo to HDR10 and let your TV apply faux metadata rather than the true metadata from the Dolby stream.
Hey, what do you mean by active HDR set on my TV? The tone mapping? The tone mapping on my TV is set to on for HDR sources but when there is a Dolby Vision source in the picture settings i dont have any tone mapping options.
I didn't compared HDR to Dolby Vision, when i said i have a less bright image and less iluminance of highlights i compared Dolby Vision from the m9702 to the playback of mp4 Dolby Vision files played by the internal app of the TV.
Excuse my English, its not my native language and if i miss understood something please let me know, i want true Dolby Vision from the Oppo clone and from the TV i also run true Dolby Vision, there is no tone napping option on the tv when a DV signal is playing.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

jayper wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:08 am
I have been making ts files using TsMuxer for playback on my x700. I have been using w64-nightly-2020-10-07--02-32-42 and creating files by using the playlist file from a full disc back-up. Everything works perfectly for Atmos / TrueHD content, but does anyone happen to know why DTS codecs are not being recognized by my soundbar?

Which soundbar is it? The most likely explanation is that it just simply doesn't support DTS.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:07 am
jayper wrote:
...full disc back-up. Everything works perfectly for Atmos / TrueHD content...
Which soundbar is it? The most likely explanation is that it just simply doesn't support DTS.
Next to the possibility shawnc22 stated,

Are you sure TrueHD (with or without Atmos metadata) works?
Since you are using full-disc back-ups, I have a hunch that it uses the embedded legacy AC3 5.1 track.
Roberespa

Post by Roberespa »

-Hello

Help please!!!

Let's see if someone can help me.

I have obtained:
hevc1 and hevc2

Then I have used the MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat tool to get the video merged into a single layer.

With TsMuxer I opened this and made it to .ts

Worse on Mediainfo (updated)

I get this:

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Nombre completo : T:\El Señor de los Anillos La Comunidad del Anillo V.E 2001 UHD-REMUX Dolby Vision HDR10\El Señor de los Anillos La Comunidad del Anillo V.E 2001 UHD-REMUX Dolby Vision HDR10.ts
Formato : MPEG-TS
Tamaño de archivo : 57,8 GiB
Duración : 1 h 45 min
Modo de tasa de bits : Variable
Tasa de bits general : 78,3 Mb/s
Tasa de bits genral máxima : 35,5 Mb/s

Vídeo
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
ID menú : 1 (0x1)
Formato : HEVC
Formato/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Formato del perfil : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
ID códec : 6
Duración : 1 h 45 min
Ancho : 3 840 píxeles
Alto : 2 160 píxeles
Relación de aspecto : 16:9
Velocidad de fotogramas : 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Espacio de color : YUV
Submuestreo croma : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Profundidad bits : 10 bits
Rango de color : Limited
Colores primarios : BT.2020
Características transferencia : PQ
Coeficientes matriz : BT.2020 non-constant
Principios color monitor masterización : Display P3
Luminancia monitor masterización : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Nivel ligero contenido máximo : 602 cd/m2
Nivel ligero fotograma medio máximo : 184 cd/m2

I do not think:
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Please can someone help me.

It would not hurt if they could make an updated tutorial today. Explaining all the commands.
Hayer spent 4 hours reading and trying everything and nothing.
I'm desperate.
Please help.

Thank you.
userr

Post by userr »

ghostshadow wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 am
Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 am
Does the Zidoo Z9X plays the new mkv dolby vision files more accurately than the Shield 2019 regarding colors? I keep reading about Shield and the problems with DV so i was thinking to try a Zidoo.
Here is my feedback on this product:

The firmware is pretty buggy. I am currently in 0.66. With my Panasonic, I couldn't launch Dovi movies, then go find out why by just touching the brightness, contrast settings and going back to HT4 and relaunching the Dovi file where it can read the Dovi. It was a bit chaotic at first (suddenly yes, suddenly no), and almost all the time Films in Dovi play. The image is beautiful I finally enjoy it. Some slowdowns on some Bluray UHD Dovi, but not enough to whip a cat.

On the other hand, the Dovi x265 encodes (lords of the rings, Hobbit, Total recall) pass nickel chrome, the image is magnificent. I don't have any stuttering worries since I only watch FR tracks, and for the atmosphere for me I have more worries by remuxing them in THD + AC3. So I'm no longer expressly in a hurry to have new Firmware (hoping that it continues to work). Namely that I do not use the VS10 engine but am in a car. And you can clearly see the difference on some Movies between playing it in HDR and in Dovi, I suppose it's because the Dovi was better integrated on some than others, like when the 4k came out, at the beginning the master was only upscale.

So after a difficult start the Z9x is suitable for my use. But I cannot explain the why and how of this erratic functioning which improves on its own. I even wondered if the processor has a learning AI unit.
long post but im not sure if u answered :D
does it play the new mkv DV standardfiles?
does FEL work?
playing from network?
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

userr wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm
ghostshadow wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 am
Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 am
Does the Zidoo Z9X plays the new mkv dolby vision files more accurately than the Shield 2019 regarding colors? I keep reading about Shield and the problems with DV so i was thinking to try a Zidoo.
Here is my feedback on this product:

The firmware is pretty buggy. I am currently in 0.66. With my Panasonic, I couldn't launch Dovi movies, then go find out why by just touching the brightness, contrast settings and going back to HT4 and relaunching the Dovi file where it can read the Dovi. It was a bit chaotic at first (suddenly yes, suddenly no), and almost all the time Films in Dovi play. The image is beautiful I finally enjoy it. Some slowdowns on some Bluray UHD Dovi, but not enough to whip a cat.

On the other hand, the Dovi x265 encodes (lords of the rings, Hobbit, Total recall) pass nickel chrome, the image is magnificent. I don't have any stuttering worries since I only watch FR tracks, and for the atmosphere for me I have more worries by remuxing them in THD + AC3. So I'm no longer expressly in a hurry to have new Firmware (hoping that it continues to work). Namely that I do not use the VS10 engine but am in a car. And you can clearly see the difference on some Movies between playing it in HDR and in Dovi, I suppose it's because the Dovi was better integrated on some than others, like when the 4k came out, at the beginning the master was only upscale.

So after a difficult start the Z9x is suitable for my use. But I cannot explain the why and how of this erratic functioning which improves on its own. I even wondered if the processor has a learning AI unit.
long post but im not sure if u answered :D
does it play the new mkv DV standardfiles?
does FEL work?
playing from network?
It plays the MKV Dovi Mel 7 and 8.1 without problem, the FEL not it is the bluray-disk format
Yes I'm in a network, Nas
RayDawGGG

Post by RayDawGGG »

magnetoeric wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:45 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Could you tell me how to access this menu on my CX?
http://ltroyalshrimp.com/how-to-get-int ... tics-menu/
Thank you. The menu is different on CX and it doesn't even show the hdr details like it did in your pic (dolby vision profile under general section). Is it because I've connected my shield to my onkyo receiver instead of directly to my tv? I've watched many dolby vision mkv remuxes and I too feel like the picture doesn't look bright at all. HDR looks great though.
You have to highlight the word HDMI MODE.. https://i.imgur.com/nlTBDa3.jpg then select it.. it will change https://i.imgur.com/L9EdX60.jpg
jayper

Post by jayper »

ArArdin wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:56 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:07 am
jayper wrote:
...full disc back-up. Everything works perfectly for Atmos / TrueHD content...
Next to the possibility shawnc22 stated,

Are you sure TrueHD (with or without Atmos metadata) works?
Since you are using full-disc back-ups, I have a hunch that it uses the embedded legacy AC3 5.1 track.
Appreciate you both weighing in and trying to help.

The sound bar is the Vizio SB36512-F6. I have everything hooked up via HDMI in and when using disc playback or my shield DTS streams are all registered appropriately.

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews ... sb36512-f6

The soundbar is triggering both Atmos playback and TrueHD streams when starting a TS file. I am not playing via full disc back-ups, I am creating TS files from the disc back-ups. Not sure that has an impact on the resulting file, but wanted to clear that up. Thanks for the help.
Roberespa

Post by Roberespa »

I have tried this:

1- create a txt file contening a list of the files to merge
exemple : m2ts_list.txt
Code: Select all

file 'F:\000731.M2TS'
file 'F:\000732.M2TS'
2- extract the BL, EL and audio (dts-hd) of the merged m2ts files

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i m2ts_list.txt -map 0:0 -c copy BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy EL.hevc -map 0:4 -c copy audio.mp4
Then make the vidéo DV mp4

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --output-file video_dv.mp4

The obtained file has the two video tracks, track 1 and track 2.

Mediainfo attachment:

General
Nombre completo : T:\video_dv.mp4
Formato : MPEG-4
Formato del perfil : Base Media / Version 2
ID códec : mp42 (mp42/dby1/isom)
Tamaño de archivo : 108 GiB
Duración : 3 h 48 min
Tasa de bits general : 67,9 Mb/s
Fecha de codificación : UTC 2020-12-07 17:38:40
Fecha de etiquetado : UTC 2020-12-07 17:38:40

Vídeo #1
ID : 1
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
ID códec : hev1
ID códec/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duración original : 1 h 19 min
Tasa de bits : 65,8 Mb/s
Ancho : 3 840 píxeles
Alto : 2 160 píxeles
Modo velocidad fotogramas : Constante
Bits/(píxel*fotograma) : 0.331
Tamaño de pista : 105 GiB (97%)
Cantidad de pistas original : 105 GiB (97%)
Default : No
Nivel ligero contenido máximo : 602 cd/m2
Nivel ligero fotograma medio máximo : 184 cd/m2
mdhd_Duration : 13698351
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Vídeo #2
ID : 2
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
ID códec : dvhe
ID códec/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duración original : 1 h 19 min
Tasa de bits : 2 102 kb/s
Ancho : 1 920 píxeles
Alto : 1 080 píxeles
Modo velocidad fotogramas : Constante
Bits/(píxel*fotograma) : 0.042
Tamaño de pista : 3,35 GiB (3%)
Cantidad de pistas original : 3,35 GiB (3%)
Default : No
mdhd_Duration : 13698351
Codec configuration box : hvcC+dvcC

My LG TV recognizes it as HDR, not Dolby Vison.

Please help me.
Thank you.
D34DL1N3R

Post by D34DL1N3R »

Can someone help me out here? I am using Grencola's dv-mp4-maker tool pack, but I need to have the resulting final video output to a different drive. I tried editing what I thought was correct in the cmd's, but it didn't work. Here's a link to the tool pack in case someone needs it to take a look. All help is greatly appreciated.

https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0

Edit: I want the final DV mp4 to be output to the root of the D drive.
Psnjerry

Post by Psnjerry »

is it true that dvdfab is faking the dolby vision when creating mp4?
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Do you have Dvdfab result and unmodified source samples?
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

pete19 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:04 am
Did you happen to freeze frame compare the resulting m2ts file with the original movie ?

As per my earlier post, I also remuxed LOTR UHD DV to m2ts file via latest tsmuxer (one for each disc), and the resulting m2ts is slightly less bright in the highlights than the original UHD disc.

Both played back on Oppo 203 tv-led to LG CX.

see here for comparison: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/8739

(ignore blown out highlights, this is a camera setting issue)

Would be interesting to hear your results.
@RESET_9999 is correct, I'm using the x700 which he has shown with his testing outputs the film like the disc is being played.
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:09 pm
I merged mine in a single TS file.
So if FF works for each individual part, that pretty much confirms the issue is related to the length of the movie.
thank you
Glad I could add a tiny bit of information to the discussion :).
PlatypusW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:17 pm
Yes but that isn't enough for me :P

I still haven't got myself a x700 yet, but I dug out my old x800. It can't do dolby vision, but I had some time today and figured it should be close enough to see whats going on (they should be very similar internal players if not the same).

Started with the second hobbit film. The raw m2ts and the tsmuxer file both wouldn't seek. 'Operation not permitted'.

Tried cutting the file with tsmuxer to 2 hours and 45 minutes. Seek worked.

Then I went for 2 hours 50 minutes. Seek didn't work.

Something in tsmuxer caught my eye: "--cut-end=10200000ms"

To me that seemed like such a specific round number. I have now tested both hobbit 1 and 2...

If the file is 2 hours, 46 minutes and 39 seconds or shorter. The file will allow seeking.
If the file is 2 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds or longer. The file will not allow seeking.

Turns out in milliseconds that is:

9999000ms: Seeks
10000000ms: Does not seek

From all this, I believe that if the file is greater than (or equal to) 10 million millisconds then seeking will not work. Anything below seems to work fine.

Does this align with what you have experienced on the x700? Know any titles that might be under this 10 million ms 'limit' that don't allow seeking?

Note: For me, on the latest tsmuxer nightly, the resulting file was always 1 second less than what I put into the 'end'. So if anyone tries this, take this into account if you are trying to be precise.

Why there might be such a limit I'm not sure - maybe someone else might know that :?:

Never seen something related to length in ms, at least 10 million...doesn't really strike me as a number that would normally cause issues in the computing world :?
Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice any problems playing back the cut files? I ask because when I cut a file there was green overlay during playback. I then tested splitting the file by 1GB and while it played back fine, the x700 continued trying to play the file at the end of the clip. This resulted in the last frame being stuck on my TV with the duration increasing beyond the clips length. The player became unresponsive and I had to pull the plug.
jayper wrote:

The x700's media player outputs DTS-HD as LPCM. If you click on the "Display" button on the x700's remote during playback it will list the audio format of the film. For DTS-HD it reports DTS-HD, the number of channels, the sampling rate and the current bit rate. My AVR reports the sound as PCM multi in and lists the correct number of channels being used.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

TickTock wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:49 am

Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice any problems playing back the cut files? I ask because when I cut a file there was green overlay during playback. I then tested splitting the file by 1GB and while it played back fine, the x700 continued trying to play the file at the end of the clip. This resulted in the last frame being stuck on my TV with the duration increasing beyond the clips length. The player became unresponsive and I had to pull the plug.
No I didn’t notice anything like that, but then again I was trying it on an x800 which would have been completely ignoring the secondary Dolby vision track. I’ll try again when I get my x700 :D