Multiple drives for success?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DiscHoarder

Multiple drives for success?

Post by DiscHoarder »

So is there a consensus that one should have multiple drives of different brands to improve the success of ripping UHD movies?
niteflyr

Re: Multiple drives for success?

Post by niteflyr »

My LG drive was several years old and I was having problems with some discs. I thought the drive was failing so I bought an ASUS drive. The LG drive was and still is fine. Works great. It was just a few problems discs. Since I added a second different brand drive, I have not had a problem with any disc that neither drive would read.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

Yeah, thinking of grabbing a second one. Have a wh16ns60. Thinking of getting a wh14ns40.
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Interesting. So I guess I should go for an LG, seeing as I just bought an Asus BW-16D1HT.

I'll probably give it a few more months, as I'm finding it slim pickings for the kind of films I would be interested in at 4K. Went on a Blu-ray being frenzy last year with some films being my third time purchase - VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray.

This isn't an inexpensive habit.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

This has always been good advice. I even have a problematic DVD from time to time that my ASUS DVD drive sounds like it's going to launch and explode. Putting it into my Pioneer BD drive and it's fine. So far have not had the issue with BDs or UHDs.
DiscHoarder

Post by DiscHoarder »

Guess I was lucky with the inexpensive slim Blu-ray drive I bought 3 years ago which I used to rip nearly 500 DVDs and Blu-rays with only 2 fails - both looked like really cheap pressings so probably delaminated.

So far I've only had Close Encounters 4K fail on me, but that doesn't appear to be uncommon, the other 3 ripped just fine.

Either way it's good to know that using a second drive can solve any problem rips. Just don't know which I'm going to have to purchase first - another 4K drive or another NAS.