Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Pmaw10

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Pmaw10 »

I'm assuming this "color issue" is one of those things where you'd only notice if you stared really hard at 2 screenshots side by side, one being the issue and the other being normal? Because Dolby Vision content on my shield looks stunning.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's more noticeable in some content than others.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@ Pmaw10 , nop, I noticed the difference right away. But I do really care(probably too much lol) about color accuracy.

The shield came out on Oct 28th, noticed the saturation on Nov 7th.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=80752#p80727

But it's probably more obvious with uhd-bd rip than streaming app.
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

baker99 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:41 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:50 am
TickTock wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am

I nearly purchased a Sony x700 a couple of months ago for a good price but I read that some users have had problems with high bitrate films. If only it had a USB 3 port or gigabit network capability.

no problems at all when played via the USB port. Even the 60fps 4k DV FEL Atmos Gemini Man works.
Yes usb is perfect, just frustrating the ethernet port sucks
Ouch, the comments I read must have been relating to ethernet playback. I still would prefer to use the Shield because of having files in mkv format (subtitles, space etc), of course colour reproduction has to be correct before anything else.

The good news from Nvidia is:
Team is still working to hunt down what's going on.

The slightly worrying news is:
We still don't really know if SHIELD is correct or not.
If the problem isn't fixed the "gamble" wouldn't have cost me too much as used Shields seem to hold most of their value. After selling the Shield I would probably buy a Sony x700 as temporary fix until a new device is released that solves all problems.

I've just unboxed my Shield, once I set everything up I'm going to compare the Doctor Sleep scene with my TVs internal player.

edit: Well that didn't last long. I was going through the set up screen and the Shield automatically started to download an update. It got towards the end and just after I pushed my AVR back a little the Shield turned off and now won't turn back on lol. My Odroid N2 which is the only other thing connected to my AVR turns on and off fine. When I removed the HDMI cable that's connected to my Shield from my AVR I felt a little buzz on my finger.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Pmaw10 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 pm
I'm assuming this "color issue" is one of those things where you'd only notice if you stared really hard at 2 screenshots side by side, one being the issue and the other being normal? Because Dolby Vision content on my shield looks stunning.
Netflix Marvel content makes it insanely noticeable. The way they seem to shoot things seems to bring it out more than other sources. Most other times, I don't notice it. I did some tweaks on the HDFury Vertex 2 to alleviate the issue, but it'd be nice if nVidia fixed it.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:34 am
Fantastic news! And yes, MKVToolNix needs to be updated to avoid breaking these files. Let the re-ripping begin. :D Thanks, Mike!
This got an update on August 2, can someone confirm it is good to go?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Pmaw10 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 pm
I find it really noticeable on some titles, Saving Private Ryan just looks ‘off’ other titles the sky looks blown also, if you are not suceptable to colour shift then it will look great, I think most people that it bothers have another source to compare it with, once you have seen it done correctly it becomes unwatchable.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Krawk wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:34 am
Fantastic news! And yes, MKVToolNix needs to be updated to avoid breaking these files. Let the re-ripping begin. :D Thanks, Mike!
This got an update on August 2, can someone confirm it is good to go?
Yup it's been updated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

evilmatcher

Post by evilmatcher »

Is there any central place to see what kind of Dolby Vision profile that is used on the single UHDs? I tried to look at the blu-ray.com list of DV films, but they do not track that information.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

I just want to find out whether the Shield limitation on certain DV profiles is a big issue, and hence buy a separate UHD disc player for these discs
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

evilmatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:46 pm
Is there any central place to see what kind of Dolby Vision profile that is used on the single UHDs? I tried to look at the blu-ray.com list of DV films, but they do not track that information.

I just want to find out whether the Shield limitation on certain DV profiles is a big issue, and hence buy a separate UHD disc player for these discs
they’re all profile 7
evilmatcher

Post by evilmatcher »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm
evilmatcher wrote:

they’re all profile 7
Thanks - and since MKV 1.15.2 converts the profile 7 to a profile 4 I won't have any problems - right?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

evilmatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
evilmatcher wrote:

they’re all profile 7
Thanks - and since MKV 1.15.2 converts the profile 7 to a profile 4 I won't have any problems - right?
MakeMKV does no such thing, but the Shield can play the profile 7 files just fine. Whether or not it's playing them accurately is a whole separate discussion, however.
evilmatcher

Post by evilmatcher »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 pm
evilmatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

they’re all profile 7
MakeMKV does no such thing, but the Shield can play the profile 7 files just fine. Whether or not it's playing them accurately is a whole separate discussion, however.
Thanks for the clarification
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Hi testers!
Today it was really too hot...that's why I spent a few hours coding with the aim of implementing chapters support (for mkv files only).
The code is very "basic" (to say the least :lol:) and I hope it works properly!
Furthermore, if you open the app directly, you can play the test files that mike has made available.

HERE you can find the new apk.

Let me know!
Many thanks for the app!
Can you implement the autoframerate function from this? https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartYouTub ... oframerate
SOLARIS

Post by SOLARIS »

Ive installed Exoplayer by copying the file to my nas then installing on the shield through file explorer.

How do I get videos to play through exoplayer i cant seem to play any through kodi to get it to launch the app neither can I change the add on settings to change the player any insight will be a great help.