Manufacturing Defects as Protection?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rui-no-onna

Re: Manufacturing Defects as Protection?

Post by rui-no-onna »

gyrfalcon wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 am
Avengers Endgame UHD.

Fails in exactly the same spot every time. Disc looks good. Please don't say I have a bad drive or make excuses for MakeMKV. It's just not working like other UHDs.
Simple way to check, try ripping to ISO using ImgBurn or something. Or heck, just copy ‘/BDMV/STREAM/00055.m2ts’ to hard drive using Windows Explorer or something. If either fails, your disc has a problem.

Apparently, Avengers: Endgame has already sold 2.78 million Blu-ray copies in the US within the first 3 weeks. How many of those are 4K, I have no idea. However, with how many they manufacture, some failures are inevitable.
gyrfalcon

Post by gyrfalcon »

rui-no-onna wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:33 am
gyrfalcon wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 am
Avengers Endgame UHD.

Fails in exactly the same spot every time. Disc looks good.
Apparently, Avengers: Endgame has already sold 2.78 million Blu-ray copies in the US within the first 3 weeks. How many of those are 4K, I have no idea. However, with how many they manufacture, some failures are inevitable.
It was bad media. UHD almost seems like a laser disc trying to get a good image.
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

handcraftedbits wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm
I've gotta ask, are the discs you're reading by chance some of the recently-released Pixar movies that feature a UHD disc stacked on top of the BD bonus features disc?

Because while only in rare instances have I had issues, in the case of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory, right out of the box the two UHDs had very visible scratches because of, I assume, the discs being stacked. Naturally those scratches ruined any hopes of ripping the discs successfully.
I received Finding Dory from Amazon and could not make a successful backup of the main feature. I could see marks on the disk so I asked for a replacement and had the same problem with that (although not at the same point). Really frustrating. Stacking the disks is causing scratches and seems to be affecting the drive's ability to read without error.

I will try a full disk backup with protection and see what happens.

I bought a few of the Pixar UHD that have disks stacked and they were all fine. Just Finding Dory has this problem.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

I have now had problems ripping two recently bought Pixar movies - Inside Out and Finding Dory. Discs came straight from the case into my drive. I have been able to rip all sorts of movies (DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD Blu-Ray/CDs) for months with no issues. I gotta think there is something going on with these discs. I bought several more 4K movies from the mouse over the last few weeks (Moana, Finding Nemo, Zootopia, Toy Story 1-4, Avengers Endgame) which I haven't gotten around to ripping so I will need to try those next to see if I am having the same issue. In the meantime I am cleaning the discs with liquid soap and water to see if it makes any difference. If that doesn't work next step will be trying to clean with Isopropanol alcohol.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Quick update. I can confirm that I have been able to rip all of my Disney/Pixar 4K movies that I have bought EXCEPT for Inside Out. I did have problems with a few of them (e.g. Finding Dory and Toy Story 4) but after cleaning the discs with isopropyl alcohol they ripped successfully. The common thread on all of these is that they did come in stacked cases so I wonder if there is something going on there. There were other discs that came in stacked cases that I had no issues with and I didn't need to clean, so it doesn't happen to all discs that come in stacked cases.

I am wondering what is going on with Inside Out though. Since this was the first disc I had issues with I am wondering if some of the initial cleaning methods I used (e.g. liquid hand soap) made the problem worse (this was before i read that using isopropyl alcohol was the best method). All other discs that I had problems with I used isopropyl alcohol as the initial and only cleaning method and it fixed the problem every time.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Just to follow up and close the loop, Disney replaced my Inside Out disc for me and the new disc rips without issue. It must have been some manufacturing problem with the original disc. Going forward the only cleaning method I will be using in the future is using isopropyl alcohol as that seems to have fixed some other discs I was having issues with.
hoopin4you

Post by hoopin4you »

Rojma wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:20 pm
Just to follow up and close the loop, Disney replaced my Inside Out disc for me and the new disc rips without issue. It must have been some manufacturing problem with the original disc. Going forward the only cleaning method I will be using in the future is using isopropyl alcohol as that seems to have fixed some other discs I was having issues with.
That's good to know. I just bought a Cars 2 4K/BR/Digital Code from BB and the 4K disc will not copy no matter what I've tried. I'm trying the BR disc now, so if it rips fine, I'll do the same as you did. Did you contact them via phone or email?
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

hoopin4you wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 am
That's good to know. I just bought a Cars 2 4K/BR/Digital Code from BB and the 4K disc will not copy no matter what I've tried. I'm trying the BR disc now, so if it rips fine, I'll do the same as you did. Did you contact them via phone or email?
If I recall correctly I think it was a combination of both. I think I filled out some form on their page. After a few back and forth "troubleshooting" steps via email I think they called me to finish troubleshooting and gathering information. Of course I couldn't tell them that the problem was that I couldn't rip the disc - I just told them that it wouldn't play on multiple Xbox Ones and that all other discs, including all other Disney/Pixar discs played fine.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

One other thing. I think cleaning with liquid soap may have contributed to making the problem worse. Unfortunately it was advise that I took from the interwebs. I only now clean with isopropyl alcohol and it almost always corrects disc read errors, assuming the disc is not damaged and has no scratches. I think the liquid soap may have added to the damage on the disc, although there were no visible defects. If I would've just used isopropyl alcohol on the Inside Out disc I have a feeling it most likely would have corrected the problem (like it did on the other Disney/Pixar disc that I had issues with).
hoopin4you

Post by hoopin4you »

Rojma wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:34 pm
If I recall correctly I think it was a combination of both. I think I filled out some form on their page. After a few back and forth "troubleshooting" steps via email I think they called me to finish troubleshooting and gathering information. Of course I couldn't tell them that the problem was that I couldn't rip the disc - I just told them that it wouldn't play on multiple Xbox Ones and that all other discs, including all other Disney/Pixar discs played fine.
Cool...thanks for the info. Yeah, I only tried the cleaning with the isopropyl alcohol, but it didn't work. I was able to rip the BR disc, so at least the kids have a copy they can watch on Plex.
Procat

Post by Procat »

hoopin4you wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 am
Rojma wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:34 pm
Cool...thanks for the info. Yeah, I only tried the cleaning with the isopropyl alcohol, but it didn't work. I was able to rip the BR disc, so at least the kids have a copy they can watch on Plex.
I’m not sure what drive you are using but I tried ripping Bridge on the River Kwai and Mask of Zorro (both were 4K) with my LG16NS40 F/W 1.02 to no avail. I changed the drive to LG16NS60 F/W 1.00 and both ripped fine. If you post what drive you are using one of the more knowledgeable people maybe able let you know if this is possible, they helped me.
hoopin4you

Post by hoopin4you »

Procat wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 am
I’m not sure what drive you are using but I tried ripping Bridge on the River Kwai and Mask of Zorro (both were 4K) with my LG16NS40 F/W 1.02 to no avail. I changed the drive to LG16NS60 F/W 1.00 and both ripped fine. If you post what drive you are using one of the more knowledgeable people maybe able let you know if this is possible, they helped me.
I have the LG BP50NB40 (SVC Code: NB50) that I flashed to the BP60NB10 f/w 1.00 when I started building my Plex server on my Synology NAS awhile back. So far I've ripped 141 movies without issue until this latest Cars UHD I just bought this past weekend. I did forget to mention that when I picked up the movie curbside, as soon as the guy handed it to me, I could feel/hear a disc moving around inside. Sure enough, upon opening the package, it was the 4K disc that was loose. I don't see any visible scratches on it and tried cleaning it with the isopropyl alcohol to no avail. I've started a support ticket with Disney, so I'll see how that goes.

I also tried reverting back to an older version of MakeMKV (after reading someone else's success in doing this), but it didn't work for me either, so I'm back to the latest version (1.15.1).
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

hoopin4you wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I have the LG BP50NB40 (SVC Code: NB50) that I flashed to the BP60NB10 f/w 1.00 when I started building my Plex server on my Synology NAS awhile back. So far I've ripped 141 movies without issue until this latest Cars UHD I just bought this past weekend. I did forget to mention that when I picked up the movie curbside, as soon as the guy handed it to me, I could feel/hear a disc moving around inside. Sure enough, upon opening the package, it was the 4K disc that was loose. I don't see any visible scratches on it and tried cleaning it with the isopropyl alcohol to no avail. I've started a support ticket with Disney, so I'll see how that goes.

I also tried reverting back to an older version of MakeMKV (after reading someone else's success in doing this), but it didn't work for me either, so I'm back to the latest version (1.15.1).
Have you tried just doing an exchange with Best Buy? Tell them the disc is defective and won't play on your player even though all other movies do play. They are pretty good about returns. They probably won't take an opened movie for a return, but they most likely will for an exchange.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Oh BTW Cars UHD is one of the movies I was able to successfully rip so it is not a general issue with the movie itself.
hoopin4you

Post by hoopin4you »

Rojma wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Have you tried just doing an exchange with Best Buy? Tell them the disc is defective and won't play on your player even though all other movies do play. They are pretty good about returns. They probably won't take an opened movie for a return, but they most likely will for an exchange.
Haven't tried that yet. I do not have a 4K player, so I can't actually play the disc to see if it will work there. I just rip the 4K movies to my PC and move them to my NAS. I may just have to break down and get a player so I can test/play discs in the future.