Decryption On The Fly

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
JeffR1

Decryption On The Fly

Post by JeffR1 »

Iv'e been SlySoft and now RedFox for many years now and it's been great, the program gives me the ability to decrypt discs so I can use MadVR with out having to save the entire disc contents to the hard drive, a practice that doesn't really interest me at all.

However with the coming of UHD discs, RedFox has fallen behind, it can take up to a number of weeks or even a month or more for a specific decryption to happen, so I come over here and when I submitted a dump file, it was decrypted the very nest day; very impressive _ thanks Mike !

I never liked saving movies in a MKV container, I always found choosing the right audio and video track is hit or miss, especially when it comes to forced subtitles, creating an entire ISO of the disc is far simpler and easier and most free players seem to work better with ISO's then trans-coded movies in a MKV file.

What I do now is to make an entire back-up of the disc and use ImgBurn to turn that into an ISO _ it's a long drawn out process.

It would be great to have the ability to create an ISO directly with out having to jump through all these hoops, or even better, to simply decrypt the disc on the fly so it can be played directly with MPC-BE for example.

I would happily pay for this function, I'm sure others would too.
SamuriHL

Re: Decryption On The Fly

Post by SamuriHL »

That's not super realistic for a program called Make*MKV* to add. :) I would simply automate the process if I were you. I don't know all the right command line options off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look them all up but I'll give you a head start at least:

Backup to folder:

https://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt

makemkvcon64.exe backup --decrypt --cache=16 --noscan -r --progress=-same disc:X y:\FOLDER\TO\WRITE

X = the drive number (0, 1, 2, etc)
y = The folder you want to write the backup to

https://www.ephestione.it/how-to-use-im ... up-to-dvd/

@for /d %%i in (*.*) do "e:\program files\tools\imgburn\imgburn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile /src "%%i\" /dest "F:\Burn\%%i.iso" /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.01" /VOLUMELABEL "%%i" /rootfolder yes /noimagedetails /start /close

Something like that to build the ISO from the backup folder. The caveat is that you'll have to figure out how to name the backup folder from the DISC which I don't know how to do. Hell, if someone knows and can post it that'd be awesome cause I'd like to update my backup script that i use to decrypt new titles. But that's the start of a batch file that you could stick the disc in the drive and run to create an unprotected ISO.
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

It may not be realistic, but I thought it needed to be said.
Thanks for the links, I'll have to read into that, it's a but beyond my understanding.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If I get any free time I'll take a look and see if there's any options to parse the disc title from makemkvcon. I didn't see any but who knows. If so you can create the backup folder and then the second command will automagically pick it up and create the ISO. I don't know when I'll have time.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Just because I find the idea useful myself for my own workflow, I put together the script for you.

You need to change the following in this script to make it work for your system:

backup_dir make it point to where you want MakeMKV to create the decrypted folder backup
iso_dir make it point to where you want ImgBurn to create your ISO file
vol f: change f: to the drive of your optical drive you want to rip from
disc:1 change the number to the number of the drive you want to rip from (I tried dev:f: as an example and makemkvcon didn't seem to like it)

NOTE: I've not tested the ImgBurn part of this but it should work as advertised. Just copy the code block and paste it into something like backup.bat and run it and it'll create your decrypted ISO for you. Enjoy.

Code: Select all

@echo off

set backup_dir=d:\BACKUP
set iso_dir=d:\ISO

for /f "tokens=1-5*" %%1 in ('vol f:') do (
   set vol=%%6 & goto done
)
:done
mkdir %backup_dir%\%vol%

makemkvcon64.exe backup --decrypt --cache=16 --noscan -r --progress=-same disc:1 %backup_dir%\%vol%

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile /src "%backup_dir%\%vol%" /dest "%iso_dir%\%vol%.iso" /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.50" /VOLUMELABEL "%vol%" /rootfolder yes /noimagedetails /start /close

pause
Last edited by SamuriHL on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

JeffR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks for the links, I'll have to read into that, it's a but beyond my understanding.
It's been said before, with response directly from Mike. Example:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... tion#p1817

Albeit it being a post from 2009 and yet here we are 10 years later and no such feature. So, that may provide a hint as to the priority of this for Mike.

With the arrival of his UHD support and the sudden interest in MakeMKV because of this your post is not the only one asking for this. I've read plenty of others as well and still here we are.

It's a nice feature, yes, I am in agreement with you, but appears that Mike may not be in a rush to add it. Most likely to SamuriHL's point that this is primarily an MKV creation tool.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

You can decrypt on the fly with makemkv https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 08&#p74508
You can use other programs besides vlc but they need to support the aacs key file
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:43 am
You can decrypt on the fly with makemkv https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 08&#p74508
You can use other programs besides vlc but they need to support the aacs key file
Thanks for that Billy. I can’t stand VLC playback support for 4K (personally think it’s buggy and lacking features), but for those who don’t care that workaround can be very useful.
Last edited by st4evr on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

st4evr wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:38 pm
JeffR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 pm
It's been said before, with response directly from Mike. Example:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... tion#p1817

Albeit it being a post from 2009 and yet here we are 10 years later and no such feature. So, that may provide a hint as to the priority of this for Mike.

With the arrival of his UHD support and the sudden interest in MakeMKV because of this your post is not the only one asking for this. I've read plenty of others as well and still here we are.

It's a nice feature, yes, I am in agreement with you, but appears that Mike may not be in a rush to add it. Most likely to SamuriHL's point that this is primarily an MKV creation tool.
Mike did say this though, right after the post next to it.
"This is something that is actively considered"

Back then there was not really a need for it, one a had a clear choice, if you wanted one, you went to SlySoft or the other, MakeMKV.
Things have become more complex, and now with the lack of proper support from RedFox, people like myself are looking for simpler alternatives.
There's DeUHD, but at 99Euros, that's about 160.00 Canadian, it's just a bit more then I want to spend, but I'm thinking about it.

Given the complexity of UHD discs and that fact that we've all gotten this far is quite something, I didn't think it was going to happen.
With that said I'm sure Mike has his hands full as new discs are released, but with one program where the development has come to a slow down, and another that's just a bit too expensive, I think there is hole to be filled here.

Alternately if one has wheel barrel full of money, there's the Lumagen or when Madshi comes out with his Envy, there won't be any need for decryption anymore, at least not for me, but the cost...

And thanks SamuriHL, I'll delve into that as time permits !
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

There's always a need for decryption. The whole point of a product called make mkv is to make mkvs. And the reason we do that is to make movie watching easier. Instead of grabbing a disc off the shelf I can simply load up jriver or plex and watch full quality uhd off my nas. That's how I back up. Those that want a complete backup with menu and extras use iso. I get it but it's not what this product was designed for. The name says it all... it's not makeiso. Lol but he did give us the folder backup so while it may take a little longer it's still quite possible with that script to stick a disc in, click the bat file, and pop out an unprotected iso with ease. You'll likely have to tweak the script a bit to get it to fully work but if you have issues that you can't fix let me know. It should just become as simple as put the disc in and run the bat file... done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

OK, I won't argue anymore, I think I've gotten my point across.

And a little off the subject, I checked the prices out on the Lumagen, they start at around 3,000.00$ US and go up to around 7,000.00$ ! :shock:

That's insane just to make sure the grass is the right colour and and perceivable colour banding will be taken care, assuming it can do that.
It will be interesting to see what Madshi charges for his unit.

At those prices DeUHD, is a real bargain.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

About the same at the lumagen. It's been discussed. It's not going to be a couple hundred bucks it's going to be a couple thousand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

A couple of thousand is better then 3 to 7. 8)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

We shall see. Likely before the year ends from what I've read. Could be an interesting device.
hiyo33

Post by hiyo33 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm
Just because I find the idea useful myself for my own workflow, I put together the script for you.

You need to change the following in this script to make it work for your system:

backup_dir make it point to where you want MakeMKV to create the decrypted folder backup
iso_dir make it point to where you want ImgBurn to create your ISO file
vol f: change f: to the drive of your optical drive you want to rip from
disc:1 change the number to the number of the drive you want to rip from (I tried dev:f: as an example and makemkvcon didn't seem to like it)

NOTE: I've not tested the ImgBurn part of this but it should work as advertised. Just copy the code block and paste it into something like backup.bat and run it and it'll create your decrypted ISO for you. Enjoy.

Code: Select all

@echo off

set backup_dir=d:\BACKUP
set iso_dir=d:\ISO

for /f "tokens=1-5*" %%1 in ('vol f:') do (
   set vol=%%6 & goto done
)
:done
mkdir %backup_dir%\%vol%

makemkvcon64.exe backup --decrypt --cache=16 --noscan -r --progress=-same disc:1 %backup_dir%\%vol%

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile /src "%backup_dir%\%vol%" /dest "%iso_dir%\%vol%.iso" /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.50" /VOLUMELABEL "%vol%" /rootfolder yes /noimagedetails /start /close

pause
Thanks SamuriHL for this script. I am having a problem with the iso creation part of the script. WHen imageburn goes to find the folder where makemkv dumped to, it cant find it and fails with message saying "No file or folders were added to image", "System cannot find path specified". The script is adding " \* " to the path causing it to fail. Any quick fix for this ?

Here is log of imageburn:

I 12:50:58 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 12:50:59 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 12:50:59 Total Physical Memory: 8,318,596 KiB - Available: 4,508,524 KiB
I 12:50:59 Initialising SPTI...
I 12:50:59 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 12:50:59 -> Drive 1 - Info: ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 (G:) (SCSI)
I 12:50:59 -> Drive 2 - Info: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01 (E:) (USB 2.0)
I 12:50:59 -> Drive 3 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GP50NB40 1.00-21 (F:) (USB 2.0)
I 12:50:59 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM, 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM and 1 BD-RE XL!
I 12:50:59 Operation Started!
I 12:50:59 Building Image Tree...
E 12:50:59 FindFirstFile Failed!
E 12:50:59 FindFileName: h:\BACKUP\FAST7_NA \*
E 12:50:59 Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.
I 12:50:59 Calculating Totals...
E 12:50:59 No files or folders were added to the image!