[SOLVED] Unable to decrypt Psycho 60th Anniversary 4K disc

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shreddjms

[SOLVED] Unable to decrypt Psycho 60th Anniversary 4K disc

Post by shreddjms »

I recently picked up the Psycho 60th Anniversary 4K/BD steelbook combo pack, and was able to rip the Blu-ray disc, but the 4K disc fails during the decryption phase. I noticed that this disc is using AACS v72.

I downloaded a key database and saved as KEYDB.cfg in my makemkv data directory, and the SHA1SUM hash for PSYCHO1960_UPK75/AACS/Unit_Key_RO.inf matches the hash for that disc in the key database, but MakeMKV is still unable to decrypt the disc.

I couldn't determine for sure if makemkv read the keydb file. I restarted MakeMKV after saving the file, but I didn't see an open() call on that file when I ran makemkv through strace.

I did send an AACS dump off to svq@makemkv.com.

Just trying to determine if I'm doing something wrong, or if anyone else has had problems ripping this particular disc. I've been able to rip other 4K discs without any issues so far.

Thank you

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
MakeMKV 1.15.2
ASUS BW-16D1HT, 3.00 firmware
Last edited by shreddjms on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
shreddjms

Re: Unable to decrypt Psycho 60th Anniversary 4K disc

Post by shreddjms »

To add to this, MakeMKV is reporting that a LibreDrive enabled drive is required to open this disc, however my drive is LibreDrive enabled, as far as I know, and I've successfully ripped several other 4K discs with it.

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.00
Serial number: KL9K2RD3749
Firmware date: 2115-11-03 11:10
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: PSYCHO1960_UPK75
Timestamp: 2020-07-08 10:55:03
Data capacity: 91.23 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Sounds possibly like Makemkv can’t download the hashed keys database possibly because of a firewall.
Do you have a file called private_data.tar in your .Makemkv folder?

try putting the file i've attached into the data directory and try ripping again.
Last edited by Trickyd-1 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
shreddjms

Post by shreddjms »

Thank you for sending that info. I backed up my original tar file, swapped yours in, restarted makemkv, and was able to rip the 4K disc successfully.

I'll have to see how much of a pain it would be to merge those two sets of data together.

Also, do you know where makemkv is trying to pull the hashed key database from? I can check from this end if I have reachability to that site.

Thank you
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

At a shell prompt, type:

Code: Select all

host hkdata.fairuse.org
Do you get an IP back? Some DNS servers will not resolve any host in the domain fairuse.org. Cloudflare at 1.1.1.1, for example, returns nothing, but both Google DNS IPs 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 resolve it just fine. What your local DNS server gets depends on the "chain" used by the servers in your /etc/resolv.conf file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

shreddjms wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:14 pm
Thank you for sending that info. I backed up my original tar file, swapped yours in, restarted makemkv, and was able to rip the 4K disc successfully.

I'll have to see how much of a pain it would be to merge those two sets of data together.

Also, do you know where makemkv is trying to pull the hashed key database from? I can check from this end if I have reachability to that site.

Thank you
No problem. I don't think there's any point in merging the data as the file I sent was the latest updated hashed keys file and should already contain everything that was in your previous file.
Once you resolve the issue with your Makemkv downloading the hashed keys it will automatically replace the _Private_data.tar file with the most up-to-date version.
shreddjms

Post by shreddjms »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm
At a shell prompt, type:

Code: Select all

host hkdata.fairuse.org
Do you get an IP back? Some DNS servers will not resolve any host in the domain fairuse.org. Cloudflare at 1.1.1.1, for example, returns nothing, but both Google DNS IPs 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 resolve it just fine. What your local DNS server gets depends on the "chain" used by the servers in your /etc/resolv.conf file.
My ISP's name servers do resolve this name. I'll set up a packet capture probably tomorrow to see if I can determine what's going on.

Thank you
shreddjms

Post by shreddjms »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 pm
shreddjms wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Thank you
No problem. I don't think there's any point in merging the data as the file I sent was the latest updated hashed keys file and should already contain everything that was in your previous file.
Once you resolve the issue with your Makemkv downloading the hashed keys it will automatically replace the _Private_data.tar file with the most up-to-date version.
Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure, because my original tar file was substantially larger than the one you posted (original was about 10 MB, and the new one is under 300 kB).

I'll run with this one for a while and see how it does - I have some more discs to rip.

Thank you
shreddjms

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to decrypt Psycho 60th Anniversary 4K disc

Post by shreddjms »

While troubleshooting another 4K rip failure (Alien 40th Anniversary Edition), I found that makemkv was having issues writing to its data directory. Permissions on the directory appeared to be correct, and makemkv was running as the correct user. I didn't see any reason why makemkv wouldn't be able to write to that directory.

When I originally installed makemkv under Ubuntu, it was done using a snap package. On a hunch, I deleted the snap installation and re-installed it from a PPA repository (see: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... d-blurays/), re-applied my license key (well worth the money!), and the 4K discs decrypted and ripped with no issues. I could see in the debug logs that makemkv was able to pull down the hashed keys for that disc. I also noticed that many of the startup errors that I saw when I ran the snap package (unable to directly access the optical drives, etc) also went away.

Thank you
jms
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Glad you got it sussed.
shreddjms

Post by shreddjms »

This also solved an issue with ripping DVDs where ccextractor would fail to launch for some unknown reason. Ripping DVD titles with closed captions now seems to works correctly, in that ccextractor no longer causes the rip of the title to fail. I haven't checked if the captions come through, but that's not something I'm too worried about.