Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kcxserver

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by kcxserver »

Kodi 19.x "Matrix" - Alpha 1
Android:
Static HDR10 support for all source types (if supported by the device)
Dynamic Dolby Vision HDR support for streaming services (if supported by the device)

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-19x-matrix-alpha-1
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

kcxserver wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Played only dvhe.05.06, dvhe.05.06 in mp4.
ts, mkv - no luck for now
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Lkr721993 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 pm
SOLARIS wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm
Got it working thank you for anyone who wants the config file it is attached place it in your directory and it will use the exoplayer as default just make sure you restart kodi
\\SHIELD\internal\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata
Thanks, that worked perfectly after installing exoplayer build linked a few pages back
Trying to load the demo content in the app itself fails, but I can navigate to a SMB share in Kodi, and launch Gladiator which I just re-ripped with 1.15.2, and I am getting both Dolby Vision and DTS X.

So for my feedback... I am using an nvidia shield 2019 tube for this - when kodi launches the video in exoplayer, it runs at 60fps. I open the mini menu on the shield to do frame-rate matching, but the display refreshes and exoplayer says it cannot play the file.

Gotta say this is an exciting time!
The built in frame rate matching doesn't work with exoplayer (I think it has to be added to exoplayer itself). Use the app from the Play store called Refresh Rate. There's a few posts about it here. It will properly detect the rate and display it briefly if you enable that feature, but it for some reason it won't switch automatically properly. What I did is in the Refresh Rate settings, set Exoplayer to be 23.98hz by default, since 99% of my DV content is that. And also mapped a key to my remote to be able to bring up the frame rate menu in case I do want to change it on the fly to something other than that (and have the pop up enabled so it shows me the detected frame rate at startup).
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

kcxserver wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Android:
Static HDR10 support for all source types (if supported by the device)
Dynamic Dolby Vision HDR support for streaming services (if supported by the device)

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-19x-matrix-alpha-1
DV in streaming service plugins, Netflix, Disney+ for instance, have worked in kodi for a long time...
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:51 pm
Start reading from page 62 and you will find all the answers.
Appreciate the work you've done on Exoplayer. I tested your build through Kodi on the Nvidia Shield using my NAS shares mounted on the Shield and it all worked perfectly. I haven't tried subtitles but DV and chapters both work.

I know there has been mention of the Shield not putting out accurate DV colors. My receiver is showing 24 bit RGB when playing the DV files, is this what Nvidia is in the process of addressing with their latest beta?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

zeerow2k wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:02 pm
I know there has been mention of the Shield not putting out accurate DV colors. My receiver is showing 24 bit RGB when playing the DV files, is this what Nvidia is in the process of addressing with their latest beta?
Just because your question isn't super clear on this point, Dolby Vision is packaged in an RGB 8 bit signal for transport to your display. It's only the packaging, as it were. The theory was that the BT.2020 flag being applied to that signal was causing problems. However, that's been shown to not be the case. Hopefully nVidia can nail down and fix the color issues. We shall see.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Just because your question isn't super clear on this point, Dolby Vision is packaged in an RGB 8 bit signal for transport to your display. It's only the packaging, as it were. The theory was that the BT.2020 flag being applied to that signal was causing problems. However, that's been shown to not be the case. Hopefully nVidia can nail down and fix the color issues. We shall see.
I know I was pretty terrible at asking the question, but you got the gist of it and answered exactly what I was wondering. The Shield had been giving me fits with HDR10 content, not switching to the correct color space, so when I saw 24 bit RGB being output by Exoplayer and Kodi for DV content I was assuming the worst. I don't know what happened but everything has been playing perfectly now.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

zeerow2k wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:36 pm
I know I was pretty terrible at asking the question, but you got the gist of it and answered exactly what I was wondering. The Shield had been giving me fits with HDR10 content, not switching to the correct color space, so when I saw 24 bit RGB being output by Exoplayer and Kodi for DV content I was assuming the worst. I don't know what happened but everything has been playing perfectly now.
My advice on this, and I'm being mostly serious, don't go looking for trouble in the PQ or you will find it. And once you do, you can't unsee it. There are problems and it's unclear now if they can be solved, let alone will they.
BringerChaos

Post by BringerChaos »

I don't suppose anyone happens to know which profile(s) work on Sony Bravia X9500G via plex OR Firestick 4K plex?
Also if its capable of playing both BL+EL+RPU or BL+RPU?
TV doesn't have a dolby vision icon haha.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 pm
My advice on this, and I'm being mostly serious, don't go looking for trouble in the PQ or you will find it. And once you do, you can't unsee it. There are problems and it's unclear now if they can be solved, let alone will they.
Haha yeah I completely agree with you. DV content looks great, I was more so concerned with my Shield outputting things like it "should" be..if that makes sense. I don't know what was going on but ANY HDR content I played through Plex or Kodi was coming across really funky to the TV. HDR triggered and everything but the colors were completely messed up. I swapped out all cables, removed the receiver from the equation and I was still getting weird picture. It would only fix itself by stopping and playing the video multiple times. I hope you can see why I was now questioning if the Shield was outputting the DV content correctly - to the degree that it can at the moment.

Like I said, all this went away after playing that DV content through Kodi. Now everything triggers properly, whether it be through Kodi or Plex.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That, almost assuredly, sounds like a colorspace issue. As though it wasn't switching from rec.709 to bt.2020 properly. When you say the colors were messed up, did they look washed out? I'm guessing yes.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 pm
That, almost assuredly, sounds like a colorspace issue. As though it wasn't switching from rec.709 to bt.2020 properly. When you say the colors were messed up, did they look washed out? I'm guessing yes.
Yep, it was definitely a color space issue with the Shield. I also have an Apple TV 4K and to rule out the possibility of it being the receiver or TV, I swapped that in and everything played perfectly. Swapped out the ATV for the Shield again, double-checked all settings and it just wasn't working without playing and stopping the video a few times. I know that the Android system can be a little funky at times but I can't really put my finger on what actually ended up fixing it. Fingers crossed that it doesn't go back to fighting me.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

There's some settings in the system settings that can cause that. You need to have colorspace switching enabled, set a resolution that has HDR (and preferably DV) enabled, and if you want DV, you have to enable it in the settings, as well. Once you enabled that DV checkbox, it most likely switched you to a resolution that was compatible with HDR. You should see the messed up default resolution I keep mine in. The shield hates me, but, I have my reasons for doing it the way I do. :D
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

Disappointed to see the new version of MediaInfo still doesn't identify DV in MKV containers. The wait continues...
Boss21

Post by Boss21 »

Please can you help what I am doing wrong.
I followed new method for saving Dv parameters while ripping the movie
I ripped the Dolby vision movie using new update the movie file saved is showing HDR10+.
I used the same to file with TVs muxer nightly update to get the Ts file
The ts file I got still don’t have any Dolby vision parameters.
The original disc contains Dolby vision metadata

Please can someone help what I am doing wrong while making the movie file.