Midway 2019 4K (new BD-J protection?)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
pkgriffith814

Re: Midway 2019 4K (new BD-J protection?)

Post by pkgriffith814 »

giomania wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 pm
I purchased the disc from Best Buy and an cannot even open it, receiving the message: "Failed to open disc".

Edit: Nevermind, I was also receiving the "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting message. I used the instructions in this post to fix my DNS: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17848&start=105#p80230 and am backing up the full disc now. Instead of using Google DNS, I used Cloudfare (1.1.1.1) as the primary DNS and Quad 9 (9.9.9.9) as the backup DNS.

I never really paid attention or noticed that message and have been ripping UHD discs intermittently, but never titles so new. Now that I am "caught up" and ripped a newer title, I looked at the messages to see what may be causing the issue. Thanks to this forum.
I bought it from Bestbuy as well and it wouldn’t load in my drive. Returned it because I’ve had a couple that didn’t work from Bestbuy (never an issue with Amazon). The replacement doesn’t load as either. Just backed up Ford V Ferrari with no issues so I know it’s not the DNS issue. Could it be two bad 4K discs in a row? Anydvd does recognize the disc either.
Bluntman

Midway 2019 4K (new BD-J protection?)

Post by Bluntman »

Well was all excited.

I don’t have amazon prime and as such I only got my midway preorder yesterday.

Yes yes I plan on never pre ordering from amazon without prime again I just never expected that kind of delay.

Anyway I pop it in in my drive and low and behold I didn’t know Canada and the USA discs were different.

It only has DTS HD MA 5.1. Whereas my USA brethren get an Atmos 7.1 track. Wtf the is that. So I guess one of these days I’ll be muxing in the atmos track.

However the Canadian copy works like a charm as far as I can tell. I’m just making my DV mp4 right now. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KENSAI

Post by KENSAI »

nicholfd wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:07 am
I watched 504 next to the physical disc playing on an Xbox One X. It matched, chapter beginning to chapter beginning on each player.
You are a scholar and a gentleman for doing that. I appreciate people so much that take the time to figure things out when I get a disc and don't know what to rip! :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

@mike_admin

MakeMKV is getting this one wrong.

Correct title information:
Title information
Name: Midway (English)
Source file name: 00504.mpls
Duration: 2:18:25
Chapters count: 16
Size: 74.5 GB
Segment count: 1
Segment map: (502,501,503,500,506,507,505)
File name: Midway_t98.mkv

Incorrect title chosen by MakeMKV:
Title information
Name: Midway (English)
Comment: FPL_MainFeature
Source file name: 00762.mpls
Duration: 2:18:25
Chapters count: 16
Size: 74.5 GB
Segment count: 7
Segment map: 506,507,501,500,502,503,505
File name: Midway-FPL_MainFeature_t07.mkv

Anything we can do to help?
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

pkgriffith814 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 am
giomania wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 pm
I purchased the disc from Best Buy and an cannot even open it, receiving the message: "Failed to open disc".

Edit: Nevermind, I was also receiving the "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting message. I used the instructions in this post to fix my DNS: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17848&start=105#p80230 and am backing up the full disc now. Instead of using Google DNS, I used Cloudfare (1.1.1.1) as the primary DNS and Quad 9 (9.9.9.9) as the backup DNS.

I never really paid attention or noticed that message and have been ripping UHD discs intermittently, but never titles so new. Now that I am "caught up" and ripped a newer title, I looked at the messages to see what may be causing the issue. Thanks to this forum.
I bought it from Bestbuy as well and it wouldn’t load in my drive. Returned it because I’ve had a couple that didn’t work from Bestbuy (never an issue with Amazon). The replacement doesn’t load as either. Just backed up Ford V Ferrari with no issues so I know it’s not the DNS issue. Could it be two bad 4K discs in a row? Anydvd does recognize the disc either.
I take it that it can only be a DNS issue if you get the "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" message? I'm just getting a straight "failed to open disc" so I'm guessing it must be a different issue.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

Ripped this disc as a full back up and first title my oppo can't play from network directly. Is there any work around possible to fix this potentially?
Steve Webb

Post by Steve Webb »

nicholfd wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:07 am
Made an un-decrypted disc copy. MakeMKV indicated 762 was the FPL_MainFeature. I ripped 504 & 762 from the encrypted disc copy.

I watched 504 next to the physical disc playing on an Xbox One X. It matched, chapter beginning to chapter beginning on each player.

Watching 762, it's obviously wrong. Segment map comparison is below:

504: 502,501,503,500,506,507,505
762: 506,507,501,500,502,503,505

Just posting this to help confirm 504 appears correct, and hopeful that the MakeMKV folks can improve the main feature detection.

I'll keep the encrypted disc copy for a while if anyone wants more information about it or more testing.
Thanks for this info, much appreciated.
It took me at least 10 attempts, but after cleaning the disc, updating Java and several PC restarts, I finally managed to rip the 4K disk.
I ripped 504 and checked it matched the segment map and all seems good on playback.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Rew452 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:43 pm
Actually I am seeing an issue with this UHD disc backup using Makemkv as well.

I have a modified Oppo UDP-203 which can play all my UHD disc backups from my NAS without any problems until this one.
It won't even play using PowerDVD 19. All of my 90+ backups play just fine except, just no hdr since my pc monitor doesn't support HDR but can still play with out it.
Are you referring to the firmware that allows ISO playback in addition to the thankfully still enabled by default BDMV folder support? Seriously the greatest UHD player ever!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Bluntman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm

However the Canadian copy works like a charm as far as I can tell. I’m just making my DV mp4 right now. We’ll see how it goes.
I' read about a lot of people making mp4 files lately. What is it about that file format? What am I missing out on? That's a .mov file right, mega compression?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

jonghotti wrote:
Bluntman wrote:

I' read about a lot of people making mp4 files lately. What is it about that file format? What am I missing out on? That's a .mov file right, mega compression?
No. Mp4 is a container. Nothing more. You can stick quite a bit into it. Dolby released some tools to help mux Dolby vision into an mp4 container. There's a whole very long thread about it and the amazing subsequent work that's been done. There's no quality lost in the video. Audio however is limited in mp4 containers to lossy. The latest fun we've all been having is using the latest makemkv release to make a Dolby vision mkv. Can't be played anywhere yet, but, we can convert it to a ts container and play it in full quality Dolby vision and Dolby atmos on a few devices. Some day we'll hopefully be able to play the mkv and just rip with makemkv with no further steps. That requires player support for mkv Dolby vision metadata.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

xmenw

Post by xmenw »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:16 am
jonghotti wrote:
Bluntman wrote:

No. Mp4 is a container. Nothing more. You can stick quite a bit into it. Dolby released some tools to help mux Dolby vision into an mp4 container. There's a whole very long thread about it and the amazing subsequent work that's been done. There's no quality lost in the video. Audio however is limited in mp4 containers to lossy. The latest fun we've all been having is using the latest makemkv release to make a Dolby vision mkv. Can't be played anywhere yet, but, we can convert it to a ts container and play it in full quality Dolby vision and Dolby atmos on a few devices. Some day we'll hopefully be able to play the mkv and just rip with makemkv with no further steps. That requires player support for mkv Dolby vision metadata.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Which players are able to play those DV infused MKV files so far?

On the topic, as far we know, this playlist issue can't be fixed for the complete blu ray back up right?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I don't know of any players that can play a DV MKV yet. The format is just now being "standardized".

And no, MakeMKV won't fix full disc backups.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm
I don't know of any players that can play a DV MKV yet. The format is just now being "standardized".

And no, MakeMKV won't fix full disc backups.
I'm not asking MakeMKV to fix this particular issue, only if anyone knows of a work around, any manual step that can be done to edit and fix the playlist.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

xmenw wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 pm
I'm not asking MakeMKV to fix this particular issue, only if anyone knows of a work around, any manual step that can be done to edit and fix the playlist.
No, there isn't a publicly known method for doing so afaik. It requires patching the jar files so they pass the protection checks and return the correct playlist. The protection works by running checks against the disc, one of which is "is there AACS protection?". The moment you remove the AACS protection, you change the answer to that question and change the outcome. Think of this protection like a choose your own adventure where if you pick the wrong path it leads you to the wrong answer. I'm VASTLY oversimplifying this whole thing so don't take this as a technical analysis of the protection. I just wanted to demonstrate what the protection is doing to identify the correct playlist on an untouched disc vs why it fails on a backup. To patch the jars there's a whole unknown process some companies use which, again, is not public knowledge. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I choose to own more than one backup product. I don't find that one size fits all.
skyzyx

Post by skyzyx »

Has anyone gone looking for the Redbox UHD disc playlist yet? I see messages about Best Buy.