Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
cipher

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by cipher »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:36 am
Goddamn this is AWESOME! Made an unprotected ISO of Joker (you'll see why in a sec). Created the MKV with MakeMKV. Opened TSMuxer and dropped the MKV onto it. Opened the mounted ISO's 800.mpls and added the audio track. Spit out a TS file, dropped it on my NAS. Plex picked it up and is now playing in Dolby Vision with ATMOS. Super brilliant and thanks to all who have been fighting this good fight!!
SamuriHL, I've never used tsMuxer before today, but can't you select that 800.mpls file from the backup folder instead of the mounted ISO? Doing so would save an extra step.

Also, is this step necessary because tsMuxer can't read an Atmos track from an MKV, but it can read it once you've added an MPLS playlist?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 am
Mike, we need 1.15.2 please. :D Couldn't MakeMKV create the proper track when doing the MKV for ATMOS? Then it could just be added to TSMuxer and remuxed as is to a TS file. Right?
It does! It is a tsmuxer limitation :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Goddamn this is AWESOME! Made an unprotected ISO of Joker (you'll see why in a sec). Created the MKV with MakeMKV. Opened TSMuxer and dropped the MKV onto it. Opened the mounted ISO's 800.mpls and added the audio track. Spit out a TS file, dropped it on my NAS. Plex picked it up and is now playing in Dolby Vision with ATMOS. Super brilliant and thanks to all who have been fighting this good fight!!
There's no direct way to go from original disk to unprotected iso, right? You'd have to make the decrypted full folder backup with makemkv and then iso it with imgburn? But have a fun remuxing your whole collection! it's all I've been doing the last month since the original method was settled upon Image. I'm just glad I kept all the decrypted folder backups of DV films from the very beginning.
Well...I can because I own more than one ripping tool. Lol otherwise you could probably just make the folder rip and drag the mpls from the folder into tsmuxer. That's probably what you're doing i imagine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

cipher wrote:
olevelo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 am
Guess I'm still stuck choosing between DV or Lossless.
Or picking up a 2019 Shield and getting both! :D
As brain would say from pinky and the brain....yesssssssss! Lol

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

cipher wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
SamuriHL, I've never used tsMuxer before today, but can't you select that 800.mpls file from the backup folder instead of the mounted ISO? Doing so would save an extra step.

Also, is this step necessary because tsMuxer can't read an Atmos track from an MKV, but it can read it once you've added an MPLS playlist?
Correct on both counts.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 am
Mike, we need 1.15.2 please. :D Couldn't MakeMKV create the proper track when doing the MKV for ATMOS? Then it could just be added to TSMuxer and remuxed as is to a TS file. Right?
It does! It is a tsmuxer limitation :)
Oh goddammit. LOL! But that means tsmuxer could be fixed to be able to do so... right? So there's hope! Image

Grencola

Post by Grencola »

cipher wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 am
you make it sound so easy :lol: I've been waiting 6+ weeks and there are still none available, in Canada at least, unless you want to spend 400+ on eBay..
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Oh goddammit. LOL! But that means tsmuxer could be fixed to be able to do so... right? So there's hope! Image
Correct. If anyone knows the good and reliable way to contact tsmuxer developer, please let me know - I'll gladly provide all the help I can.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

cipher wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 am
olevelo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 am
Guess I'm still stuck choosing between DV or Lossless.
That would require them being in stock somewhere...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:39 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Correct. If anyone knows the good and reliable way to contact tsmuxer developer, please let me know - I'll gladly provide all the help I can.
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer

That's his git repo but I don't know if that helps at all.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

mike admin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
@jcdr428 was pretty active in the old thread. hopefully he’s still around and checking this thread now. Otherwise the thread over at doom9 can also be a good place for suggestions:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668&page=37
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mike admin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
They are already working on it:

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=664
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but, that's not the same thing. MakeMKV already puts the THD/ac3 interleaved audio track in the MKV, tsmuxer just doesn't recognize it in the MKV container. So ideally, they'd fix the ability for tsmuxer to use the track already within the MKV container and we'd be good to go.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Just gave ffmpeg a try to do a straight mkv -> ts container conversion (ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -c copy movie.ts) and the atmos audio track was preserved just fine without the ac3 core:

Code: Select all

Audio
ID                                       : 257 (0x101)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID                                 : 131
Duration                                 : 2 h 1 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 158 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Language                                 : English
Number of dynamic objects                : 15
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE
Play testing on the Shield also triggered atmos just fine. As previous testing from the other thread has shown, though, the video track is still just in HDR10. I'm guessing ffmpeg does not copy over the dolby vision descriptors properly (or at all) when doing the conversion.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Wait that's a good idea though. What about the following workflow:

1) Create MKV from disc with MakeMKV
2) Extract the ATMOS track from resulting MKV with ffmpeg
3) Add MKV to TSMuxer
4) Add extracted ATMOS track from ffmpeg
5) Mux
6) Profit?!