Star Wars Alien Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BobbyD1891

Star Wars Alien Subtitles

Post by BobbyD1891 »

Can't seem to find the track for the Alien subtitles. Makemkv says the forced English track is empty and the regular track has full subtitles that just say (speaking in hut). I've been going off RotJ at the 30:40 mark. When i play the disc subtitles show up like they should. Are they under one of the other titles or just mislabeled as Japanese or something
RotJ.png
RotJ.png (173.45 KiB) Viewed 17689 times
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars Alien Subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

The "foreign audio only" subtitle track on Star Wars disks varies between tracks 4 and 7. I used to have a list, but I gave it to someone else after I ripped and compressed my set.

And Disney does not use the "forced" flag on subtitles, so that's why the "forced only" tracks were empty and deleted.

The way I found them was to rip EVERYTHING, then sort it out with VLC afterward. Once you know which tracks you want to keep, you can remove the others with mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
billiam86

Post by billiam86 »

From what I'm seeing, on the UHD's they actually have the alien subs hardcoded this time around if you choose the right title (for english its typical Disney always 800)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That does make sense, given that I've seen messages about subtitles causing problems with HDR and DV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BobbyD1891

Post by BobbyD1891 »

billiam86 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:29 pm
From what I'm seeing, on the UHD's they actually have the alien subs hardcoded this time around if you choose the right title (for english its typical Disney always 800)
This did it. The scrolling into was in english so thought I had already picked the right one. Thanks!
variant

Post by variant »

All the UHDs in the Bestbuy Saga set appear to be burned in except Rise of Skywalker, that one was not (subs at 1:37:22).
Last edited by variant on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

All UHD's, period, have hardcoded Forced subtitles. At least all of the 170+ I own do. :wink:

edit: Ok, so all of the English/US title tracks (like playlist 800 on Disney Movies) have burned in forced subtitles. Still, I always have MakeMKV select all English forced tracks and it always reports back those tracks are empty during the rip. So, take it for what it's worth. :D
aibeira

Post by aibeira »

I checked, and it appears that among other possible changes to the blu-rays in the Best Buy "Skywalker Saga" set, the blu-rays of the movies all seem to have the alien language subtitles burned in, unlike previous blu-ray versions where the alien language subtitles were a separate track.
realbennrboyle

Post by realbennrboyle »

variant wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:40 pm
All the UHDs in the Bestbuy Saga set appear to be burned in except Rise of Skywalker, that one was not (subs at 1:37:22).
So on the UHD version when played in a UHD Blu Ray player, is the one alien sub in TROS in the correct Franklin Gothic font like this: https://starwarsscreencaps.com/4k-star- ... ?strip=all or is just in a non-stylized "whatever-the-system-chooses" font?
schorman

Post by schorman »

The UHD subtitles use "Arial". The correct theatrical font for all of the Disney era films is not Franklin Gothic, but "Trade Gothic LT Bold".