Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
4knewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by 4knewbie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 am

daddy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 pm
4knewbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
Hello everyone, my first ever 4k TV (LG C9) is coming this week and I wanted to prepare some DV movies to be ready when it arrives.
However I just can't seem to get mp4base working. I'm using Windows 10 x64 on both my pcs and I've been trying many things for the past 2 days but nothing has worked, I've tried to build the solution for windows x86 and amd64 on VS 10 SP1 and every other version of VS that has come out since then on both of my pcs and I always get the exact same error "Invalid solution configuration"
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing to do before being able to run the soft is to build it by going to its directory and writing the devenv line, right ?

Image

Thank you very kindly for your help
On windows you just need the mp4muxer.exe file
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... master/bin

There is a new version 1.0.1 date from 6 march

Code: Select all

Usage: mp4muxer arg [options]

 Args:       [Options]              Descriptions:
 -----       --------------------   -------------------------------------------------------
 --help,-h                          = Shows the help information.
 --version,-v                       = Shows the version information.
 --input-file,-i <file.ext> [--media-lang <language>]
                            [--media-timescale <timescale>]
                            [--input-video-frame-rate <framerate>]
                                    = Adds elementary stream (ES) file.ext with
                                      media language, timescale, and framerate(only for video,such as 23.97 or 30000/1001).
                                      Supports H264, H265, AC3, EC3, and AC4.
 --output-file, -o <file.mp4>       = Sets the output file name.
 --overwrite                        = Overwrites the existing output .mp4 file if there is one.
 --mpeg4-timescale <arg>            = Overrides the timescale of the entire presentation.
 --mpeg4-brand <arg>                = Specifies the ISO base media file format brand in the format.
 --mpeg4-comp-brand <arg>           = Specifies the ISO base media file format compatible brand(s),
                                      in the format of a comma separated list, for example mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1.
 --output-format <arg>              = Sets the output file format or the specification to which the
                                      output file must conform. Valid values include 'mp4' and 'frag-mp4'.
                                      'mp4' is the default value.
 --mpeg4-max-frag-duration <arg>    = Sets the maximum fragment duration in milliseconds.
                                      By default, the max duration is 2s.
 --dv-profile <arg>                 = Sets the Dolby Vision profile. This option is MANDATORY for
                                      DoVi elementary stream: Valid profile values are:
                                      4 - dvhe.04, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      5 - dvhe.05, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: None.
                                      7 - dvhe.07, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: Blue-ray HDR10.
                                      8 - dvhe.08, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      9 - dvav.09, BL codec: AVC;    EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
 --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>        = Sets the Dolby Vision base layer compatible ID, if the profile index is 8, this option must be set by user.


mp4muxer usage examples:
---------------------------------------------------
To create an audio-only .mp4 file with EC-3 audio:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ec3 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex AC-4 audio and H.264 video:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ac4 -i video.h264 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU into a .mp4 file :
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.264 -o single_track_output.mp4 --dv-profile 0 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU file into a .mp4 file with EC-3 audio track:
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.265 -i audio.ec3 -o output.mp4 --dv-profile 8
            --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite
   Note: For the Dolby vision profile 8, dv-bl-compatible-id is necessary.

This seems to be a new option: --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>

Worked to perfection thank you so much, I wish developers would put this kind of precious info in their Readme files for beginners like me. I also had to download the latest TsMuxer nightly to be able to demux Knives Out because the stable one had issues with the mpls playlist. I hope my C9 can read my hard earned profile 7 mp4 correctly :D

Grencola
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 am

tr000 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:25 am
Ooo, that sounds interesting. Could you share the latest version?
subs: https://bit.ly/2Xdgfz2
choose audio: https://bit.ly/2XmgCHo

I made them over a year ago and can't remember any bugs they had as it's been so long, but I vaguely recall thinking I had to tweak something though :lol: feel free to mess around with it :)

deadchip12
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:40 am

kazuma wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:19 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 am


Could you walk me through your process? Perhaps I'm coming at it wrong.
I just followed the exact steps stated in the original post, except instead of .m2ts file I use .mkv remux. Oh and 1 more thing: I don't include the ac3 audio in the demuxing, just the 2 video layers, but I'm not sure if that matters.
how did you do that with a mkv file without stutters? i have a C9 to, but i'm doing something wrong i think. can you tell me the steps? with m2ts i don't have any issues with the tool of grencola.
Here you go.
https://youtu.be/VifZNt5N6yU

deadchip12
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:41 am

tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 am


Could you walk me through your process? Perhaps I'm coming at it wrong.
I just followed the exact steps stated in the original post, except instead of .m2ts file I use .mkv remux. Oh and 1 more thing: I don't include the ac3 audio in the demuxing, just the 2 video layers, but I'm not sure if that matters.
must be down to my TV then. I have a TCL.
Here are my steps in case you want to recheck:
https://youtu.be/VifZNt5N6yU

shawnc22
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am

ah...I see, so these mkv remuxes that still have both bl and el tracks intact are scene releases :wink:
Last edited by shawnc22 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

tr000
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:09 am

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:41 am
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm


I just followed the exact steps stated in the original post, except instead of .m2ts file I use .mkv remux. Oh and 1 more thing: I don't include the ac3 audio in the demuxing, just the 2 video layers, but I'm not sure if that matters.
must be down to my TV then. I have a TCL.
Here are my steps in case you want to recheck:
https://youtu.be/VifZNt5N6yU
The only difference between our workflows is I use profile 5, and my TV is different. So it's definitely something to do with that, because otherwise I do exactly what you do. I just downloaded a remux of Jumanji, I'll try to see if I can somehow get DV working.

shawnc22
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 am

@tr000, if your tv only supports profile 5, i would suggest merging the bl and el tracks into a single track single layer file using yusecope’s tool in mode 2. then mix the resulting hevc file with mp4muxer like you’ve been doing.

kamus
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by kamus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am

Grencola wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 am
are you using mkv remux or m2ts? had a few remuxes that stuttered, all m2ts have been fine though. I don't own a B9 but many others who do have no problems. you can try yusesope's tool and make a bl+el-rpu hevc then run that through mp4 muxer via profile 7.
I've used both, no luck with either sadly.

planet_hoarder
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by planet_hoarder » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am

daddy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 pm
4knewbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
Hello everyone, my first ever 4k TV (LG C9) is coming this week and I wanted to prepare some DV movies to be ready when it arrives.
However I just can't seem to get mp4base working. I'm using Windows 10 x64 on both my pcs and I've been trying many things for the past 2 days but nothing has worked, I've tried to build the solution for windows x86 and amd64 on VS 10 SP1 and every other version of VS that has come out since then on both of my pcs and I always get the exact same error "Invalid solution configuration"
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing to do before being able to run the soft is to build it by going to its directory and writing the devenv line, right ?

Image

Thank you very kindly for your help
On windows you just need the mp4muxer.exe file
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... master/bin

There is a new version 1.0.1 date from 6 march

Code: Select all

Usage: mp4muxer arg [options]

 Args:       [Options]              Descriptions:
 -----       --------------------   -------------------------------------------------------
 --help,-h                          = Shows the help information.
 --version,-v                       = Shows the version information.
 --input-file,-i <file.ext> [--media-lang <language>]
                            [--media-timescale <timescale>]
                            [--input-video-frame-rate <framerate>]
                                    = Adds elementary stream (ES) file.ext with
                                      media language, timescale, and framerate(only for video,such as 23.97 or 30000/1001).
                                      Supports H264, H265, AC3, EC3, and AC4.
 --output-file, -o <file.mp4>       = Sets the output file name.
 --overwrite                        = Overwrites the existing output .mp4 file if there is one.
 --mpeg4-timescale <arg>            = Overrides the timescale of the entire presentation.
 --mpeg4-brand <arg>                = Specifies the ISO base media file format brand in the format.
 --mpeg4-comp-brand <arg>           = Specifies the ISO base media file format compatible brand(s),
                                      in the format of a comma separated list, for example mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1.
 --output-format <arg>              = Sets the output file format or the specification to which the
                                      output file must conform. Valid values include 'mp4' and 'frag-mp4'.
                                      'mp4' is the default value.
 --mpeg4-max-frag-duration <arg>    = Sets the maximum fragment duration in milliseconds.
                                      By default, the max duration is 2s.
 --dv-profile <arg>                 = Sets the Dolby Vision profile. This option is MANDATORY for
                                      DoVi elementary stream: Valid profile values are:
                                      4 - dvhe.04, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      5 - dvhe.05, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: None.
                                      7 - dvhe.07, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: Blue-ray HDR10.
                                      8 - dvhe.08, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      9 - dvav.09, BL codec: AVC;    EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
 --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>        = Sets the Dolby Vision base layer compatible ID, if the profile index is 8, this option must be set by user.


mp4muxer usage examples:
---------------------------------------------------
To create an audio-only .mp4 file with EC-3 audio:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ec3 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex AC-4 audio and H.264 video:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ac4 -i video.h264 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU into a .mp4 file :
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.264 -o single_track_output.mp4 --dv-profile 0 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU file into a .mp4 file with EC-3 audio track:
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.265 -i audio.ec3 -o output.mp4 --dv-profile 8
            --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite
   Note: For the Dolby vision profile 8, dv-bl-compatible-id is necessary.

This seems to be a new option: --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>
for some reasone v1.0.1 stopped working. mp4-file is created, proper size, but C8 doesn't play it.
previous version (mp4muxer_64bit.exe) still works like a charm, I wonder what changed...

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm
Ah that does seem like a plausible explanation. I personally have never gotten profile 7 files to work on my B9, but people previously in this thread have reported that dual track dual layer profile 7 mp4 remuxes made with mp4muxer play without issue on their LG C# internal players. If anyone with a C# TV can try a mp4 prof7 remux of an FEL movie, that would be helpful.
Dual track dual layer profile 7 mp4 remuxes made with mp4muxer play without any problem on internal player of my c7, c8 and now c9. Except Gemini Man. Still can’t figure out a way to play it smoothly at correct 60fps. The hdr10 version plays fine but not the dolby vision version.
same problem with gemini man. I guess alpha processor is not fast enough for DV 60fps.
which version of mp4muxer are you using?

sureshm3
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sureshm3 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 am

Where can we download previous version (mp4muxer_64bit.exe)? Only v1.01 is available on github and that doesnt seem to work on my C9.

tr000
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:49 am

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am
ah...I see, so these mkv remuxes that still have both bl and el tracks intact are scene releases :wink:
Shhh....
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 am
@tr000, if your tv only supports profile 5, i would suggest merging the bl and el tracks into a single track single layer file using yusecope’s tool in mode 2. then mix the resulting hevc file with mp4muxer like you’ve been doing.
Very interesting, I'd completely written off yusesope's tool due to some previous discussions about not needing lossless audio. I'll look into it and report back.

tr000
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Ok, I've run into a snag with @yusesope's tool and mp4muxer. The BL_EL_RPU hevc is generated, but when I put it into mp4muxer, it does nothing. It just hangs there, the output file is 0 bytes. I'm not sure what @yusesope made his samples from, I'm assuming the Blu-ray .m2ts.
yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm
But I decided to try out his files, and Joker_dvhe.04.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer and Joker_dvhe.05.06_BL_RPU_Single_Track_Single_Layer worked on my TV, the profile 07.06 files did not.

I just need to figure out how to get the BL_EL_RPU file muxed with MP4Muxer. I threw the hevc into TSMuxer with a .AC3 and it produced a fine HDR10 .ts that played perfectly, obviously no DV though. Maybe something is wrong with using .mkv files as source material? But then again I don't think so because putting it through @yusesope's tool produced what appears to be a proper HEVC, just looks like HDR10 when played and is the size of BL+EL.

Oh, the countless hours of torment I've spent grappling with a dynamic HDR metadata format...curse my videophilic condition.

EDIT: Did some more digging. The issue would appear to be with the .mkv. The raw BL and EL provided for Joker work fine, however upon closer inspection the remuxed .mkv I'm working with doesn't have any AUDs per yusesope's tool. To anyone who has produced working Dolby Vision files from remuxed mp4s, and who still has the .mkv, could you cut the first minute or so with MKVToolNix and upload it to Google Drive or similar?
Last edited by tr000 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grencola
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am
ah...I see, so these mkv remuxes that still have both bl and el tracks intact are scene releases :wink:
uhd disc -> dvdfab bdmv folder -> mkvtoolnix mkv remux

shawnc22
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am
ah...I see, so these mkv remuxes that still have both bl and el tracks intact are scene releases :wink:
uhd disc -> dvdfab bdmv folder -> mkvtoolnix mkv remux
oh yea i get that now, i was just referring to that youtube video posted earlier that showed off the other source :lol:. not judging, i’ve done my share of it in the past. out of curiosity though, are you doing that mkv route and including the secondary DV track purely for archival purposes? is the bdmv folder backup not enough?

@tr000, did you run yusecopes tool in -mode 2? that’ll get you a BL+RPU file similar to the dvdfab method that’s meant for profile 5. running the tool without it gets you the EL in its own layer (BL+EL+RPU) that’s not compatible with profile 5. Besides that, yusecope has mentioned in the past that his tool is only meant to be used off of the demuxed tracks from the original decrypted m2ts files. He did not account for any alterations that might’ve happened in the mkv remux process so results will be hit or miss

RESET_9999
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:15 pm

sureshm3 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 am
Where can we download previous version (mp4muxer_64bit.exe)? Only v1.01 is available on github and that doesnt seem to work on my C9.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vuAO2L ... sp=sharing
Please forgive my weak English.
Sony x700 ----> Denon AVR ----> LG OLED C8

Post Reply