Zootopia UHD - audio discountinity/glitch

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
h2owater

Zootopia UHD - audio discountinity/glitch

Post by h2owater »

Zootopia UHD has several playlist … those are localized versions of movie (ie signs/writing through out movie change based on selected language)

I rip English version. Titles like this will always report AV sync issues as there are multiple m2ts to piece together into single rip. However, this is the first time I noticed an audio glitch at around 1:34:44 - at graduation ceremony when graduates throw their caps up and scene transition to police briefing. The sound skips. It sounds like something was cut out - the sound is discontinuous.

I made a folder backup to remove protection, then rip that with MKVToolnix. MKVToolnix rip does not have sound glitch and plays smooth and continuous.

How exactly MakeMKV handles AV sync issues … and what could possibly cause this sound discontinuity.

I am a bit worried as I have many titles with same mpls structure (made of multiple m2ts … e.g. localization, multiple version of movie on same disc) that have been ripped with MakeMKV. Going through each of them to detect audio glitches is unrealistic.

So basic question here is - does MakeMKV modifies audio tracks to fix sync issues? If not, then technically how this audio glitch can happen (does MakeMKV puts some flags inside mkv container to skip some audio for sync problems)?
jayper

Re: Zootopia UHD - audio discountinity/glitch

Post by jayper »

You should read this thread, there's lots of information on the issue you're having: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=17597

To make a very long story short (and probably miss a key detail or two). It is an issue with the way MakeMKV is packing the atmos track into the MKV container. About four months ago, I made the same discovery you did and have gone back and re-ripped nearly all of my UHDs that contain Atmos tracks.

I have been using MakeMKV to make folder back-ups, and then producing an MKV file with CloneBD.
h2owater

Post by h2owater »

Thanks for reply

So the issue is only limited to Atmos … that's a good news (not much re-ripping to do then) … though audio drop out I had was playing core TrueHD of Atmos track (in Jriver and MPC-HC and VLC) … and it was always at the same spot
variant

Post by variant »

This seems like a pretty big issue. I’m surprised Mike hasn’t commented on this at all. For now full folder backups then CloneBD to MKV. Makemkv has a much better interface, so I hope this is addressed soon.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If there are no hardware errors, then please send me a testdump (maade with the latest version if MakeMKV) from the title that has the issue - http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/testdump.html