American Made 4k audio not supported

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Bluer

American Made 4k audio not supported

Post by Bluer »

Hi,
Used MakeMKV Beta to make 4 rips to hard drive of the above movie but Samsung 4k TV reports that (DTS: 7.1, 5.1, 2ch, and all) audio "not supported". I am new but I suspect the 48000 bitrate is the problem.
Could someone please advise me if this can be resolved and how to do so?
Thanks.
Grauhaar

Re: American Made 4k audio not supported

Post by Grauhaar »

Bluer wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:17 pm
I am new but I suspect the 48000 bitrate is the problem.
48Khz is a absolut normal rate.
I think DTS itself is the problem, because most of the "Smart" TVs do not support DTS. Please check the TV manual what typs of data is supported. A Blu-ray player converts it to PCM if the TV signals it over the HDMI protokoll.
Good Luck :)

Post by Bluer »

Grauhaar wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:32 pm
48Khz is a absolut normal rate.
I think DTS itself is the problem, because most of the "Smart" TVs do not support DTS. Please check the TV manual what typs of data is supported. A Blu-ray player converts it to PCM if the TV signals it over the HDMI protokoll.
You are correct Grauhaar; I checked and ( :idea: ) the QLED does not support DIVX or DTS.
Is there a method, during transfer from disc to HD to render the audio in a different format while still retaining the "4K" video?
Procat

Post by Procat »

There are different audio tracks available, click on the title then the various soundtracks will be shown, pick the one your tv will support. Please consider buying a license if plan on using this software for an extended usage
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

Thank you Procat.
I will definitely be purchasing the program. It is powerful and yet simple to use.

Sadly, this disc contains only DTS audio. There must be someway around this limitation...
American Made DTS.jpg
American Made DTS.jpg (125.85 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

MakeMKV can only convert it to FLAC or AAC-Stereo.Don't know if this helps.

In the worst case you must extract the DTS track with other tools (f.e mkvextract from MKVToolNIX package) and convert it to Dolby Digital with an other tool and merge and remux the created DD track with "MKVToolNIX GUI" into a new MKV file.

Yeah, that's bad. Consider using an external Media Client Player for playing all tracks and formats without conversion (like a Blu-ray player) using HDMI to the TV.
Good Luck :)

Post by Woodstock »

It is possible to use the ffmpeg command line program to convert the audio to a different format that the Samsung supports. They have examples of doing that on their page.

The other "work around" is to use a home theater amplifier that DOES support DTS, and have the TV route the audio to it for decoding. The TV I use (old one) sends some codecs to the amplifier and shuts down its own speakers. I can have it route ALL audio back out the HDMI cable to the amp.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:19 pm
It is possible to use the ffmpeg command line program to convert the audio to a different format that the Samsung supports. They have examples of doing that on their page.

The other "work around" is to use a home theater amplifier that DOES support DTS, and have the TV route the audio to it for decoding. The TV I use (old one) sends some codecs to the amplifier and shuts down its own speakers. I can have it route ALL audio back out the HDMI cable to the amp.
Great ideas Woodstock, which I'd not much considered. Unfortunately I can not replace my amplifier and, while I've played with ffmpeg for many years, my skills at command line work are poor. However, the effort has been fruitful... ↓
Grauhaar wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 pm
MakeMKV can only convert it to FLAC or AAC-Stereo.Don't know if this helps.

In the worst case you must extract the DTS track with other tools (f.e mkvextract from MKVToolNIX package) and convert it to Dolby Digital with an other tool and merge and remux the created DD track with "MKVToolNIX GUI" into a new MKV file.

Yeah, that's bad. Consider using an external Media Client Player for playing all tracks and formats without conversion (like a Blu-ray player) using HDMI to the TV.
I admit to not giving serious thought to the FLAC and AAC options, but, I gave both a try and FLAC failed but, AAC did work! It is not of the quality I'd crave but at this point functionality is the goal.
PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you all and praise MakeMKV. (I will purchase next month)