Sherlock Holmes 4K - Can't be decrypted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Monro3

Sherlock Holmes 4K - Can't be decrypted

Post by Monro3 »

Hello everyone,

I have ran into my first blu-ray that could not be decrypted.

I have followed the directions and sent off the log files to have the files worked on. I am creating this thread in case someone else has the same issue as myself and searching for answers/updates.
Woodstock

Re: Sherlock Holmes 4K - Can't be decrypted

Post by Woodstock »

Since others have decrypted it, have you verified that you are able to download the Hash Key file?

If you are using the current hash key file and MakeMKV still says it can't find a key, submit the generated .tgz file (location should be shown in your log) to svq@makemkv.com for analysis.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Monro3

Post by Monro3 »

Are you referring to manually downloading the Hash Key? This is the dump I get when trying to make a backup of the blu-ray:

Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\qwerty/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=xxx)
Backing up disc into folder "G:/Blu Ray Backups/Sherlock Holmes/SHERLOCK_HOLMES"
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\qwerty/.MakeMKV ...
DEBUG: Code 0 at @-Nuv]M)#h?#R!f1:121267293
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\qwerty/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v72_SHERLOCK_HOLMES_F3A6.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at =}skL2F4,=1<A\vX:29396069
DEBUG: Code 0 at .`|{4L@Zk<1M3]*7@|/:29404855
DEBUG: Code 0 at %b{53\6.>XM/XGrO~OCv:29396713
Backup failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, the automatic-as-needed download, which your log says failed.

You probably have to change your DNS settings to use one that doesn't censor domains. There is a lot of discussion about this in this topic, but the takeaway is that using Google's DNS at 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 is more likely to find fairuse.org than many local DNS servers.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Monro3

Post by Monro3 »

@Woodstock

Thank you for your help and unfortunately, I am still stuck. I recently received Goonies 4K and that title is having the same issues. I read through the link you provided, changed my DNS google (I was on cloudflare), removed my pihole from the equation and I continue to get errors. I gave the manual download of the sdf.bin a go and that did not work either. Lastly, I tried it on another computer with the same issues. At this point, is it a waiting game for me for an update?

Thank you for all your help and if you have any other last ditch efforts, I am all ears.

PS, I rent my movies and I am on a bit of time crunch to get them back. I will re-rent them if need be.
Monro3

Post by Monro3 »

OK! I found what was causing the blockage and everything is okay now.

Not unlike this other user's post, I had GEO IP blocking Russia and the moment I turned that off, everything worked. Thank you for your help solving this riddle Woodstock, much appreciated.