Life of Pi - 7 minutes of repeated footage at the end?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
VarHD

Life of Pi - 7 minutes of repeated footage at the end?

Post by VarHD »

When I ripped this movie, MakeMKV showed me two titles on the list, I think one had more subtitle tracks than the other, but they both have identical runtime of 2:14:33. I went with the first one.

Today I actually watched the movie and noticed that it has ~7 minutes of extra video-only (no sound) footage at the very end. That is, the movie itself incl. all credits ends at 2:07:08 (28 chapters) and then there's chapter 29 which goes from 2:07:08 to 2:14:33 and it contains the entire beginning/intro + one scene from a later point in the movie.

My question is... WTF? ;) I mean, is this MakeMKV's fault or is this "correct", as in - that's what's there on the disc? Initially I thought maybe this is some sort of alternative camera angle kind of thing, but I have other Blu-rays which do actually have alternative camera angles and in those cases MakeMKV actually shows this info when it lists the disc content so that's probably not it. Anyone else has the same issue with this movie?
Thornback

Re: Life of Pi - 7 minutes of repeated footage at the end?

Post by Thornback »

Don't have this issue with Life of Pie but the same happens with 28 Days Later. The credits roll and then there is some weird footage after that, never figured this out.

Have you tried playing the disc to see what happens after the credits?
VarHD

Re: Life of Pi - 7 minutes of repeated footage at the end?

Post by VarHD »

Thornback wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 am
Have you tried playing the disc to see what happens after the credits?
I can't do that. I don't have a "real" 4K system/player yet so the only way I can watch UHD content is by ripping it from the disc first.

That said, if it happened to you with "28 Days Later", did you try to play that disc in a real player (assuming you have such option)? :)