Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
LGans316

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by LGans316 »

cardsdoc wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:53 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 pm
They agreed on a solution on how to add dv (and other) data to the mkv standard! Mike confirmed he would follow those :D

Now we just need to get exoplayer to implement it as mentioned in the mkv standard! One step closer to dv in mkv!
Excellent news. Too bad I re-ripped all my DV titles to MKV with the current version with the hopes of Plex getting MKV DV capability in near future. Oh well. It's only about 30 discs and I have them ripped in full folder format so not terrible to do again.
Yeah. Its annoying. For me, I was very lucky as I just started ripping yesterday with the latest version and was pleasantly surprised once I bumped into this thread. :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I always assumed the MKV might change given that there is currently no player support, so, for me I used the MKV rip as an intermediary to the TS files. I'm prepared to rerip again.
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

Well crap, I just started last Friday when I discovered this was even a possibility. Got through about 50 titles. Slamming on the brakes for now...
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Unless the video track is constructed differently when the headers change, you can probably just load the 1.15.1 mkv and have makemkv save it again under the new version.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

LGans316 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:12 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Android- ... 0865MZ5MM/

Anyone has this media box? Does this really support DV as it claims?

Planning to give it a go as looking for a box that play my 4K / 3D rips effortlessly

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
It does say official Dolby Vision support, but does that mean from media or streaming? Given that it has full play store support I would bet for streaming...
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am
LGans316 wrote:

Planning to give it a go as looking for a box that play my 4K / 3D rips effortlessly

It does say official Dolby Vision support, but does that mean from media or streaming? Given that it has full play store support I would bet for streaming...
No dolby vision support at all, from what I can surmise:
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... sion.2603/
and having Playstore support means nothing, it needs to be google certified which it is not. so it will not stream anything in 4k, and definitely not dv.
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

Grencola wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:01 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
LGans316 wrote:

and having Playstore support means nothing, it needs to be google certified which it is not. so it will not stream anything in 4k, and definitely not dv.
If you get into the MINIX forum they claim they paid license fee to support DV but there is no solid evidence that it works.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Grencola wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
LGans316 wrote:

Yes you are right I was reading play store support as Google certified, looks like another flaky android box to add to the thousands.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

LGans316 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:23 pm
Grencola wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:

If you get into the MINIX forum they claim they paid license fee to support DV but there is no solid evidence that it works.
uhm yes I know, hence the link I provided to the thread I started on the minix forum :P :lol:
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

Hi - this is a great development.

I tried with birds of prey. I used the single (BL + EL + RPU) video track created by MakeMKV to make a .ts with tsMuxeR (git-e347781)

The resulting .ts shows as Dolby Vision with BL + EL + RPU in mediainfo but will not play at all on my x700 (let alone in DV). I tried recreating the file a few times.

Wonder if anyone might know what’s up? Perhaps I need to re-tip with an older version of MakeMKV.

Thanks.
GipsyDanger

Post by GipsyDanger »

Hi, quick noob question. I've followed the steps and finally figured out and completed a rip of Joker into a .ts file. How do I verify that it worked properly and retained DV? I am waiting until after I move in a few weeks to get a DV compatible TV so I can't test it until then, but I wanted to get all my UHD converted ahead of time. I noticed in the 8th posts on the first page of this thread someone had analyzed their file and it shows the DV tag. What program are they using to analyze the file? :?:
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

built_to_chill wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:54 pm
Hi - this is a great development.

I tried with birds of prey. I used the single (BL + EL + RPU) video track created by MakeMKV to make a .ts with tsMuxeR (git-e347781)

The resulting .ts shows as Dolby Vision with BL + EL + RPU in mediainfo but will not play at all on my x700 (let alone in DV). I tried recreating the file a few times.

Wonder if anyone might know what’s up? Perhaps I need to re-tip with an older version of MakeMKV.

Thanks.
if you own an x700 then just add the mpls or m2ts into tsmuxer and output a new m2ts that should work great!
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

Many thanks. Ah ok. I also of course have the option of just playing the disc :-)

However, in my particular case I’m interested in a worlflow where I archive my movies as mkv on my NAS (which I prefer since more information is retained), and then “export” to .ts files when we watch something. I do things this way because I need to copy over to a disc anyway for the X700 (non-gigabit LAN) and I prefer to archive in mkv since more information is kept (such as chapter info).

However, with the newer version of makemkv I’m no longer sure how to create a (X700) DV playable file from the mkv. So I’d be curious to understand if it’s still possible in theory.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

Looks like ExoPlayer guys are not in the mood of give support to DV to MKV any time soon, they are suggesting to others make a pull request instead, https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/iss ... -628588167 I wonder if we have here in this forum someone capable of take a look into their code and do it, probably the first place to look at would be the code that allow .TS and .MP4 with Dolby Vision to work, but I'm not a programmer.

Maybe Mike has the enough knowledge and expertise to do something like that.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm
I always assumed the MKV might change given that there is currently no player support, so, for me I used the MKV rip as an intermediary to the TS files. I'm prepared to rerip again.
Just to share: INFUSE 6 DOES play MKV. https://firecore.com/infuse

Scroll to the bottom for file support:
3GP, AVI, ASF, BDMV, DIVX, DVDMEDIA, DVR-MS, FLV, ISO/IMG, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MTS, MXF, OGM, OGV, TS, VIDEO_TS, WEBM, WMV, WTV

Currently a 4kUHD (Blade Runner 2049 for ex.) 1.15.1 MKV with DV/ATMOS = plays 4k HDR (not Dolby Vision), and the sound comes over as 7.1.

I have the app running on a 4k Apple tv. The app is actively updated and a solid platform choice if you have an apple tv.

My ¢2