Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Big-rome

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Big-rome »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:41 pm
susanstone2022 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm
The AM8 has the successor chip to the AM6B+ that everybody is boasting about. And like I said in my post, since the AM6B+ is sold almost everywhere in my country and beyond (Europe) the AM8 is actually cheaper with a more direct availability. So I don't necassarily want it because it's 'better' but because it's more easily available and actually cheaper to get.
you don't get the point. FEL support needs both hardware and software. At this time, software does not support FEL on AM8. It does not matter if it is newer or better or cheaper.
I got that. I know it's being worked on and I have a sony x700 to keep me satisfied for FEL playback while the software part of the AM8 gets optimized. I'll wait if need be, the development at CoreElec seems to have made great progress in the last few months so I'm pretty sure we'll get something working sooner rather than later. And if not then I can just act accordingly then. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
No work is being done on the AM8. S905X4-K doesn't support FEL. Also the AM6B+ is available on aliexpress $152 USD plus taxes and free shipping.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

Big-rome wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:08 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
susanstone2022 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm

you don't get the point. FEL support needs both hardware and software. At this time, software does not support FEL on AM8. It does not matter if it is newer or better or cheaper.
I got that. I know it's being worked on and I have a sony x700 to keep me satisfied for FEL playback while the software part of the AM8 gets optimized. I'll wait if need be, the development at CoreElec seems to have made great progress in the last few months so I'm pretty sure we'll get something working sooner rather than later. And if not then I can just act accordingly then. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
No work is being done on the AM8. S905X4-K doesn't support FEL. Also the AM6B+ is available on aliexpress $152 USD plus taxes and free shipping.
I know they're waiting on drivers and other things so it's in the queue. We tested the Nokia boxes extensively but sent them back to Amazon because one wouldn't start up anymore, so in the end it didn't really matter either way.
The AM6B+'s on Aliexpress for $152 I've found myself too but after you login they all become $184 or more (I have a CC limit of $175). Probably some deal for first time buyers that gets removed after you log in. If yours is a different one that stays at $152 I'll gladly take that deal.

UDPATE: Bit the bullet and bought an AM6B+ from Aliexpress for $190 including shipping by using afterpay :lol: . It was the cheapest I could get it from Aliexpress. Should arrive in about 2 weeks.
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:08 pm
Big-rome wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:08 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:

I know they're waiting on drivers and other things so it's in the queue. We tested the Nokia boxes extensively but sent them back to Amazon because one wouldn't start up anymore, so in the end it didn't really matter either way.
The AM6B+'s on Aliexpress for $152 I've found myself too but after you login they all become $184 or more (I have a CC limit of $175). Probably some deal for first time buyers that gets removed after you log in. If yours is a different one that stays at $152 I'll gladly take that deal.

UDPATE: Bit the bullet and bought an AM6B+ from Aliexpress for $190 including shipping by using afterpay :lol: . It was the cheapest I could get it from Aliexpress. Should arrive in about 2 weeks.
The seller PLAY TV has the cheapest price I found. $166.28 with tax and free shipping. Im waiting on my second AM6B+ now.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

Ordering from Play TV would have cost me $192 all combined. I ordered it from Diffingle Store where it was a little bit cheaper. A second one, nice.
How is fast forwarding FEL movies? Does it crash in CoreElec while attempting to go to the next chapter or fast forwarding?
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:22 am
Ordering from Play TV would have cost me $192 all combined. I ordered it from Diffingle Store where it was a little bit cheaper. A second one, nice.
How is fast forwarding FEL movies? Does it crash in CoreElec while attempting to go to the next chapter or fast forwarding?
Next chapter and fast forwarding works great. Best player to have right now for local playback.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

Any idea what's happening here?

Code: Select all

Choice? [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]?9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- This script export a timecode EDL file for Resolve from DV or HDR10plus source
-- You must have the Dolby Metafier in the tools folder
-- Input can be XML/RPU/MKV/M2TS/TS/MP4/HEVC/JSON
-- If input is not a video, the script assume it's 23.976 unless you add in the filename: '24FPS' '25FPS' '60FPS'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drag and drop a DoVi file and press enter...Z:\Aliens\Extras\RPU.bin
04/15/2024/02:28:40.283000000 metafier: ERROR Incorrect filename range syntax
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Z:\[DoVi]\tools\EDL_maker.py", line 56, in <module>
    convert_frames_to_smpte(args.input, args.output, args.fps)
  File "Z:\[DoVi]\tools\EDL_maker.py", line 31, in convert_frames_to_smpte
    with open(input_file, 'r') as infile, open(output_file, 'w') as outfile:
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Z:\\[DoVi]\\temp.folder78\\shotlist.duration.txt'

The script has been completed. Do you want to quit or go back to main menu (q or m default=q)?

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DylanValenti wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 am
Any idea what's happening here?
Not sure how many times I have to say it but:

''no space nor special characters in the script folder name and path!!! ''

dolby professional tool does not accept []

Z:\[DoVi]
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

Wow I’m an idiot lol. Thanks for the response🫡
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am
HDR10 playback is fine as long as your player doesn't tonemap DV to HDR10 like the x800m2/x700 can do when you have DV set to ''on'' and play a TS/M2TS rip.
Thanks for your response, one more question for you:

You've noted that P5 > P8 due to the colourspace being equivalent to 11.5-bit YCbCr > 10-bit YCbCr.
Is there a noticeable difference between P8 and P5, assuming that it's the same master/streaming quality, on consumer-grade 10-bit panels?
Similar to how there are certain FEL films e.g. Saving Private Ryan where the 12-bit BL+FEL+RPU has noticeable brightness/colour/quality differences compared to the 10-bit BL+RPU?

Sorry to ask you so many questions but you are truly the authority on all things DV!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

dysprosium wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 am

Thanks for your response, one more question for you:

You've noted that P5 > P8 due to the colourspace being equivalent to 11.5-bit YCbCr > 10-bit YCbCr.
Is there a noticeable difference between P8 and P5, assuming that it's the same master/streaming quality, on consumer-grade 10-bit panels?
Similar to how there are certain FEL films e.g. Saving Private Ryan where the 12-bit BL+FEL+RPU has noticeable brightness/colour/quality differences compared to the 10-bit BL+RPU?

Sorry to ask you so many questions but you are truly the authority on all things DV!
Not really.
But any AppleTV webdl has some static color reshaping in the RPU which messes up the colors IMO.
You have plenty of P5 vs HDR10 BL comparisons here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =917134052
Baer2021

Post by Baer2021 »

Hello - I'm running into an issue getting my UGOOS AM6B Plus to boot from the SD card once I've used Rufus to write the image on my PC, moved the correct .dtb file and renamed it along with changing the file extension to "dtb.img" and copied dovi.ko over. When I hold the recovery button it just goes to the Android boot screen and a couple of times it seems like it has tried to use the SD card but I just get a S922X logo that flashes on my screen before the device keeps power cycling itself. Has anyone run into this?
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

dysprosium wrote:
Difference, yes. Noticeable, no.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby- ... 7.2930062/
dysprosium wrote:
10-bit panel can show 12-bit content with dithering, but at least for me, it's basically impossible to tell the difference when 10-bit content is properly implemented. However, Dolby FEL is also 4:2:2 sub-sampling. The difference between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 can be noticed around high contrast edges.
razierklinge

Post by razierklinge »

Baer2021 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am
Hello - I'm running into an issue getting my UGOOS AM6B Plus to boot from the SD card once I've used Rufus to write the image on my PC, moved the correct .dtb file and renamed it along with changing the file extension to "dtb.img" and copied dovi.ko over. When I hold the recovery button it just goes to the Android boot screen and a couple of times it seems like it has tried to use the SD card but I just get a S922X logo that flashes on my screen before the device keeps power cycling itself. Has anyone run into this?
For AM6B+/CoreELEC support, I'd ask here: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/dolby- ... 24273/1320

But from my experience, what you described worked fine for me. I held the recovery button down until I saw the "CoreELEC" screen and then I was good to go.
gpmc01

Post by gpmc01 »

Baer2021 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am
You should raise this issue in Coreelec Forum to get proper support.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

what is a dual-track and dual-layer exactly? can someone describe in simple terms?