Passengers

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rbmcgee

Passengers

Post by rbmcgee »

I just received my box of the movie Passengers from the great retailer in the sky. Inside this 1 box is the BRD, the 3D BRD and the UHD disk. Yippie! All movies should be like this.

I just ripped the 3D version (which is the reason I bought this box). I noticed that the 3D version just has DTSHD audio. I can't rip, or even see the UHD disk because I don't have a blessed drive (but it's an LG, so keep a goin' Mike). I also don't even have a 4K display (just a 1080p projector). I assume the UHD version has Atmos audio.

Here's my question, if I did have a blessed drive, could I grab the Atmos audio from the UHD disk and merge it into the 3D version? I would guess with mkvmerge. Would this work?

It's pretty simple to grab the 3D version without any audio. Can I grab the audio (from the UHD) without any video?
captin

Re: Passengers

Post by captin »

I've done this many times, both with adding an atmos track from the 2D bluray to a 3D bluray and from a UHD Bluray, the process is exactly the same. So far all the movies i've done this with have had exactly the same running time to the frame so everything remains in sync.

Just rip both movies complete with the tracks you want, easier said than done without the correct drive.

Drop the 3D bluray rip in to mkvtoolnix, need to add the UHD file not drag it, you want the two files to run at the same time not one after the other.
Deselect the UHD video and any other audio's or subs you don't need duplicated.

Mux.

If the running time is different, different logos in the into maybe, then you may need to add an offset to the track you are adding in, that may take some trial and error but can be done with mkvtoolnix.
rbmcgee

Re: Passengers

Post by rbmcgee »

Thanks very much captin.

I've got one of those LG WH14NS40, SVC Code: NS50, M. Date: 12/17 and 1.03 firmware.

Perhaps when the mood strikes I will attempt a downgrade and have at it.

At least I know it's possible.

Thanks again captin.