Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
E.Flynn

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by E.Flynn »

by Cannikin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:39 pm

For other players, like Plex on the AppleTV, supposedly you will not be able to trigger DV no matter what format the file is in because the AppleTV doesn't allow third party apps to enable Dolby Vision. I believe the AppleTV doesn't allow full Atmos streams either. I've seen this myself where an .mkv with a Dolby Atmos audio track only triggered Dolby Digital+ on my receiver, but playing the same file through Plex on a Shield triggered TrueHD/Atmos as expected.
So even with Infuse installed on Apple TV4k a DV file with Dolby Atmos in a .ts package is not playable?
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

The AppleTV restrictions are in regards to the DV profile selected for playback. The AppleTV can playback DV through 3rd party applications just fine, unfortunately, the profile on UHD-BD is not single layer. As for Atmos, again, the AppleTV can play it back through third party apps as long as it is the DD+ version and not TrueHD based.
Last edited by Balthazar2k4 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Balthazar2k4 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 pm
The AppleTV restrictions are in regards to the DV profiled selected for playback. The AppleTV can playback DV through 3rd party applications just fine, unfortunately, the profile on UHD-BD is not single layer. As for Atmos, again, the AppleTV can play it back through third party apps as long as it is the DD+ version and not TrueHD based.
Thanks for the correction!
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

E.Flynn wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 pm
by Cannikin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:39 pm

For other players, like Plex on the AppleTV, supposedly you will not be able to trigger DV no matter what format the file is in because the AppleTV doesn't allow third party apps to enable Dolby Vision. I believe the AppleTV doesn't allow full Atmos streams either. I've seen this myself where an .mkv with a Dolby Atmos audio track only triggered Dolby Digital+ on my receiver, but playing the same file through Plex on a Shield triggered TrueHD/Atmos as expected.
So even with Infuse installed on Apple TV4k a DV file with Dolby Atmos in a .ts package is not playable?
No. Infuse will only play the HDR10 layer.
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

Cannikin wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:39 pm
gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:21 pm
Is there any update or moded player that can help me?
Not without some manual work. In Kodi, you can specify a custom player to use. There is a custom version of Exoplayer linked to in this thread in a couple of places. If you use that, DV will trigger when playing through Kodi (I haven't tried this myself, but I'm aware of the ability after reading through the thread).
I'm using that Exoplayer version but has the same limitation. If the file has video1 hdr10 and video 2 DV will only send hdr10 to the tv no matter what I choose. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
E.Flynn

Post by E.Flynn »

Putting the information together that I've read ONE of the options for viewing DV from a ripped disk with Dolby Atmos is to:
Use MakeMKV (v1.15.1 or above) and make a MKV version of the disk.
Select the mkv file for the movie, this will be the largest file. If there are multiple files of the same size select the one that has the option in the file that you want. In this case language and chapters.
Use TSmuxer (04.06 fix) to create a .ts version of mkv file created above.
IF YOU want to add Dolby Atmos, and it available on the disk, you can use RESET_9999 method and take the .m2ts file from the disk add that file to TSmuxer (04.06 fix) along with the MKV file DEselect everything you don't want (PGS subtitles extra Audio tracks) then create a .ts file.
The .ts file will contain a single layer DV track and Dolby Atmos track along with any other audio tracks you want.

To get the .m2ts file you will need to create a BDMV file then select the Stream folder and find the .m2ts file that contains the video this is usually the largest .m2ts file.
To get the BDMV file you could use DVDFAB and the "COPY" > "MAIN Movie" or "FULL DISK" option to create the BDMV file.

You than would then use Shield PRO (preferred) and play back on your Dolby Vision capable TV through a Dolby Atmos capable receiver.

Anything here I'm missing? Please correct me if I'm off track here.
argo44

Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by argo44 »

Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
- Does not have to be MKV file as long as it works with the Shield. Thanks.
- Do not care about Dolby Atmos but do want to retain lossless audio
Mr_Orange

Re: Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by Mr_Orange »

argo44 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
Not without some significant stuffing around with your rips and/or sideloading a modified version of Exoplayer for use with Kodi.
sajtipajti

Post by sajtipajti »

E.Flynn wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 pm
Putting the information together that I've read ONE of the options for viewing DV from a ripped disk with Dolby Atmos is to:
Select the mkv file for the movie, this will be the largest file. If there are multiple files of the same size select the one that has the option in the file that you want. In this case language and chapters.
IF YOU want to add Dolby Atmos, and it available on the disk, you can use RESET_9999 method and take the .m2ts file from the disk add that file to TSmuxer (04.06 fix) along with the MKV file DEselect everything you don't want (PGS subtitles extra Audio tracks) then create a .ts file.
The .ts file will contain a single layer DV track and Dolby Atmos track along with any other audio tracks you want.

To get the .m2ts file you will need to create a BDMV file then select the Stream folder and find the .m2ts file that contains the video this is usually the largest .m2ts file.
To get the BDMV file you could use DVDFAB and the "COPY" > "MAIN Movie" or "FULL DISK" option to create the BDMV file.

You than would then use Shield PRO (preferred) and play back on your Dolby Vision capable TV through a Dolby Atmos capable receiver.

- Use BDinfo to find out, which mpls belongs to main movie.
- Open this mpls in tsmuxerGUI
- Delete the tracks, you don't want to keep
- Set the destination file name and path
- Hit the "Start muxing" button....

:)
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

sajtipajti wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:29 am
Do I need to do something first before using BDInfo because when I put a 4K disc in my drive and set it to scan, I always get error messages about not being able to scan the stream file and that the disc may be copy-protected or damaged?

Well, obviously, it is copy-protected... do I need to open the disc with MakeMKV first?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 am
sajtipajti wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:29 am
Do I need to do something first before using BDInfo because when I put a 4K disc in my drive and set it to scan, I always get error messages about not being able to scan the stream file and that the disc may be copy-protected or damaged?

Well, obviously, it is copy-protected... do I need to open the disc with MakeMKV first?
Rip the full disk with Makemkv first, then from this back up select the movie playlist in TSmuxer delete any unwanted tracks, select output format then run it, you will then get a TS or M2TS to play in full DV and lossless Audio...

This is all presuming you have a UHD ‘friendly’ drive.
gottahavit

Re: Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by gottahavit »

argo44 wrote:
Hi folks,

EDIT -
Yes it's easy, you have 2 options(I've tested both with my Shield Pro 2019)
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

#1 takes a little time to setup, but then you can just use makemkv
#2 just means setting up plec, but you need to remux every mkv.

Search "ExoPlayer APK" this thread
Search "playercorefactory" this thread
Search "TSMuxer" this thread

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
E.Flynn

Post by E.Flynn »

Post by sajtipajti » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:29 am

E.Flynn wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 pm

- Open this mpls in tsmuxerGUI
- Delete the tracks, you don't want to keep
- Set the destination file name and path
- Hit the "Start muxing" button....

:)
Thanks sajtipajti for the BDinfo tip
This saves a step in not having to create a BDMV file and searching for the correct .m2ts file.
argo44

Post by argo44 »

Mr_Orange wrote:
argo44 wrote:
Hi folks,

EDIT -
Not without some significant stuffing around with your rips and/or sideloading a modified version of Exoplayer for use with Kodi.
That’s all fine with me. I’m into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
argo44

Post by argo44 »

gottahavit wrote:
argo44 wrote:
Hi folks,

EDIT -
Yes it's easy, you have 2 options(I've tested both with my Shield Pro 2019)
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

#1 takes a little time to setup, but then you can just use makemkv
#2 just means setting up plec, but you need to remux every mkv.

Search "ExoPlayer APK" this thread
Search "playercorefactory" this thread
Search "TSMuxer" this thread

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
This is great info. Thank you for this. I will give this a go. Two follow up questions...

1. Do I need to re-rip anything? In my searching on this thread before I put my post up it seems a few months ago there was a new release of MakeMKV that was important to use for DV playback.

2. Can I use any other applications like Emby for instance instead of Kodi or Plex?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk