Close encounters of the third kind 40th anniversary UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dcleys

Close encounters of the third kind 40th anniversary UHD

Post by dcleys »

Hi all, I have been looking for answers all over the forum for this, but can't find anything really helpful. I am trying to rip Close encounters of the third kind 4K 40th anniversary disc, but the disc just keeps spinning and never opens in MakeMKV 1.14.3 for Mac (or previous versions) on a MacBook Pro. I also tried on a Windows 10 PC with the latest version of MakeMKV, but it won't read either.

I have the Asus BW-16D1HT with LibreDrive enabled firmware MK 3.10.

Any suggestions please? Would this just be a bad disc, or do I have to downgrade the firmware again in order to be able to read this.

Thanks for your time!
SamuriHL

Re: Close encounters of the third kind 40th anniversary UHD

Post by SamuriHL »

Sounds like a bad disc potentially. I'd clean it with a microfiber and see if that helps. Yes, I'm sure it "looks" pristine but these discs sometimes ship with a small coating of oil that the BW-16D1HT really doesn't like. I got from center of the disc straight out to the edge and repeat all the way around the disc with a microfiber cloth and that's always worked for me.
Kasey

Post by Kasey »

+1 on this disc for me as well. Apologies if I should have started a new thread but I have pretty much the same deal with my LibreDrive-enabled WH14NS40 LG drive. It sounds lie a jet engine attempting to take off and then stutters as it tries.
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Has anyone been able to rip this yet? I did spelunk the forums for any info.

Just purchased an Asus BW-16D1HT with LibreDrive enabled 3.10 and was able to successfully rip my first UHD (Mission:Impossible Fallout), but the second disc was Close Encounters 4K (not the 40th anniversary but I'm sure the disc is the same) and it fails to even mount. Just spins and makes a terrible racket in the process.

Is it the drive, the disc, the firmware, or a combo?

I've ripped nearly 400 DVDs and Blu-rays with a previous non-UHD drive, which worked flawlessly. Really was looking forward to moving up to 4K.

Many thanks

macOS Catalina
MakeMKV v1.14.7 (registered)
Download the latest hash key file
HayItzDatGuy

Post by HayItzDatGuy »

I backed up the disc with no trouble with the same drive, firmware and version of MakeMKV (albeit on Windows).
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Interesting. I'll see if I have any better luck using Windows, I've a Mac laptop with Boot Camp installed I could try it on.

Anyone had any luck with this movie ripped on a Mac? Is that the issue?

Thanks
Tom899

Post by Tom899 »

I just bought the disk today, my Asus BW-16D1HT with LibreDrive enabled firmware MK 3.10 won't read it. Anyone have luck yet? maybe another firmware?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Telling us what error messages you're getting would help a lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Tom899

Post by Tom899 »

No error messages at all. It try's to read it for about a minute or two and then just says "no disc inserted"
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Same here, no errors. It then simply ejects the disc.

I'm going to try installing MakeMKV on a Mac running Windows tomorrow to see if that works, if not I'm rating the disc to Amazon. Perhaps it's the disc - I'll try again in a year.
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Tried tonight to mount the disc using Windows, albeit via Boot Camp on a MacBook, still no joy. Sending the disc back and will try again later in the year.

Two out of my first three UHD discs ripped ok. Will be ordering Die Hard tomorrow and trying that.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"No disk inserted" means that the drive OR the operating system (usually the drive) cannot detect a compatible format on the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TeaspoonVFX

Post by TeaspoonVFX »

Also getting an error for Close Encounters 40th Anniversary UHD

MakeMKV v1.15.1 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/AACS/MKB_RO.inf' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '14024704'
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '14024704'
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '23068672'
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '23068672'
Failed to open disc

Running on a friendly Asus BW-16D1HT with LibreDrive enabled firmware MK 3.10
dcleys

Post by dcleys »

I received a new disc today of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and still unable to rip this disc. This time, it is the German version of the movie, but it still throws the read error. Using a Asus BW-16D1HT with firmware MK 3.10, MakeMKV 1.15.1 on a MacBook Pro and LibreDrive v6.0... The drive is making a lot of noise in the process as well, trying to read the disc.
dcleys

Post by dcleys »

A small update. Yesterday I was able to successfully make a full disc back-up with the same setup. I then was able to rip the movie from the back-up.