Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by phneutral »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:58 pm
Mr_Orange wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 am
agneva wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:59 am
I just thought about buying makemkv, now I am advised to spend my money on DVDFab :roll:
that's a shame, i like makemkv :P

so there is no easy way from makemkv (with DV) to convert in a mp4 DV for LG :oops:

then it is probably cheaper to buy a LG Bluray player and to rebuy my Samsung..
Buy an Nvidia Shield TV. That will play your MKVs. Plex supports Dolby Vision. I'm sure Emby and Kodi will be there soon too.
He will get a better quality picture playing back on his LG than on the shield, LG C7, C8 and C9 support dual track mp4 also.
How so?

I've watched several DV MKV titles streaming from Plex via Shield Pro on my LG B7 and I'm blown away by the picture quality, but you're saying it could be even better with a different player? What other players support DV and TrueHD ATMOS?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

phneutral wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:31 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 am

Buy an Nvidia Shield TV. That will play your MKVs. Plex supports Dolby Vision. I'm sure Emby and Kodi will be there soon too.
He will get a better quality picture playing back on his LG than on the shield, LG C7, C8 and C9 support dual track mp4 also.
How so?

I've watched several DV MKV titles streaming from Plex via Shield Pro on my LG B7 and I'm blown away by the picture quality, but you're saying it could be even better with a different player? What other players support DV and TrueHD ATMOS?
The Shield is outputting over saturated colours and Is pushing red, Get an Oppo clone or Sony x700, then you will see Dolby Vision vividly and naturally - I’m not sure if the Android players will master the colour space issues tbh.
mario_O

Post by mario_O »

I tested my Sony X900f TV using PLEX, and only 'P5 Dolby Vision' plays correctly with MKV. The rest (P4,P7's and P8) will play but with color artifacts. Oh well. In any case, PLEX was really disappointing. Can't really stream a 4K Blu Ray rip movie without constant buffering (on a Gigabyte fiber connection).
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

Fire stick seems to be working well for me. It’s not as good as x700 or oppo clone, but it will play mkvs. It’s a lot closer to the right colours than the shield.

The biggest downside is lack of atmos and no FEL. But the FEL to MEL script seems to be working well for me, and as I don’t need atmos right now, sticking in 7.1 lpcm is simple enough too - it’s arguably still lossless :wink:

Hopefully something that can do everything comes soon :)
agneva

Post by agneva »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 pm
No, you will need to use ffmpeg & Dolby muxer via command line.

It isn’t hard once you get used to it.
Can I get a step by step instruction please ?

I got the *.mkv from makemkv including the DV.
Now I want to convert the *.mkv into *.mp4 for LG.

I have no *.iso.

command line is no problem, I often use eac3to.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

agneva wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:26 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 pm
No, you will need to use ffmpeg & Dolby muxer via command line.

It isn’t hard once you get used to it.
Can I get a step by step instruction please ?

I got the *.mkv from makemkv including the DV.
Now I want to convert the *.mkv into *.mp4 for LG.

I have no *.iso.

command line is no problem, I often use eac3to.
Hi, I already posted a link to it, you really need ISO or BDMV, mkv is taking you in the wrongndirection for mp4.
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:23 pm
phneutral wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:31 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:

How so?

The Shield is outputting over saturated colours and Is pushing red, Get an Oppo clone or Sony x700, then you will see Dolby Vision vividly and naturally - I’m not sure if the Android players will master the colour space issues tbh.
Source?

Edit: nvm googled it, I see it's a known issue. Tbh I had never noticed it. Every day's a school day!
agneva

Post by agneva »

today I tried "DVDFab UHD Ripper" (Demo).
I chose mp4 with DV, I think it has made a DV *.mp4:
matrix revo dv info.png
matrix revo dv info.png (53.54 KiB) Viewed 19745 times
but my LG TV says "HDR10" - no DV !?

What have I done wrong ?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

agneva wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm
today I tried "DVDFab UHD Ripper" (Demo).
I chose mp4 with DV, I think it has made a DV *.mp4:
matrix revo dv info.png

but my LG TV says "HDR10" - no DV !?

What have I done wrong ?
You have made a dual track mp4, what LG tv do you have?
I believe the CX no longer supports dual track so you need to choose single track as output (spanner icon when you have loaded a file) here you can also change subs and audio output.
agneva

Post by agneva »

I have the 77CX9LA :shock:
the other option was "mobile with dolby vision", I took "theather" in DVD Fab.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

agneva wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 pm
I have the 77CX9LA :shock:
the other option was "mobile with dolby vision", I took "theather" in DVD Fab.
Hi This isn't the Fab support room, also you are using a demo, probably the new version, this is how it should look in version 11, you choose the profile, select the spanner and choose single track, you may need to adapt.

P.S. Choose copy video, you don't wan to transcode, or do you?
fab.png
fab.png (279.31 KiB) Viewed 19708 times
longseason

Post by longseason »

So I think I've got my head round most of this stuff, but I'm looking for a reliable conversion process to produce a DV MP4 (not fussed about TrueHD/Atmos).

I've got MakeMKV 1.15.3 to create an MKV with DV BL+EL+RPU data, so I just want to lower the video bitrate from the source but retain the DV data.

Because MakeMKV combines this all into the MKV, am I better using MakeMKV to just do a disc backup and then using ffmpeg on that source? ffmpeg/x265 seem to want binary HEVC streams for the DV data when encoding which I assume I can't extract from the MKV, or can I just mux these in later?

I only have access to Linux CLI for all this (makemkvcon/ffmpeg) so ideally just want a combination of files/ISOs and command line options.
archer

Post by archer »

tatazildo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:48 pm
I'd just like to report my experience with a Shield 2019, MakeMKV 1.15.3 and Plex 8.8.0 (general release). I had MKVs made out of M2TS files (from the BDMV folder structure), that both originally and in MKV had dual track Dolby Vision. These obviously don't work.
  • MakeMKVing these to a new MKV also did not work. In fact it removed the second video track but did not combine it to one, DV-compatible track.
  • Directly converting the original M2TS (also dual track DV, found in BDMV/STREAM) also did not work. Same result as above.
  • Re-mounting an ISO from the BDMV + CERTIFICATE folder structure and passing the ISO through MakeMKV produced perfect single-track, DV-compatible, Plex 8.8.0-friendly MKV files.
There's the famous "red push"/"incorrect colors" issue on DV with the Shield... but I'm a happy man for now. Thanks, mike.
Plex 8.8.0 was available to update on your Shield? It's still listed as 8.7 on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US
tatazildo

Post by tatazildo »

archer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm
tatazildo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:48 pm
I'd just like to report my experience with a Shield 2019, MakeMKV 1.15.3 and Plex 8.8.0 (general release). I had MKVs made out of M2TS files (from the BDMV folder structure), that both originally and in MKV had dual track Dolby Vision. These obviously don't work.
  • MakeMKVing these to a new MKV also did not work. In fact it removed the second video track but did not combine it to one, DV-compatible track.
  • Directly converting the original M2TS (also dual track DV, found in BDMV/STREAM) also did not work. Same result as above.
  • Re-mounting an ISO from the BDMV + CERTIFICATE folder structure and passing the ISO through MakeMKV produced perfect single-track, DV-compatible, Plex 8.8.0-friendly MKV files.
There's the famous "red push"/"incorrect colors" issue on DV with the Shield... but I'm a happy man for now. Thanks, mike.
Plex 8.8.0 was available to update on your Shield? It's still listed as 8.7 on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-for-android/29115/362 - it's a staged rollout, as they said. I downloaded the APK and installed it myself.
bdub46

Post by bdub46 »

Hi,

New to the boards, But i also have plex version 8.8 already installed on the shield.

Bdub46