Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by jayper »

Plex is not really part of the formula, yet. Kodi is currently used, as it allows for the selection of an external player. Which is a custom version of ExoPlayer which was created by a member of the forums here.

Probably best to not spam the Plex Github with issues. That'll only upset the development team. There's a feature request space in the Plex forums, and there is a long thread asking for Vision support. Posting there is far more appropriate.
Last edited by jayper on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

jayper wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:18 pm
Probably best to not spam the Plex Github with issues. That'll only upset the development there. There's a feature request space in the Plex forums, and there is a long thread asking for Vision support. Posting there is far more appropriate.
Roger that! I'm adding the current state of affairs to the DV post on the Plex forum:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/dolby-vision-d ... lex/561151

Here's a thread people are upvoting to get Plex to update to the latest ExoPlayer: https://forums.plex.tv/t/request-update ... ers/622086
M2k80

Post by M2k80 »

got the shield update, on exoplayer test version from yuseope, the first 2 demo videos now have strange colors, unplayable (P4_LG_Dolby_trailer_4k_Demo and P5_Dolby_Amaze)
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Cannikin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:44 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:10 pm
Plex uses ffmpeg primarily, so Exoplayer is only for format support on Android. We rarely see plex doing features for one platform only
Ahhh most of the threads always talk about a custom version of ExoPlayer "unlocking" DV in Plex on the Shield (or at least the Plex plugin for Kodi). What would be needed to support DV in the official Plex app on the Shield?
Plex uses Exoplayer, but also have a lot of custom stuff added on the side. So that means that they cant just merge in whatever as it may break their other stuff. Them pulling in new updates requires them to have to crosscheck all their systems and maybe even make changes/additions to make sure everything works.

Simply put: They don't just use Exoplayer as-is, they use it as a base and then worked around it. This is the reason why they can't just update all the time :)
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

M2k80 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm
got the shield update, on exoplayer test version from yuseope, the first 2 demo videos now have strange colors, unplayable (P4_LG_Dolby_trailer_4k_Demo and P5_Dolby_Amaze)
I also have 8.2 on it. I can't watch that. Everything is going as it was before. Demofiles and MakeMKV rips are played correctly.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

kcxserver wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
I also have 8.2 on it. I can't watch that. Everything is going as it was before. Demofiles and MakeMKV rips are played correctly.
Happens randomly
https://imgur.com/8j6EG9Y
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Hi, I want to ask what is the best quality to do a Dolby Vision remux. In mkv or .TS? Thank you very much.
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

Tomas wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:42 pm
Hi, I want to ask what is the best quality to do a Dolby Vision remux. In mkv or .TS? Thank you very much.
TS and MKV are both containers so they make no difference to quality, MKV is preferable as it supports chapters and subtitles.
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is possible for frames to get dropped when muxing to MKV. Has to do with timing, as I recall. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.) So, strictly speaking, TS is ideal, if bloated. This is also not a problem that a vast majority of people will ever notice, assuming it's even real. I don't think I've ever come across an MKV with dropped frames that came from a proper rip, and I've ripped a bunch of discs.
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

MakeMKV will drop frames to maintain audio/video sync. It isn't something that one would necessarily see during playback though. Generally, discs with extensive seamless branching exhibit the issue the most.
kavie87

Post by kavie87 »

I have a quick question. I have mounted my NAS onto Kodi via NFS will that work? or will I need to mount the NAS onto the Shield?
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

kavie87 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:35 am
I have a quick question. I have mounted my NAS onto Kodi via NFS will that work? or will I need to mount the NAS onto the Shield?
I wouldn't think it would matter. As long as Kodi can see the files on the Shield it should work.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Dinst wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:16 pm
Tomas wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:42 pm
TS and MKV are both containers so they make no difference to quality, MKV is preferable as it supports chapters and subtitles.
Mmm, TS and M2TS support subtitles too...

If you are ripping for playback on the Oppo clone or jail broken Oppo you could rip to Movie only ISO, this will keep original profile Dolby Vision, Atmos, Chapters and Subtitles, on the Oppo you can even assign a Movie thumbnail .
kavie87

Post by kavie87 »

Figured I’ll change settings on my NAS so I can mount direct onto shield. Has someone made a video how to add exoplayer onto shield so it plays Dolby vision?
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

Slightly off-topic but anyone here tried Watchmen Ultimate edition?

Makemkv managed to create the mkv file which triggers DV with Kodi on modded exoplyer. But tsmuxer latest nightly errors with the following:
tsMuxeR finished with error code -1.
B-pyramid level 2 detected. Shift DTS to 3 frames
Have anyone seen this before?