Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:29 pm
Larrikin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Now, as for DTX, I realise I can't convert it to TrueHD Atmos, but I am wondering whether I can convert it to TrueHD 7.1 (non ATMOS). Likewise for DTS-MA 7.1 to True HD 7.1. That's what I am looking at now.
Like I said, you can't. The best you can do is the experimental ffmpeg truehd encoder which only supports up to 5.1. But seeing as how you've already tried downmixing and converting, I don't know if it's worth continuing to dig deeper into that hole. Another option you can try is to convert the DTS to FLAC. You'll keep the high fidelity but apparently the Sonos can only handle 2.1 FLAC (it's a soundbar, anything above 2.1 is fake anyways).
Ahh, OK. So here is my final question on the matter then. Do you think I would notice much of a difference between E-AC3 at 960k vs AC3 at 640k? That makes a big difference in terms of my work flow and time to convert. Massive. But if the sound quality difference is worth it, then I'd go the longer process.
Yep,honestly, for a soundbar you won't notice any difference between e-ac3 @ 960k and ac3 @ 640k. Also, ffmpeg can only do truehd at 5.1 max. What are the bitrates of some of your working truehd files? I'd assume they are higher than 1536k?

Anyway, if it saves you considerable time, just stick with the AC3.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

OK then. So this goes back to Mike in that - can you please support as an input for the audio conversion DTS:X? I have an AC3 profile which works with all other variants of DTS other than DTS:X.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Larrikin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:30 am
Now open mkvtoolnix, add the mkv you created with MakeMKV, deselect the DTS-HD audio track, add the audio.ac3 file and mux to a new mkv file. This file should retain the DV (as you are using the MakeMKV generated mkv file) and now have only an ac3 audio track.
This is the bit where I'm going to get stuck. Everything else above that is straight forward (thanks to you). I only have macOS running in my environment and I don't think mkvtoolnix supports macOS. Also, installing mkvtoolnix looked like a nightmare with all these other things you have to install along with it. Anyhow, a mute point because I don't run Linux.
I have MKVToolnix on my Mac, works fine
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

djbuddha wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm
Larrikin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:30 am
Now open mkvtoolnix, add the mkv you created with MakeMKV, deselect the DTS-HD audio track, add the audio.ac3 file and mux to a new mkv file. This file should retain the DV (as you are using the MakeMKV generated mkv file) and now have only an ac3 audio track.
This is the bit where I'm going to get stuck. Everything else above that is straight forward (thanks to you). I only have macOS running in my environment and I don't think mkvtoolnix supports macOS. Also, installing mkvtoolnix looked like a nightmare with all these other things you have to install along with it. Anyhow, a mute point because I don't run Linux.
I have MKVToolnix on my Mac, works fine
Yes, I have since worked that out and have used it. However, what would be more ideal is that the AC3 profile in MakeMKV supports the conversion of DTS:X. It converts all other variants of DTS, just not DTS:X. Avoids then having to use ffmpeg to extract audio, and remux it with MKVToolnix. A massive time saving. Just hope Mike adds support for DTS:X.
Alldu

Post by Alldu »

Ok guys, so does anyone who uses Sony x700 to play Dobly VIsion m2ts files (created by nightly tsMuxer), run in the following problem: if a movie is long - over two hours (like Schindler's List or Braveheart), the resulting m2ts file has limited options. And by that I mean - you can play it and you can pause it on Sony x700 just fine, but you can't fast forward it or rewind. Like, when you press the button it gives the "this function is not available" message. Which is not really convinient if you don't watch the movie in one go, or want to check some scenes. So what could that be? The weird limitation of time in a m2ts container? Or limitation of file size? Anybody know?
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

Anyone managed to find ExoPlayer v2.12.0 (2020-09-11) the .apk file?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
If you are referring to the latest release build of exoplayer on github, then you are not going to find one. The project on github is an API used by other applications. The only apk that you can build out of it is a demo that can be used to the view the supplied demo files. If you have the knowhow, you can modify it to read custom files (like yusecope has done with his modified version) and then build the demo apk out of that.
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:47 am
gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
If you are referring to the latest release build of exoplayer on github, then you are not going to find one. The project on github is an API used by other applications. The only apk that you can build out of it is a demo that can be used to the view the supplied demo files. If you have the knowhow, you can modify it to read custom files (like yusecope has done with his modified version) and then build the demo apk out of that.
Thank you for your reply!
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

I'm sorry for drudging this up again but I am drawing a complete mental blank.

Should this be triggering DV on a Shield Pro?

Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-25 095249.png
Screenshot 2020-10-25 095249.png (71.37 KiB) Viewed 18253 times
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 pm

No, it looks like a dual layer remux but it won't work on anything as the EL doesn't have Dolby Vision.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Dinst wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:59 pm
chrisandy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 pm

No, it looks like a dual layer remux but it won't work on anything as the EL doesn't have Dolby Vision.
That's what I thought - thanks for confirming. So theoretically would work on HDR10+ but not DV?
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

I have just purchased the UHD 4K of Terminator Dark Fate which supports Dolby Vision and indeed works on my UHD Panasonic Bluray player. However, when using MakeMKV to backup my disc, it refuses to copy across Dolby Vision. Plex will only ever play it in HDR.

Is there something particular with this movie / disc?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Larrikin wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 am
I have just purchased the UHD 4K of Terminator Dark Fate which supports Dolby Vision and indeed works on my UHD Panasonic Bluray player. However, when using MakeMKV to backup my disc, it refuses to copy across Dolby Vision. Plex will only ever play it in HDR.

Is there something particular with this movie / disc?
No, there shouldn't be. You have to be a bit more specific than just "refuses to copy across Dolby Vision". Does makemkv not show BL+FEL+RPU when opening the disk? Does the new mediainfo not detect dolby vision?
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 am
Does makemkv not show BL+FEL+RPU when opening the disk? Does the new mediainfo not detect dolby vision?
No and no. And to doubly test it, I downloaded a full complete UHD copy and tried it with MKV and same result. I also tried on multiple computers all with the latest (registered) version of MakeMKV.
Sparky101

Post by Sparky101 »

Larrikin wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:01 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 am
Does makemkv not show BL+FEL+RPU when opening the disk? Does the new mediainfo not detect dolby vision?
No and no. And to doubly test it, I downloaded a full complete UHD copy and tried it with MKV and same result. I also tried on multiple computers all with the latest (registered) version of MakeMKV.
What version of MakeMKV are you running?