Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by djbuddha »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:55 am
djbuddha wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:53 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:38 am

Sorry, wish I knew more. Sucks that it's not working for you cause this is truly fun. :D sigh. This is what everyone was working towards. The effort has paid off and I can't say thank you enough to all the people who pushed it to this point. I am SO grateful for this solution and can't wait til players like Plex add official support for it. Then it'll truly be seamless...rip MKV, drop it on NAS, shows up in Plex like everything else. I'd also like for the SHIELD to get the red push problem fixed so we don't have to rely on the HD Fury to strip bt.2020. But for now, given that I'm near the end of Top Gun and it's played flawlessly, I am SUPER happy!
So here’s my question....

I have this old Mac running Plex and my storage is on that machine. I made the folders shared and connected it that way. Is running on a Mac server most likely the reason, or am I just SOL? :lol:
I don't think that's the reason. Although, to be fair, I'm running my UHD's on my shield 2015's server in the other room and not off my HTPC's plex server. I can try one off the HTPC's plex server in a minute as I'm at the end juke box scene of top gun. :D I'll let you know in a little bit.

See what happens when I respond while watching a movie. No it won't matter where the storage is if the SHIELD can see it. you mentioned plex and my mind went to plex servers. LOL But that's not in the picture right now.
Yeah, it’s a completely hardwired network. I put my new re-rip of the first Matrix to copy over to an SSD in an enclosure that I’m going to try exoplayer with- just went out for a long walk. The sample from a few pages ago triggers Dolby Vision, so here’s to hoping. I’ll be home shortly and will try again with this server situation & see if I did the rip correctly.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The Matrix UHD's aren't Dolby Vision are they?

EDIT: Oh crap it is. I missed that one in my collection. Guess I need to re-rip that one. Nice!
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:37 am
The Matrix UHD's aren't Dolby Vision are they?

EDIT: Oh crap it is. I missed that one in my collection. Guess I need to re-rip that one. Nice!
You better believe it!!! 8) (I type this as Morpheus says 'do you believe now Trinity??') :lol:

So I copied this rip to my SSD- still no luck with the network, but watching it off the SSD. In a word 'WOW'

I'm feeding my Optoma UHD51A projector an LLDV signal using a Vertex 2. I've watched this same sequence from the lobby gunfight all the way to the helicopter crash a million times off the disc and have never actually seen it in Dolby Vision .... UNTIL RIGHT NOW. (XBox One X .. and it's lack of Dolby Vision support for discs but support for games is dumb-founding).

The picture quality difference is staggering. And Atmos works, (running 7.2.4 here) and it stays in sync.

Shoutout to yusesope and Mike for making this happen. THIS is some seriously exciting stuff!

I can't believe how much better this looks, I'm actually in awe.

If I could only make SMB work properly :lol:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I just watched them a month ago on my HTPC tone mapped with madvr. Didn't think they were DV for some reason. So I guess I will need to rewatch them on the Shield after I rerip them. :) Oh darn. LOL Yes, getting SMB to work would be nice for you. Of course having the new speed control on my NS60's is nice for reripping these discs. The Matrix took 25 minutes. Working on the second one now.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

Last edited by Donpoku on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrbuie2k

Post by mrbuie2k »

Registered/Logged in just to say thanks to yusesope, shawnc22, and everyone else who contributed. Been watching this thread for a while and the instructions worked to a T.

Have been able to play 3 movies so far in DV and Atmos on a 2019 Tube in Kodi. Using mounted shares from a Win10 machine.

Got about 50 other movies I'll need to rerip, but no complaints here. Nice to have a "rip and run" process.

Thanks guys.
PanBear

Post by PanBear »

Firstly would like to say big thanks to Mike and others working on getting DV happening in mkv. Has anyone actually got the mkv's triggering DV via plex with the modded exoplayer?.. I've only had it triggering from kodi so far. I am ripping with the latest mkmkv and trying to dumping the rips onto my unraid server then playing via nvidia shield pro (2019)?
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Thank you to everyone involved in getting us kids our toys. They work. Just to confirm and possibly save someone further headache: on the Shield Pro 2019 using yusescope's modified exoplayer apk uploaded by shawn, you HAVE TO MOUNT YOUR NAS or use another kind of LOCAL STORAGE for it to work.

Then it all works just fine. LLDV through a Vertex2 for me, triggers and plays the profile 7 mkv generated by our favourite tool perfectly. Sadly I can't watch a whole movie yet because I get no sound, but that's an issue with my playback chain. I have to use headphones directly without a receiver, so 2-channel or DD transcode instead of bitstream. Have the same issue when playing the profile 4 files through Plex, nothing new. Any transcoding of the audio obviously loses DV. That should be gone once I get my receiver set up again and can bitstream. In the meantime, thank you all for the glorious image I can already see, and the ease with which I can produce it now. This is the fastest I've seen something go from toy to joy.

EDIT: scratch that. I found an older receiver in the basement that can do the essential bitstreams. 2001 has been playing for 45 minutes, I have audio and am in heaven. Like everyone else, I can't believe this is real.
zomorf

Post by zomorf »

Regarding 1.15.2, I have backed up some with Dual Video. I used makemkv 1.15.1 and mkvtoolnix to create these files. I think these would be similar to the DualLayer releases that are floating around.

Even these DualLayer MP4's would we be able to recreate from these?

Would 1.15.2 be able to create a working DV mkv?

Or best to just start from scratch? I'm guessing this would be the best option?

Edited to hopefully explain better :)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by zomorf on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lata
zomorf
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

Top work guys! I've mounted my Gdrive using SMB via Kodi and it's streaming perfectly with Dolby Vision and Atmos (Gdrive is mounted via rclone on a local PC). The yusesope exoplayer is actually is much faster skipping through a file compared to Plex as well.
Mortenjorstad

Post by Mortenjorstad »

Thank you for the exoplayer apk. IT workes fine on kodi. My question is there any settings in kodi to make exoplayer the default player.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mkvtoolix AFAIK hasn't been updated yet for the new mkv standard so if you edit one of the mkvs created by 1.15.2 I believe it'll lose the dv Metadata. Straight rips from makemkv for now until the tools have had a chance to get updated. It'll happen. Just takes time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ragico

Post by ragico »

Some updates:
In shield I have enabled dlna in kodi service settings and use Plex server as storage. It works as intented and no necessity anymore to mount my nas directly in shield.

I have also tried the same in Ugoos Am6 plus and got same results as in shield. DV works flawlessly but atmos is not triggered, This is at moment a Ugoos limit. I compared the colours from shield and from Ugoos on my Gz2000 and can say that I do not had the red push from Ugoos, maybe I am wrong and can be a placebo effect.

Mike, yusesope and shawnc22 you are fantastic guys.>Thank you again :D :D :D :D :D
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

Fantastic work guys! :mrgreen:

I briefly tested two videos from the vision demo disc.
TV, AVR and Shield 2019 Pro recognize everything correctly.
24 and 60fps works perfectly with truehd-atmos.
ImageImage

For 24hz, simply activate the refresh rate app for the Exoplayer APK.

Subtitles and DTS-HD will be tested by me soon... need more time :(

Nice to see that it is possible and even in the official mkv standard 8)

thanks again to everyone :D
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

ragico wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:56 pm
Some updates:
In shield I have enabled dlna in kodi service settings and use Plex server as storage. It works as intented and no necessity anymore to mount my nas directly in shield.

I have also tried the same in Ugoos Am6 plus and got same results as in shield. DV works flawlessly but atmos is not triggered, This is at moment a Ugoos limit. I compared the colours from shield and from Ugoos on my Gz2000 and can say that I do not had the red push from Ugoos, maybe I am wrong and can be a placebo effect.

Mike, yusesope and shawnc22 you are fantastic guys.>Thank you again :D :D :D :D :D
Which DV profiles does Ugoos Plus support?