Rise of Skywalker (blind) Stereo Audio Issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SomeGuy

Rise of Skywalker (blind) Stereo Audio Issues

Post by SomeGuy »

I ripped my 4K Rise of Skywalker and everything seemed fine except if I listen to the Stereo track there's a narrator describing what is going on in addition to the normal sound track. It's a track for the blind, I assume. The 5.1 and 7.1 audio tracks are fine. The narrator reads the entire open crawl. Around 2:40 the narrator says: "A red dot moves along the sides of the object as the view gives way to Kylo Ren's Tie Fighter shooting into a firey red nebula." He talks through the entire movie.

I actually ripped all (4, I think) movies on the disk and it's on all of them in the Stereo track. I didn't see any additional stereo English tracks to select in MakeMKV.

Any ideas on getting the non-narrated stereo track? Is this some kind of mistake they made omitting it or is MakeMKV not showing me all audio tracks?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Rise of Skywalker (blind) Stereo Audio Issues

Post by Woodstock »

You have discovered the "Descriptive Audio" track.

Allegedly, the higher-spec audio tracks should be compatible with stereo, but that depends on your playback environment.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
trumpet205

Re: Rise of Skywalker (blind) Stereo Audio Issues

Post by trumpet205 »

Correct, Descriptive Audios or Audio Descriptions are audio tracks meant for blind people.

MakeMKV shows all available audio tracks, including those that are hidden from the menu. So if you aren't seeing it from MakeMKV it isn't there to begin with.

You don't need a dedicated stereo audio track since any competent video player can downmix just fine from surround audio track. It is actually uncommon to see both surround and stereo tracks, excluding commentaries and descriptive audio, on western release Blu-ray (different story for Japanese release).