Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ricardo436

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Post by ricardo436 »

I want to backup this title, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I have noticed that there are 6 files of the movie.
Would anyone know to which title/file is the correct one to do??? But I would like to know are any of them the extended version?
Cheers
Woodstock

Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Post by Woodstock »

If you're doing a backup, it doesn't matter - the backup copies ALL the files, and the menu structure handles getting you the correct ones during playback.

Or are you using Open, and creating MKV files?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jayper

Post by jayper »

The disc includes three versions of the film:

- Theatrical Version
- Special Edition
- Director's Cut

Each of the three versions can be viewed in a mode called "View From Above." This mode will show small icons on screen to help highlight the differences between each cut of the film. This results in 6 different titles being shown by MakeMKV.

You'll need to determine which version of the film you want and select accordingly. It's been way too long since I backed this one up and the disc is not easily accessible at the moment, so I can't check for you.

According to Wikipedia, the running times are as follows:

- 135 minutes (Theatrical Version)
- 132 minutes (Special Edition)
- 137 minutes (Director's Cut)

Hope that helps and is enough to get your on your way.
ricardo436

Post by ricardo436 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm
If you're doing a backup, it doesn't matter - the backup copies ALL the files, and the menu structure handles getting you the correct ones during playback.

Or are you using Open, and creating MKV files?
It does matter, because it'll take up a lot more space backing up all. As I said. I'm only interested in the extended version.
ricardo436

Post by ricardo436 »

jayper wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:16 pm
The disc includes three versions of the film:

- Theatrical Version
- Special Edition
- Director's Cut

Each of the three versions can be viewed in a mode called "View From Above." This mode will show small icons on screen to help highlight the differences between each cut of the film. This results in 6 different titles being shown by MakeMKV.

You'll need to determine which version of the film you want and select accordingly. It's been way too long since I backed this one up and the disc is not easily accessible at the moment, so I can't check for you.

According to Wikipedia, the running times are as follows:

- 135 minutes (Theatrical Version)
- 132 minutes (Special Edition)
- 137 minutes (Director's Cut)

Hope that helps and is enough to get your on your way.
Thanks, but I can access the disc with no problems. Only Midway it the hardest to do.