Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Post Reply
shawnc22
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Have you had a chance to remux any disks with HDR10+ yet? Just ran into an odd issue with the Shining. Went straight from the mkv (DTS only) to TS and everything looked good in mediainfo, but both my LG TV and Plex failed to pick up the video track and played only the audio. Redid the process with the old method and yusecope's tool, and everything looks good now. Not sure if it's the HDR10+ that's the issue, but it's only difference I can think of at the moment.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:43 am

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am

Have you had a chance to remux any disks with HDR10+ yet? Just ran into an odd issue with the Shining. Went straight from the mkv (DTS only) to TS and everything looked good in mediainfo, but both my LG TV and Plex failed to pick up the video track and played only the audio. Redid the process with the old method and yusecope's tool, and everything looks good now. Not sure if it's the HDR10+ that's the issue, but it's only difference I can think of at the moment.
I don't think so yet. If I remember right Alien has HDR10+ and Dolby Vision so it's on my list to do probably tomorrow. I'll let you know when I hit one as I know at least a couple have both.

EDIT: No, not Alien. I remember WISHING it had. I meant Alita Battle Angel. I'll throw that in the queue next but I probably won't be up long enough to finish it tonight.

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by nathanddrews » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:24 am

Well done, Mike! Great progress.

Before I go through and re-rip my UHD library, I might wait for something a little more idiot-proof though.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:53 am

The thing is, the MKV's that MakeMKV are creating are "idiot proof" in the sense that they contain everything that's needed for Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS playback. The problem, at the moment, is no player for them. If by some miracle we can convince someone like Plex to support Dolby Vision in an MKV container then we are absolutely golden. Until then, we have to container shift which isn't as straight forward as we'd like. But it's improving almost daily so keep the faith. The strides made in the last couple months has been enormous!

SamuriHL
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 am

Just did Alita Battle Angel which is HDR10+. Working perfectly for me. EAC3TO did give me some weird errors on the audio track when I was making the thd+ac3 track but I muxed it in and it seems to be working fine.

shawnc22
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 am
Just did Alita Battle Angel which is HDR10+. Working perfectly for me. EAC3TO did give me some weird errors on the audio track when I was making the thd+ac3 track but I muxed it in and it seems to be working fine.
It plays fine too right? My mediainfo looked good also but plex just didn't find a video track. Maybe I'll give it another try tomorrow with the mkv method just to see if it can be replicated.

cipher
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by cipher » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:17 am

Grencola wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 pm
cipher wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 pm
I see it on the Canadian Best Buy site, the Web code is 14276266 (I'd add the link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here).
that's the wrong one. 14276267 is the one to get.
Why is that the wrong one, they both offer Dolby Vision support. If you are looking to use it to run a Plex server or need the extra memory then I agree the pro version is the one to get. For myself, I already run my Plex server on dedicated hardware so I just need the DV support in the cheaper "TV" version of the 2019 Shield.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:31 am

shawnc22 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 am
Just did Alita Battle Angel which is HDR10+. Working perfectly for me. EAC3TO did give me some weird errors on the audio track when I was making the thd+ac3 track but I muxed it in and it seems to be working fine.
It plays fine too right? My mediainfo looked good also but plex just didn't find a video track. Maybe I'll give it another try tomorrow with the mkv method just to see if it can be replicated.
Yup played for a few minutes to make sure. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


jayper
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by jayper » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:38 am

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Have you had a chance to remux any disks with HDR10+ yet? Just ran into an odd issue with the Shining. Went straight from the mkv (DTS only) to TS and everything looked good in mediainfo, but both my LG TV and Plex failed to pick up the video track and played only the audio. Redid the process with the old method and yusecope's tool, and everything looks good now. Not sure if it's the HDR10+ that's the issue, but it's only difference I can think of at the moment.
This sounds like you might be using the wrong version of tsmuxer. I hit the same issue earlier this afternoon. I dug through the long DV / MP4 thread to find a working version.

TickTock
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by TickTock » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 am

As a test I created a remux of Ip Man 4: The Finale using MakeMKV and then I added the thd+ac3 track using tsMuxeR.
The ts file mediainfo is:
HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
The file plays as HDR10 using the GZ950B inbuilt player.

In the main Dolby Vision thread these two files:
Joker_dvhe.05.06_BL_RPU_Single_Track_Single_Layer.mp4
Joker_dvhe.04.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.mp4
Both play as Dolby Vision. I used tsMuxeR to create ts files of each and
Joker_dvhe.05.06_BL_RPU_Single_Track_Single_Layer.ts
Plays as Dolby Vision where as:
Joker_dvhe.04.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.ts
Plays as HDR10.

shawnc22
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 am

jayper wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:38 am
This sounds like you might be using the wrong version of tsmuxer. I hit the same issue earlier this afternoon. I dug through the long DV / MP4 thread to find a working version.
Hm, I didn't think that'd be the issue since the same tsmuxer version worked with the original method and a few others with the mkv method. I've been using the latest commit from the master branch, compiled from source. I went back to an earlier build from a couple weeks back just to make sure it's not tsmuxer, and what do you know, it's working now going directly from mkv. Not really sure what changed, but I'll take a closer look at the ts files tomorrow

SamuriHL
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am

Oh yeah I didn't even think of that. Right I grabbed a version a few weeks ago out of the other thread and that's what I've been using. No issues so far. I'm about half way through my Dolby vision discs. I'll finish them up today. I've got the Craig bond collection and jurassic park collections to do. I seem to recall jurassic park was dts which will make that easier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk



omk1980
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:16 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by omk1980 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:58 pm

jayper wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:38 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Have you had a chance to remux any disks with HDR10+ yet? Just ran into an odd issue with the Shining. Went straight from the mkv (DTS only) to TS and everything looked good in mediainfo, but both my LG TV and Plex failed to pick up the video track and played only the audio. Redid the process with the old method and yusecope's tool, and everything looks good now. Not sure if it's the HDR10+ that's the issue, but it's only difference I can think of at the moment.
This sounds like you might be using the wrong version of tsmuxer. I hit the same issue earlier this afternoon. I dug through the long DV / MP4 thread to find a working version.
Which version are you using? Do you have a link?

omk1980
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:16 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by omk1980 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:05 pm

I just saw that yesterday. Very exciting. I've been doing full backups per your recommendations and eager to get to the dv files. Is there any degradation in quality or would this be identical to putting the disc in the player?

siriusbox
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by siriusbox » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow! nice progress!

So, I wonder if once we have a MKV with DV in the video layer, what would we need in order to play directly from the MKV? MKV support in the file type itself or just player support? both? I guess that shouldn't any kind of limitation on those hardware which license Dolby Vision, so, for instance, Plex on Shield TV 2019 could support DV playing if MKV also support it, isn't it? That would be the perfect scenario, remuxing to .ts is a good alternative but obiously not the perfect one.

Post Reply