WH16NS40 Not Recognizing 2 UHD Disks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
curle

WH16NS40 Not Recognizing 2 UHD Disks

Post by curle »

I have an LG WH16NS40 NS50 that I purchased early December 2018 and immediately crossflashed with Asus BW-16D1HT DE firmware 3.01. For the last few months, it has served me pretty well with UHD disks I purchased and then ran through MakeMKV (currently using 14.3). Of about 20 UHD disks I now own, I have only run into 2 disks that the drive fails to read. Of course with the drive failing to read the disks at all, MakeMKV simply reflects empty drive. To experiment, I used the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) and reflashed the drive with DE version of Asus 3.02, then MK version of Asus 3.10, and finally the MK version of LG 1.03. All flashes successful. Tried reading these 2 UHD disks after each flash and encountered same failure to read. Also, rechecked a few of my other UHD disks after each flash and each read successfully with each version of firmware as they did initially with DE firmware 3.01. The 2 disks in question are Saving Private Ryan and First Man. Both UHD disks are new, clean and play without issue in my Sony UBP-X800 player in my home theater. Anyone have any thoughts on why the LG WH16NS40 running any of the available UHD-friendly firmwares would fail to read these 2 particular disks?
jonghotti

Re: WH16NS40 Not Recognizing 2 UHD Disks

Post by jonghotti »

It happens. Everyone has a story about a disc or discs they can't rip. A few "rules" I live by when 4K disc ripping:
1. Always backup (into BDMV folders or MKV files) a 4K UHD Blu Ray before playing it back on a stand alone player.
2. If you have the means to own an ASUS and an LG, leave the ASUS on 3.01 firmware and the LG on 1.02 firmware and if a disc should fail on one drive, odds are it will work on the other, and vice versa.
3. Clean, clean, clean. Even a disk brand new out of the package may contain residue on it and fail to read. What kind of residue, you got me....
4. Never hesitate to take a disc back to the place or purchase for an exchange. First day runs of disks seem to have the most problems
curle

Post by curle »

Thanks for reply, jonghotti. Unfortunately, I can't backup these 2 discs as my LG WH16NS40 drive can't open them. Like I said, I've successfully backed up almost 20 UHD disks (probably 100+ Bluray) and do understand/follow the unofficial procedures pretty well. First thing I do after purchasing new UHD or Bluray is to backup in BDMV structure and also make an MKV to put on my NAS to access through Kodi so I don't even really ever use the disks after that. After trying to access these 2 particular disks for a minute or so, my current drive just stops and gives up. As always, thoroughly cleaned the 2 discs even though new and verified that both open and play fine in my stand alone player as I mentioned in original post. Are you saying that I should return discs for exchange that open and play fine in standalone, but can't be opened by LG WH16NS40 and I might get a disc that can be opened by the LG drive? I thought about ordering an actual Asus BW-16D1HT (not just my WH16NS40 running Asus firmware), but decided to go ahead and order an LG WH16NS60 which will arrive tomorrow and will try the "official" drive route. I'll just chalk these 2 disks up as unreadable by the WH16NS40 and move on. Thanks again.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

You're doing everything you can my man. There's still some voodoo involved with 4K ripping so this will happen from time to time. Trying to decide what will be easier/cheaper to send you to try :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
curle

Post by curle »

All good now. Received WH16NS60 and flashed to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.01-NM00100-211711202000. Reads both problem discs with no issue.