Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
daicon

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by daicon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:22 pm
daicon wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:54 pm
Thank you very much for the information. Very useful.
I wanted to ask:
1- What are the chances that nvidia will solve your colour problem with the Nvidia Shield in DoVi? I've been waiting for months, and I'm giving it up :-(
2- Is there any other external player, which is compatible with FEL, and has a PLEX or Kodi interface? (I imagine that sony players do not....)
3- Is there a software option to add FEL support to the Fire Stick?
1- at this point, I lost confidence in Nvidia competence. I don't think this will ever get fixed. (or maybe they just don't care)
2- I don't know any plex/kodi device capable of playing fel with lossless audio
3- The best you can do on the Firestick is to convert FEL to p8.1 + lossy audio. tools here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282
Thank you very much for your response.
Interesting, but it raises some new questions for me.

1- :-(, but I hope that you are wrong and they end up solving it, je

2-If there is no external device that plays FEL without audio loss (Is there expected to be?) Why then is this new process used to create the mkv? (many private trackers already use it)

Is there a "non-external" device that plays it?

3- I followed the manual, and managed to convert it correctly to play firestick 4k. But don't I lose the quality of FEL, when switching to MEL?
On the other hand... I have no audio... xDDD
How do I do it with audio?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Wanderlust3K

Post by Wanderlust3K »

AndreasT wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 pm

According to the list here https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448, Lord of the rings is a MEL release. That explains why it plays triggering DV with proper colors for you with just the outlined steps.

In my case, as mentioned, I have a FEL release (you can see Top Gun in the same forum post), in which case I get this darkening of colors when played back, even if DV is triggered. To get the proper colors I have to convert to MEL using the tool mentioned here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282.

I checked the code of mp4muxer, and there is no indication something changed not allowing you to have multiple input video files. What changed between v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 is that some flags are set in the mp4 file with v1.0.1. I don't know yet what these flags mean, but apparently they make the TV not like the resulting mp4 file from that version.
Oh i see, i tested another old file, a FEL one, and yes you are rigth, looks a lot darker !!

Can some one answer me this:Dont we lose data when converting FEL to MEL ?

BTW, i also tested this:

1) Reencode BL
2) Mux Reencoded Bl.265, EL+RPU.265, audio.ac3 into an .iso file (TSmuxer)
3) Open .iso file with MakeMKV and obtain a STSL.mkv file (BL+EL+RPU)
4) Demux BL+EL+RPU.h265 stream from .mkv file
5) Mux BL+EL+RPU.265 into STSL .mp4 using both mp4muxer v1.0.0 & v.1.0.1, profiles 7 & 8 = Choppy playback & no seeking.

Im getting tyred of all this propietary DV shit, and propietary stuff in general, next TV ill look for open standars support like HDR10+ and multichannel FLAC audio and an android OS and be done with it.
konokage

Post by konokage »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading this thread. Trying to get an understanding. However I'm a bit lost. Hopefully my question is relevant to this thread. Apologies if its not. I did try to search for an answer or clues to how I may be able to solve my issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a used TV, TCL 55R615. It has Dolby Vision and HDR.

My friend gave me a Dolby Vision MKV movie for me to play on this tv using PLEX. However from what I've researched. DV MKV files don't seem to work on TCL tvs with PLEX.

However I found this forum and thread. I downloaded a demo DV MP4 file. And my tv did trigger DV.

Is it possible to take the movie I have and change it over to MP4 to play it in DV mode? If so, could you please let me know what I have to do? Thanks
agneva

Post by agneva »

Did you try my Samples? https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 25#p103529
DV FEL as mp4 SL & mp4 DL
konokage

Post by konokage »

agneva wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 am
Did you try my Samples? https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 25#p103529
DV FEL as mp4 SL & mp4 DL
The Ryan DV DL 07.06.mp4 did trigger DV in PLEX for my TCL tv. Looked Great. So did the mkv HDR10 file.
The Ryan DV SL 05.06.mp4 did trigger DV but the scene was almost all dark.
reik_

Post by reik_ »

Hi all!

what am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 15427 times
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Does the method in the OP still work with the lg oled CX's internal player? Or we have to use some other methods, given all the recent discussions surrounding that tv?
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

reik_ wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 pm
Hi all!

what am I doing wrong?
Did you start the other command window first, and you have that running?
agneva

Post by agneva »

konokage wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 pm

The Ryan DV DL 07.06.mp4 did trigger DV in PLEX for my TCL tv. Looked Great. So did the mkv HDR10 file.
HDR10 should look right, the sky is very smooth
SL 05.06 should look wrong, too dark and the light sky is pumping.
DL 07.06 should look right, no pumping and very fine grain

On CX9LA internal player SL+DL is the same, because the internal player ignores EL.

Do you use Plex on your TCL TV internal ?
reik_

Post by reik_ »

AndreasT wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:12 am

Did you start the other command window first, and you have that running?

yeah, first window is ok.
konokage

Post by konokage »

agneva wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:04 am
konokage wrote:

On CX9LA internal player SL+DL is the same, because the internal player ignores EL.

Yes I use the plex app on the TCL TV. The mp4 works great. But when it comes to my friends DV MKV file. DV won't trigger. What I'd like to do is change the container to DV MP4. But I'm very new to this and don't know the steps to get to it. If its even possible to get to it.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

agneva wrote:
konokage wrote:

Thanks for the sample files. I played them on my CX with internal player and HDR picture looked so much brighter, but DV (both profile 5 and 7) looked darker but the overall picture felt a bit sharper (and more detailed ) compared to HDR. Do you think only the internal player ignores EL? I tried with plex, but didn't find any difference between internal player and plex.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

agneva wrote:
Is that an issue?

EDIT: I just played all 3 of your test files on my C9 (not CX). The DV SL file looks wrong with some kind of duplicated images overlaying each other. The DV DL file and the HDR10 file, however, play fine and look right. So there's sth wrong with the internal player of the CX since you said the DV DL and DV SL file look the same on your CX? That's surprising considering the CX is the newer model compared to the C9. I also heard someone say that was fixed in the latest firmware?
agneva

Post by agneva »

Of course there is an issue.

If you see the white sky is pumping / picture is to dark, the (F)EL is not decoded !

in my opinion the CX can only decode the Metadata (RPU) of DV, not the second HEVC stream.

maybe the older LG TV can do, I don´t know... to find out, I uploaded the samples for you.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

agneva wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm
Of course there is an issue.

If you see the white sky is pumping / picture is to dark, the (F)EL is not decoded !

in my opinion the CX can only decode the Metadata (RPU) of DV, not the second HEVC stream.

maybe the older LG TV can do, I don´t know... to find out, I uploaded the samples for you.
Yeah my c9 plays the DV DL just fine.

Is your CX on the latest firmware?