Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
zomorf

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by zomorf »

Just a question with uncertainty with how we may in the end need to create files... are we better off backing these up with Dual Video as in Video 1 and Video 2. Or will we be able to re-create what is needed in the end with what we have via makemkv as in 1 video ??? I'm guessing we will have to re-create some movies...

Thanks in advance...
lata
zomorf
Alldu

Post by Alldu »

Liersi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Alldu wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:10 pm
Look for the tsMuxer you need on page 161 in Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux thread. Trujax kindly shared it over there, and it forces profile 5 DV, which will run nicely on your ATV4K via Infuse. Of course, before that you'll need to use yusesope tool to make a one layer DV file - but I assume you already know the drill?
Does the ATV4K only play profile 5 DV correctly? Or is that an Infuse thing? I've been using MrMC on ATV4K for the .04.06 files I prepared for my Shield, and they play and trigger LLDV fine. Then again, I have no frame of reference for DV other than the Vertex2 saying it's getting LLDV on input. Do these work correctly?
All I know is that Infuse excepts only one layer profile 5 DV and it's been proven the colors are correct :)
userr

Post by userr »

Alldu wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
Liersi wrote:
Alldu wrote:
Look for the tsMuxer you need on page 161 in Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux thread. Trujax kindly shared it over there, and it forces profile 5 DV, which will run nicely on your ATV4K via Infuse. Of course, before that you'll need to use yusesope tool to make a one layer DV file - but I assume you already know the drill?
Does the ATV4K only play profile 5 DV correctly? Or is that an Infuse thing? I've been using MrMC on ATV4K for the .04.06 files I prepared for my Shield, and they play and trigger LLDV fine. Then again, I have no frame of reference for DV other than the Vertex2 saying it's getting LLDV on input. Do these work correctly?
All I know is that Infuse excepts only one layer profile 5 DV and it's been proven the colors are correct :)
as far as i know, ATV only handles profile 5 files, so no idea how DV is triggered, maybe mrmc redirects 04.06 to profile 5?
niteflyr

Post by niteflyr »

Alldu wrote:

Look for the tsMuxer you need on page 161 in Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux thread. Trujax kindly shared it over there, and it forces profile 5 DV, which will run nicely on your ATV4K via Infuse. Of course, before trhat you'll need to use yusesope tool to make a one layer DV file - but I assume you already know the drill?
Thanks for the help. That worked. Sorta know the drill just getting started. What are you using to extract the HEVC files from the MKV to feed into the Yusesope tool? tsMuxer isn't working for me to demux. It's only seeing one HEVC and spitting out an error about track 1 most of the time.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Liersi wrote:
On the ATV4k, if you have DV turned on and match dynamic range turned off, it will trigger DV on all HDR content (maybe SDR also, but not sure), regardless if the source has DV. This might be what you're seeing on MrMC since profile 4 is not supported. Some people like this as it makes regular HDR look "brighter", but it definitely is not real DV in the traditional sense.

As far as profile 5 and infuse goes, there is definitely some picture data lost when your source is a FEL title because the EL is ignored. For MEL, all the data is there but in an old thread on the Plex forums, a few people made some comparisons between the UHD disc and dvdfab profile 5 rip (same as yusecope's mode 2) of an MEL title (Joker) and noticed some discrepancies in the colors. This could be attributed to the different color space that is supposed to be used for profile 5 (IPTPQc2) and the lack of a color space conversion in the UHD source -> profile 5 creation process.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:14 pm
On the ATV4k, if you have DV turned on and match dynamic range turned off, it will trigger DV on all HDR content (maybe SDR also, but not sure), regardless if the source has DV. This might be what you're seeing on MrMC since profile 4 is not supported. Some people like this as it makes regular HDR look "brighter", but it definitely is not real DV in the traditional sense.
Curious. Match dynamic range is turned on, and I'm only getting LLDV sent from those profile 4 files. HDR10 content sends HDR10. I'd read you could force the ATV4K into a DV conversion, so thanks for telling me how to do that. I do wonder what MrMC is playing, if you say that only profile 5 is supported on the ATV4K. If it's a conversion, it's only converting DV files, nothing else.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

niteflyr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm
Thanks for the help. That worked. Sorta know the drill just getting started. What are you using to extract the HEVC files from the MKV to feed into the Yusesope tool? tsMuxer isn't working for me to demux. It's only seeing one HEVC and spitting out an error about track 1 most of the time.
For yusecope's tool, you should start with the decrypted folder backup.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Liersi wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm
Curious. Match dynamic range is turned on, and I'm only getting LLDV sent from those profile 4 files. HDR10 content sends HDR10. I'd read you could force the ATV4K into a DV conversion, so thanks for telling me how to do that. I do wonder what MrMC is playing, if you say that only profile 5 is supported on the ATV4K. If it's a conversion, it's only converting DV files, nothing else.
Ah that is interesting then. I don't have an ATV4k myself and have only heard of it supporting profile 5, so I have no idea what it's doing either. Maybe somebody else with an ATV can chime in further.
ragico

Post by ragico »

It seems it takes longer than anticipated for the new makemkv update version.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

ragico wrote:It seems it takes longer than anticipated for the new makemkv update version.
That is an astute observation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Alldu

Post by Alldu »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm
niteflyr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm
For yusecope's tool, you should start with the decrypted folder backup.
Yeah, skip the mkv step if you're going this way. Backup your UHD BDMV decrypted, then use ffmpeg to get both layers out. The command line for it would be something like - ffmpeg.exe -i "D:\000001.m2ts" -map 0:0 -c copy 1.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy 2.hevc. That's it.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Personally I'm a friend of beta field tests. Mike has never done that and I had also a conversation with SamuriHL and he wasn't a friend of it either concerning another feature. However, I think the feedback of 50+ beta testers would give a good impression if a new feature works flawlessy. Just my 2 cents.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm
Ah that is interesting then. I don't have an ATV4k myself and have only heard of it supporting profile 5, so I have no idea what it's doing either. Maybe somebody else with an ATV can chime in further.
What's even weirder is that Plex on the Shield now refuses to play the profile 4 files in LLDV. MrMC on the Shield crashes, but before it does it plays the same files in LLDV. It really is early days for this stuff. I'm having fun horsing around and seeing what works, just have to remind myself not to invest too much time. I'll have to re-rip all of these again when Mike implements the new MKV DV standard.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Liersi wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:20 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm
What's even weirder is that Plex on the Shield now refuses to play the profile 4 files in LLDV. MrMC on the Shield crashes, but before it does it plays the same files in LLDV. It really is early days for this stuff. I'm having fun horsing around and seeing what works, just have to remind myself not to invest too much time. I'll have to re-rip all of these again when Mike implements the new MKV DV standard.
Could be an issue with LLDV on the Shield as I've never had any issues with Plex not playing my DV rips. One thing you can do to troubleshoot I guess is to change up your EDID to get the Shield to send out an original (non-LLDV) DV signal and see if that fixes the issue with Plex. You won't get a compatible picture with your projector but at least the Vertex will tell you if it's sending out the right signal (RGB 8bit for original DV).
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm
Could be an issue with LLDV on the Shield as I've never had any issues with Plex not playing my DV rips. One thing you can do to troubleshoot I guess is to change up your EDID to get the Shield to send out an original (non-LLDV) DV signal and see if that fixes the issue with Plex. You won't get a compatible picture with your projector but at least the Vertex will tell you if it's sending out the right signal (RGB 8bit for original DV).
That's a great idea for troubleshooting tonight. Thank you very much, Shawn!

Late night edit: I figured this out. Played around with the EDID while it was playing, no dice. Your idea put me in the right kind of open mind, and suddenly it hit me: Plex wasn't picking up on DV because Plex was doing something that MrMC wasn't. It was transcoding the audio and repackaging the stream = bye bye DV. It hit me like a truck: I'd turned off Dolby Audio Processing because I don't need it for my headphones. But without it, Plex won't direct play the audio and leave the stream alone. With Dolby Audio back on, voilà, LLDV back instantly.