Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
siriusbox

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by siriusbox »

steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Yea - now we just have to wait for mike to hopefully get it in :D Untill then nothing can be tested
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 am
planet_hoarder wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 pm
evilmatcher wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Hi
I cannot get my TV to toggle Dolby Vision (only HDR) with my Shutter Island rip, which has been created with version 1.15.1 and remuxed to TS.

Mediainfo shows this:

I am using Plex on my Shield Pro 2019 connected to my LG C9 via a Denon AVR-X3500 receiver.

Am I missing a setting on Shield? The resolution on Shield is set to "4K 23.976 Hz Dolby Vision and HDR10 ready" and Dolby Vision is activated in the Display & Sound menu. The Shield is fully updated.

What have I done wrong?
I think I read something about that.
Your media info says profile 4, which is dual layer with MEL.
I think EL is being discarded, because movie is in FEL.

can you cut a sample out for me to test?
No, there's nothing wrong with that file from looking at the mediainfo, Profile 4 supports both MEL and FEL. When creating an mkv file with makemkv 1.15.1, the original BL and EL tracks will be combined into a single track just like yusecope's tool. Here's a sample from an FEL title created the same way as all the others: https://mega.nz/file/MHpBBLjK#4bM5jsNgP ... glhYbzLcQ0 . And again, this is confirmed to work on the 2019 Shield. Playback on anything else, including the LG internal player, is not guaranteed.
yep, this file doesn't work on LG internal player and MPC-HC with madVR doesn't detect it as HDR. weird...
oh well, maybe I buy Shield TV and check quality difference between all the different profiles and players. Still pissed that LG internal player doesn't support lossless audio or it's passthrough...
thanks for help
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

dysprosium wrote:Dolby Vision in MKV standard pull request has been merged, and is live.

http://cellar-wg.github.io/matroska-spe ... specs.html
Brilliant! Can't wait to see the resulting player work to support it. And of course we need a new makemkv build as well. But this is exciting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

evilmatcher wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 am
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I now see that I have two problems instead of one ;-)

When I played the video sample on Shield connected to the TV via the receiver is still showed HDR, but when I connected Shield directly to the TV's HDMI2 port first HDR was toggled but after a few seconds Dolby vision showed up perfectly. I tried to play Shutter Island on the Shield directly connected to the TV and it still only showed HDR.

All this leads me to think that I have a problem with the TS remux and I have a problem with settings on the surround receiver.

Do you have any tips?
It's possible that one of the HDMI cables in the chain might not be quite up to par. Make sure they're 18gbs certified (aka premium) cables. The remux process I'm not entirely sure since it looks you've been following all the right steps and the mediainfo looks good. Maybe try another title after you get the set up issue resolved?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm
dysprosium wrote:Dolby Vision in MKV standard pull request has been merged, and is live.

Brilliant! Can't wait to see the resulting player work to support it. And of course we need a new makemkv build as well. But this is exciting!

We need the Shield update for the color issue as well...
you guys still didn't receive the BETA update?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:24 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm

We need the Shield update for the color issue as well...
you guys still didn't receive the BETA update?
The test image never ended up getting pushed to me because another tester before me had some mixed results, so they're going back to do more internal work before proceeding any further.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's not a bad thing. I'd prefer they take their time with this and get it right because if they do, we're about to have the ultimate Dolby Vision experience.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Yeah definitely. Not being able to go into their offices and use their testing equipment has definitely slowed things down, but I'm just glad to know they're still actively working on it. I'm sure it'll get worked out sooner than later.
evilmatcher

Post by evilmatcher »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm
evilmatcher wrote:
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I now see that I have two problems instead of one ;-)

When I played the video sample on Shield connected to the TV via the receiver is still showed HDR, but when I connected Shield directly to the TV's HDMI2 port first HDR was toggled but after a few seconds Dolby vision showed up perfectly. I tried to play Shutter Island on the Shield directly connected to the TV and it still only showed HDR.

All this leads me to think that I have a problem with the TS remux and I have a problem with settings on the surround receiver.

Do you have any tips?
It's possible that one of the HDMI cables in the chain might not be quite up to par. Make sure they're 18gbs certified (aka premium) cables. The remux process I'm not entirely sure since it looks you've been following all the right steps and the mediainfo looks good. Maybe try another title after you get the set up issue resolved?
Thanks for the help. I tried to start a Dolby Vision movie on Netflix, which worked perfectly and toggled DV. I tried to update the Plex app on the Shield and now I can see Shutter Island with DV :D . I was apparently a bit naiv and thought it was updated as part of the update of the Shield.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

evilmatcher wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm
evilmatcher wrote:

Do you have any tips?
Thanks for the help. I tried to start a Dolby Vision movie on Netflix, which worked perfectly and toggled DV. I tried to update the Plex app on the Shield and now I can see Shutter Island with DV :D . I was apparently a bit naiv and thought it was updated as part of the update of the Shield.
ah of course! I had the same issue in the very beginning as well and completely forgot about it. I'm guessing a brand new shield will not auto-update the plex app that comes with it unless you manually update it at least once.
mathias19

Post by mathias19 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm

@mathias19
Are you sure you are using the version of mp4muxer from the version I linked? There should not be a mp4muxer.exe in the bin folder, just mp4muxer_64bits.exe and mp4muxer_32bits.exe. If there is only a mp4muxer.exe, then you are using the wrong version and it will not work.

Here's also a sample mp4 for you to try: https://mega.nz/file/kHY22ayA#mFSmIb4Fc ... ieHENENAgo . It doesn't have audio, but you can at least test to see if the video will work.
I've got it working. Thanks for your help!

When do you think the Dolby Vision MKV standard will be finalised? What is your opinion on how long it will take for the softwares of LG, plex, kodi, etc to implement the changes allowing recognition of DV in a mkv container?
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

mathias19 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am

When do you think the Dolby Vision MKV standard will be finalised? What is your opinion on how long it will take for the softwares of LG, plex, kodi, etc to implement the changes allowing recognition of DV in a mkv container?
Dolby has nothing to do here, they are not related to the current support, and they probably will not like that community finally find a wayt to do it. MKV group already merged the changes yesterday, two things more remains; that MakeMKV and other similar software, like MVKToolnix, generate the MKV using the agreed format, probably a matter of days, and players add support for it on licensed hardware, which could take a bit more. Forget about LG support on WebOS (so no support for Plex over WebOS either), but it could be possible on other brands using Android TV, for instance. Plex and Kodi developers are aware of the current progress and my bet is that we will see support on Plex long before Kodi do. It's a matter of few months or maybe less for Plex, but probably you will need to wait to Kodi 19 to get support.

The important thing anyway is you can start making your backups once Mike update MakeMKV and they will be ready for the moment the player support comes.

Regards.
Peter Quill

Post by Peter Quill »

Hello guys. I'm new here.
I'm curious about the possibility of Dolby Vision and MKV.
A question, as I still don't quite understand the subject: When preparing a remux of BD 4K (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) will be merged in just one video? Will this process reencode?
Is it possible to join the two videos without having to reencode?
mathias19

Post by mathias19 »

siriusbox wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 am
mathias19 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am

Dolby has nothing to do here, they are not related to the current support, and they probably will not like that community finally find a wayt to do it. MKV group already merged the changes yesterday, two things more remains; that MakeMKV and other similar software, like MVKToolnix, generate the MKV using the agreed format, probably a matter of days, and players add support for it on licensed hardware, which could take a bit more. Forget about LG support on WebOS (so no support for Plex over WebOS either), but it could be possible on other brands using Android TV, for instance. Plex and Kodi developers are aware of the current progress and my bet is that we will see support on Plex long before Kodi do. It's a matter of few months or maybe less for Plex, but probably you will need to wait to Kodi 19 to get support.

The important thing anyway is you can start making your backups once Mike update MakeMKV and they will be ready for the moment the player support comes.

Regards.
Thanks for the info. Here's hoping for Kodi 19 Matrix however I've read some posts saying kodi 20!