Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
PanaGz

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by PanaGz »

Guys what's the difference in terms of quality between dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU and dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU? I can play both of them on my gz1500 internal player
Last edited by PanaGz on Thu May 07, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

siriusbox wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:47 am
The progress made to finally get DV on MKV is awesome but it won't do any good if you can't trust the color reproduction in the only device where you will be able to see for the moment, which is the Shield TV Pro 2019

Plex on LG Smart TV

Plex on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

The differences are subtle but are there, the girl has blushed cheeks indeed but on Smart TV is smoother and it blends better to the rest of the skin tones. On Shield the redish tones looks more saturated and isolated for the rest of the skin tones. Looks like a color compression problem.

Where could the problem be? I don't know where to put the issues, I can't be sure 100% of the rest of DV content (from Netflix or Disney+) is also affected so it doesn't look like a problem on the NVidia part.

Regards.
Can someone without an LG OLED try this test file on their Shield and see if you're getting the same color issues as described in the screenshots above? If your TV supports it, try to also play the file off your TV's internal player and see if there are any discernible differences.

https://mega.nz/file/YSxhkSLK#fkfy54tYV ... xIOBZLyGR4
Cruzader1986

Post by Cruzader1986 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 am
siriusbox wrote:
The progress made to finally get DV on MKV is awesome but it won't do any good if you can't trust the color reproduction in the only device where you will be able to see for the moment, which is the Shield TV Pro 2019

Plex on LG Smart TV

The differences are subtle but are there, the girl has blushed cheeks indeed but on Smart TV is smoother and it blends better to the rest of the skin tones. On Shield the redish tones looks more saturated and isolated for the rest of the skin tones. Looks like a color compression problem.

Where could the problem be? I don't know where to put the issues, I can't be sure 100% of the rest of DV content (from Netflix or Disney+) is also affected so it doesn't look like a problem on the NVidia part.

Regards.
Can someone without an LG OLED try this test file on their Shield and see if you're getting the same color issues as described in the screenshots above? If your TV supports it, try to also play the file off your TV's internal player and see if there are any discernible differences.

I don't have a shield but on my non-OLED TV it looks like the one on the first picture
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 am
siriusbox wrote:

Plex on LG Smart TV

Regards.

Playing back through the internal player of my Panasonic TX55GZ950B, there's less red on her face than both images.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

If one open a Dolby Vision mkv created with 1.51.1 with 1.15.1, there's no indication that the video is dolby vision, it just shows

Codec: MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1

while somewhat cosmetic, it probably should show the dolby vision?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

thetoad wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:22 pm
If one open a Dolby Vision mkv created with 1.51.1 with 1.15.1, there's no indication that the video is dolby vision, it just shows

There's no support yet in any playback software or mediainfo to detect the dolby vision descriptors that are now in the 1.15.1 mkvs. That's why people have been converting them to TS/M2TS for proper playback.
djj82

Post by djj82 »

djj82 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:01 pm
Anyone tried the TSmuxer procedure with IT on 4K UHD? MakeMKV is able to make the .mkv file. And I can make the trd/ac3 audio file using eac3to. But when I try to load the MKV into tsmuxer nothing happens, no tracks are listed, its as if it does not like the MKV file. I even went and recreated the MKV a 2nd time using my disc, same problem. Tried TSMuxer 04.06 (fix) as well as the 04-30 nightly, and no go on either one. Something specific about this movie?
I'm also having the same issue with Aquaman. So thats 2 DV movies that TSMuxer doesn't seem to like the .mkv files that makemkv spits out. MKVs play normally (non dolbyvision), when trying to load into tsmuxer simply nothing happens (no track list at all, etc). Tried reripping both multiples times, and still no go. Possible bug with 1.15.1?
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 pm
thetoad wrote:

There's no support yet in any playback software or mediainfo to detect the dolby vision descriptors that are now in the 1.15.1 mkvs. That's why people have been converting them to TS/M2TS for proper playback.
Right, the point I was making if even MakeMKV doesn't enumerate the files it creates correctly, why would one expect anyone else to?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

thetoad wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:46 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 pm
thetoad wrote:

Right, the point I was making if even MakeMKV doesn't enumerate the files it creates correctly, why would one expect anyone else to?
Ah I see what you're saying, makemkv itself is not reading the DV descriptors when you open an mkv. It was probably just an oversight as somebody opening an mkv they just created back in makemkv is not the most common use case (I didn't even know that was possible tbh). The more important thing is to get the mkv standards committee to accept what makemkv is now doing, which is in progress now over at github.
Jman5150

Post by Jman5150 »

New here.

first i had no idea dolby vision wasn't supported bUt glad its a possibility now. Was almost a deal breaker for me.

Question.
Are the current makemkv files made from dv disks automatically have dv in them even if you dont see it?

After reading much of this thread it sounds not really reliable. Am i mistaken? I am currently using lg oled tv, apple tv, oppo 203 player if it means anything.

I saw some post deconstructing how it works...however it confused me..are these extra steps needed to transfer it in the mkv file or to play it or just people deconstructing how it works? .

As a newbie just getting his backuo/plex world going doi need any extra steps to make sure my backups have the info? Extra steps or new equipment to play and see dv?

Forgive me if I sound dumb the thread confused me just looking for any clarification anyone wants to offer.
ragico

Post by ragico »

yusesope wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:17 pm
ragico wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:32 pm
@yusesope
How can a file created by your tool be demuxed to the original two hevc files?
I have this necessity but can't find the correct tool...
You can't find it because it doesn't exist :D
If you need it I will write a few lines of code (next weekend)
Hope you find the time for this. Thanks again, Master
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ragico wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm
Hope you find the time for this. Thanks again, Master
Pressuring people is never helpful. I know I sure hate it when I barely have time for myself let alone code for others :lol:
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Weird question. read this as future looking, if not possible today, the question is what's reasonable to expect in future (i.e. is it just a software engineering problem to be solved as people know how to do it, just it hasn't been done yet)

is it possible to convert easily (losslessly?) between different profiles of Dolby Vision.

as an example, should one expect that it be possible in the future to play a dolby vision mkv created from a bluray on a Sony Android TV that only has a dvhe.stn (I think this means profile 5), decoder?

Would it be different if the BR had just a MEL vs FEL? would it perhaps be just lower quality (i.e. not doing the 12it reconstruction of the FEL?)
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

Great news. I just started ripping UHDs yesterday starting with Godzilla KOTM.

I am wondering how much of a difference would some of these Warner super thin MEL DV layer would make. I remember seeing 64 Kbps. Please clarify

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

thetoad wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:44 am
Weird question. read this as future looking, if not possible today, the question is what's reasonable to expect in future (i.e. is it just a software engineering problem to be solved as people know how to do it, just it hasn't been done yet)

is it possible to convert easily (losslessly?) between different profiles of Dolby Vision.

as an example, should one expect that it be possible in the future to play a dolby vision mkv created from a bluray on a Sony Android TV that only has a dvhe.stn (I think this means profile 5), decoder?

Would it be different if the BR had just a MEL vs FEL? would it perhaps be just lower quality (i.e. not doing the 12it reconstruction of the FEL?)
I've thought about this a little bit as well. If we're talking strictly mkvs here, files created with the current version of makemkv is listed as profile 7 in its dolby vision descriptors. If and when softwares begin to recognize and process this information in mkvs, there might be an issue with hardware support for profile 7 as streaming devices are mostly supporting only profiles 4 and 5. It's likely, though, that the Shield will still be able to play these files just fine, because it seems to fallback to a default decoder when it encounters a dolby vision stream in an unsupported profile (e.g. profile 6). Going from 7 to another double layer profile (4 or 6) should be just an easy hex edit change in the dolby vision descriptors.

Going from the profile 7 mkv to a single layer profile ( 5 or 8 ) mkv will be a different story, though. Unless Mike builds in a feature similar to mode 2 of yusecope's tool or whatever DVDFab is doing to make its DV mp4s, there will have to be additional steps. If you just have the mkv with the BL+EL+RPU video track and no way of accessing the original decrypted folder backup, then you'd need something like this new tool yusecope is working on to demux the video track into separate BL and EL+RPU tracks, remerge the tracks again with yusecope's original tool in mode 2 to get a BL+RPU track, and then mux it back into a playback container. Whether there is quality loss in this conversion, I really don't know. For MEL titles, there shouldn't be as the EL seems to be just a stream of repeating single frame and many have said that it can be safely discarded without much consequence. For FEL, though, I never really looked too much into what yusecope's tool is exactly doing in mode 2 since I haven't been making profile 5 files. Maybe yusecope or someone with more knowledge can answer this, but is the EL data in FEL titles somehow getting merged into the BL when using mode2 (is there also a color space conversion being done here?) or is it simply being discarded?