Decryption On The Fly

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Decryption On The Fly

Post by SamuriHL »

That's rather strange as I'm using the volumne name of the disc to create the folder and that's what's also used as input into ImgBurn. I'm not adding a \ on the end of it so I'm really not sure where it's coming from. I'd have to do some investigation but I'm off for the day. I'll see if I can take a look at it tomorrow if I get a chance.
hiyo33

Post by hiyo33 »

Dont ask me why this works but I removed the quotations from the variables in the imageburn commmand line, and now it works. I still get a space inserted right after the name but other than that back in business.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile /src %backup_dir%\%vol% /dest %iso_dir%\%vol%.iso /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.50" /VOLUMELABEL "%vol%" /rootfolder yes /noimagedetails /start /close
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Glad you were able to work through it. I did not get a chance to look at it today. It's a handy script if it works.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

The new MakeMKV has a feature for this in Integration in Settings. There's System, System 32bit, VLC and MPC-HC. All ticked. But somehow, the only one working is VLC. I can't still open an m2ts from the disc without a program like AnyDVD, what's going on, do I need to restart the computer or something?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's not what it's for. It's not an AnyDVD replacement. It's an integration with programs that use the open source libraries to open discs. It replaces the implementation of that library in these programs to include decryption. But it's not a general purpose on the fly decryption at the Windows level.
JavierAlbadalejo

I don't understand. So there's no way to decrypt discs on Windows Explorer grounds other than AnyDVD/DVDFab Passkey?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:28 pm
I don't understand. So there's no way to decrypt discs on Windows Explorer grounds other than AnyDVD/DVDFab Passkey?
What do you mean "on windows explorer grounds"? Windows Explorer can't play M2TS files...
Most programs that do, can use the libmmbd method.
JavierAlbadalejo

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:01 pm
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:28 pm
What do you mean "on windows explorer grounds"? Windows Explorer can't play M2TS files...
You know how AnyDVD allows you to play m2ts from the disc with Windows Explorer because it cracks open the disc, sort of decrypts it. I'm looking for something that does the same. Sometimes, there are hidden videos within a disc that are only accesible through there, and I don't want to rip them, sometimes I just want to plug and play them. What I esentially mean is, being able to go to the STREAM folder, open a m2ts file, and not have the 'could not open file' with MPC-HC or VLC. Being able to play it.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 pm
You know how AnyDVD allows you to play m2ts from the disc with Windows Explorer because it cracks open the disc, sort of decrypts it.
Right, which is what I said can't be done with this. This is a method for replacing the libmmd implementation that programs like VLC and others use to add decryption into the playback pipeline.
This isn't going to decrypt a disc on the fly like copying files off a disc to a folder. So no, this won't work for those use cases.

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
I'm looking for something that does the same. Sometimes, there are hidden videos within a disc that are only accesible through there, and I don't want to rip them, sometimes I just want to plug and play them. What I esentially mean is, being able to go to the STREAM folder, open a m2ts file, and not have the 'could not open file' with MPC-HC or VLC. Being able to play it.

The other part you talk about, being able to play m2ts files in VLC or MPC-HC, WOULD work. You would open the m2ts files within MPC-HC or VLC and select the m2ts file from within the player, and using this method, it will work.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:01 pm
I need to see if JRiver MC would support this. I suspect it would.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 pm
It should.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
You know how AnyDVD allows you to play m2ts from the disc with Windows Explorer because it cracks open the disc
Ok, let me clarify.
If you want to play M2TS file from the disc, then it has to be (1) decrypted; and (2) played back (with some software). Windows explorer is not playback software, the video is played by some player (for example mplayer or vlc).

AnyDVD and Passkey decrypt in kernel mode, using a filter driver or virtual CD driver. The player reads the m2ts file, figures it is already decrypted, and just plays it.

MakeMKV method is different - no kernel-mode component is installed whatsoever. Explorer sees original encrypted file. When you click, the same player tries to open the same file. Then it sees that the file is encrypted, loads libmmbd, and decrypts m2ts on-the-fly before playback. With AnyDVD decryption happens in kernel. With MakeMKV - in player.

The upside of AnyDVD method is that it works for all players that could possibly play unencrypted m2ts file. Downside - you have to install a kernel mode driver (that runs with full system privileges) and (possibly) use virtual drives.
Upside of MakeMKV method is that there is no kernel-mode or privileged code whatsoever, only a user-mode API library that just works. Downside - the player has to support libmmbd API.

10 years ago AnyDVD method was a clear winner - almost no player supported user-mode decryption API. MakeMKV had a "streaming" feature that was close, but still much less convenient then kernel-mode transparent decryption. These days - I'm not so sure, as I can't even think on top of my head of any player that can play m2ts and does not support libmmbd API (except for "official" ones that require patching anyway).
Specifically - VLC, mplayer, mpv, Kodi, JMC26, Handbrake - all support libmmbd API out of the box.

So that was my question - why do you need decrypted file in windows explorer. And if you want to copy M2TS files from the disc with encryption removed, MakeMKV has full disc backup mode. It will do just that - copy M2TS from disc to folder, optionally decrypted. It would be faster than copy all files from disc with explorer, plus you will get integrity checking in a process.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 pm
It should.
I figured as much. I'll give it a try when I get a free minute and check it out. That would be nice.
JavierAlbadalejo

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:18 pm
So that was my question - why do you need decrypted file in windows explorer. And if you want to copy M2TS files from the disc with encryption removed, MakeMKV has full disc backup mode. It will do just that - copy M2TS from disc to folder, optionally decrypted. It would be faster than copy all files from disc with explorer, plus you will get integrity checking in a process.
Simply, because I want to be able to check the insides of the disc, etc without having to make a full backup which takes space on my drive and isn't as fast as you think it is. I don't want to make 40GBs just for a file I want to check out inside the disc. AnyDVD decrypts the disc and somehow makes me able to go inside the disc, check the STREAM folder, and play any m2ts with no problem, from the disc, without having to rip it. That's what I want; for the things I wanna check out that I don't wanna bother ripping for. Problem is, without decryption, all it does is give 'cannot play file'..
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Simply, because I want to be able to check the insides of the disc, etc without having to make a full backup which takes space on my drive and isn't as fast as you think it is. I don't want to make 40GBs just for a file I want to check out inside the disc. AnyDVD decrypts the disc and somehow makes me able to go inside the disc, check the STREAM folder, and play any m2ts with no problem, from the disc, without having to rip it. That's what I want; for the things I wanna check out that I don't wanna bother ripping for. Problem is, without decryption, all it does is give 'cannot play file'..
Ok, so you're not following mike's and my replies to this. You CAN do this with MakeMKV. BUT there's a caveat to it. I would use the player that's configured for libmmbd (mpc-hc, vlc, whatever) to open the file from the disc rather than trying to open it from Windows explorer. If the m2ts file is associated with a player that uses libmmbd then of course it'll work from explorer, as well. What will then happen is when the player goes to play the encrypted m2ts file on the disc, it'll use the hooks into MakeMKV through the libmmbd library to do on the fly decryption. No ripping needed. That is the part I think you're missing.