Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MartyMcNuts

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:21 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:32 pm
We have no way of "making" an Atmos E-AC3 file.
Huh?
Extract Atmos metadata from TrueHD frame, decode TrueHD frame to LPCM, encode LPCM to eac3, add Atmos metadata to eac3 frame.
This can even be done on the fly...
Mike,

If you can fill us all in on how to extract the ATMOS metadata and add it back in, that would be much appreciated!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:25 pm
Genuinely don't know. My summary was outlining the work others have done to make this process drop dead simple. I wouldn't have a clue what tool could be used to replace what eac3to is doing or even if there is an alternative. On Linux I'd recommend trying wine and seeing if eac3to would run under that (be willing to bet it does). OSX is not my cup of tea unfortunately.
Understood. Thanks for the prompt reply.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

mike admin wrote:
Angryunibrow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:32 pm
We have no way of "making" an Atmos E-AC3 file.
Huh?
Extract Atmos metadata from TrueHD frame, decode TrueHD frame to LPCM, encode LPCM to eac3, add Atmos metadata to eac3 frame.
Mike,

Thanks for jumping in and course correcting the group knowledge here. I have no idea how to achieve what you wrote, but hopeful that it is possible. Marty, has already asked so I'll just +1 his question.

Again, thanks for the knowledge share.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 pm
cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 pm
When creating MKV do we need to choose both THD and core AC3 track in MakeMKV or just the THD track? Also what version of tsmuxer should we be using? Thanks.
if you're using the eac3to command I put in the steps then no, you can rip just the TrueHD 7.1 track. EAC3TO will re-encode an AC3 track from that and interleave it so TSMuxer can pick it up.

As for TSMuxer, I don't have the link to it but the file I'm using is:

tsMuxer (04.06 fix)).rar

I grabbed that from a link in the other thread at some point near the end of March.
So I put the Joker mkv into TSMuxer but when I play the TS file there is no video even when I try playing on my PC. What exactly did I do wrong?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mike admin wrote:
for realz? afaik only this: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professiona ... suite.html
can remux thd atmos into dd+ atmos. do you mean you can hex edit your thd file at the NAL level and hot swap bits to circumvent the need for crazy expensive licensed software?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ATD555 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 pm
When creating MKV do we need to choose both THD and core AC3 track in MakeMKV or just the THD track? Also what version of tsmuxer should we be using? Thanks.
if you're using the eac3to command I put in the steps then no, you can rip just the TrueHD 7.1 track. EAC3TO will re-encode an AC3 track from that and interleave it so TSMuxer can pick it up.

tsMuxer (04.06 fix)).rar

I grabbed that from a link in the other thread at some point near the end of March.
So I put the Joker mkv into TSMuxer but when I play the TS file there is no video even when I try playing on my PC. What exactly did I do wrong?
That's not nearly enough info to help you. What version of tsmuxer did you use? What are you trying to play it back on? I'm sure you know this but Dolby vision doesn't work on a pc. What does media info show for the mkv and ts files?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TufInside

Post by TufInside »

So I'm trying this with Midway (2019)

Using MakeMKV v1.15.1 it recognizes the DoVi data:
"Codec: MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL)"

I create the .mkv file and drop that into TSMuxer. I've tried both the latest version (ac9b47c) and the one someone linked here titled "tsMuxer (04.06 fix)" which is version (11f852a).

ac9b47c:
The .ts file created using this version has this output in the MediaInfo report (HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible), but the Plex app on the Shield 2019 doesn't recognize any video stream and just plays a black screen.

11f852a:
Using this "fixed" version MediaInfo reports (HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible), Plex app on the Shield 2019 plays HDR10 just fine, but no DoVi to be found.

What setup are you guys using to mux and playback the file?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Was able to do some more tests today and it definitely seems like the latest build of tsmuxer has a problem with the DV video track that makemkv makes for hdr10+ films (also tried doctor sleep in addition to the shining). Everything looks fine in mediainfo after muxing, but no video track is detected once loaded into plex. I've tried going straight from the mkv, extracting the video track from the mkv with eac3to, and also creating a video only TS. Going back to an earlier build of tsmuxer or using the merged hevc track from yusecope's tool like the original method works just fine. Non-HDR10+ films seem to also work fine with the new mkv method in the latest build. I might try to backtrack a few pull requests tomorrow to see what exactly might've broken it.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:07 am
ATD555 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:

tsMuxer (04.06 fix)).rar

That's not nearly enough info to help you. What version of tsmuxer did you use? What are you trying to play it back on? I'm sure you know this but Dolby vision doesn't work on a pc. What does media info show for the mkv and ts files?

Sorry, I used TSMuxer linked above and tried playing the video both on my TV and PC. It should display video on either one (on PC not trying for Dolby Vision just an image in general) but it is just black. Audio only
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
So just followed the instructions. Had a little bit of an issue with eac3to (run a cmd prompt from the eac3to directory w/mkv in the same folder to get it to work). But was able to make a ts file of 1917. i used a folder backup file I had made before 1.15.1.

I was able to open the file on my 2019 shield and it worked.... For a moment. I had dv and atmos and it was playing fine for about 90 secs and then locks up at the same spot. Restarting didn't help. I restarted my Nas as well.

One thing I noted was that the ts file was 3-4 GB smaller than the mkv file I used.

Has anyone watched a ts file to completion to make sure there isn't any issues?

Any suggestions? Should I retry?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

omk1980 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:12 am
SamuriHL wrote:

4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
So just followed the instructions. Had a little bit of an issue with eac3to (run a cmd prompt from the eac3to directory w/mkv in the same folder to get it to work). But was able to make a ts file of 1917. i used a folder backup file I had made before 1.15.1.

I was able to open the file on my 2019 shield and it worked.... For a moment. I had dv and atmos and it was playing fine for about 90 secs and then locks up at the same spot. Restarting didn't help. I restarted my Nas as well.

One thing I noted was that the ts file was 3-4 GB smaller than the mkv file I used.

turn off pgs subs. it's a known issue with ts files. use external srt if you need subs with ts files.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:25 am
omk1980 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:

4) Remux to TS

turn off pgs subs. it's a known issue with ts files. use external srt if you need subs with ts files.
Is that an option in tsmuxer or do I unclick subtitles in makemkv?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

omk1980 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:59 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:25 am
omk1980 wrote:

Is that an option in tsmuxer or do I unclick subtitles in makemkv?
no, just turn off subtitles in plex
AlvaroB

Post by AlvaroB »

I will still wait for real MKV support. In most of the movies I end up having 3 or more subtitles of different type (Forced and Complete subtitles in my language and english subtitles). But the good thing is that I can safely backup DV titles without worrying about losing that metadata.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ATD555 wrote: Sorry, I used TSMuxer linked above and tried playing the video both on my TV and PC. It should display video on either one (on PC not trying for Dolby Vision just an image in general) but it is just black. Audio only
If you can export and post the media info for the ts we can try and figure out what's going on. Every single one that I made with this process has worked perfectly. Not sure what's happening here but the media info will help figure it out.