Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Post Reply
Trasper
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by Trasper » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Anybody else have a problem with "light leak" on Saving Private Ryan, or other UHD movies?

I've ripped 3 or 4 different Saving Private Ryan UHD's, same result.
"Light leak" on all. It usually start to show in the beach assault, around when Hanks and crew has reached the end of the beach, below the bunkers.

Screenshot attached.

I thought I bad a faulty disc, but I've tried both American and European discs, is it a production fail? A bad batch?

Have ripped 100+ UHD's, and this is the only film with the problem.

Any experiences with Saving Private Ryan UHD, good or bad?

Thanks!
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2020-10-18 kl. 08.52.57.jpg
Skjermbilde 2020-10-18 kl. 08.52.57.jpg (774.12 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

WAYFLIX
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by WAYFLIX » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Wouldn't that be an "issue" with the filming/mastering and not the physical disc?
Last edited by WAYFLIX on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbymkV
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by bobbymkV » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Creative intent.

kweenie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by kweenie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:59 pm

Yes, that is a stylistic choice, creative intent.

Trasper
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by Trasper » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

If it's "creative intent", why isn't it on the dvd or blu-ray release?
And it appear at slightly different times and patterns on the different disc's I've tried.

The attached screenshot wasn't the best, the light is more prominent later on.

It wasn't on the first Saving Private Ryan UHD I bought, but unfortunately I lost the back-up, and someone borrowed the UHD and I never got it back, claiming they lost it.

So everyone else's versions/back-ups are fine?

Trickyd-1
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am
Location: UK

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by Trickyd-1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:51 pm

I got mine on release day and it's the same. Definitely optical, cant be different from disc to disc. Maybe the negatives got damaged between the 2k/4k scans???
spr.jpg
spr.jpg (538.35 KiB) Viewed 934 times

bobbymkV
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by bobbymkV » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Trasper wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm
Thanks for the replies.

If it's "creative intent", why isn't it on the dvd or blu-ray release?
Because it was. The effects used during the Omaha Beach scene were in all formats. If you want to debate it there are probably plenty of people at blu-ray.com who would be willing to.

st4evr
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by st4evr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Trasper wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm
Thanks for the replies.

If it's "creative intent", why isn't it on the dvd or blu-ray release?
And it appear at slightly different times and patterns on the different disc's I've tried.

The attached screenshot wasn't the best, the light is more prominent later on.

It wasn't on the first Saving Private Ryan UHD I bought, but unfortunately I lost the back-up, and someone borrowed the UHD and I never got it back, claiming they lost it.

So everyone else's versions/back-ups are fine?
You are trying to troubleshoot and/or blame MakeMKV for something it’s impossible for that application to do; re-encode/transcode/remaster media content. It simply does not have any capabilities for any of that. It does not work that way.

That comes from the studio/film/DI used for that particular release. Be it a problem with the release or intended. As advised by another forum member, at this point this conversation is best continued in a forum like BD dot Com as there are thousands of individuals discussing such content there in this manner/detail.

shawnc22
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by shawnc22 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 pm

are you playing this in dolby vision and the nvidia shield? if so, there’s a known issue that this movie will flicker throughout. not sure if that’s what you’re referring to, but it’s well documented in the other threads.

longseason
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by longseason » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Out of interest do you also this banding on the bunker and helmet insignia? It changes as characters move across the banding areas as well, it's surprisingly distracting. This is from about 00:23:00 onwards.

I don't have a UHD Blu Ray player so can't test whether this is just from a MakeMKV 1.15.3 rip.
Attachments
spr.jpg
spr.jpg (757.75 KiB) Viewed 788 times

preserve
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by preserve » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:03 pm

longseason wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm
I don't have a UHD Blu Ray player so can't test whether this is just from a MakeMKV 1.15.3 rip.
Read this again:
st4evr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm
You are trying to troubleshoot and/or blame MakeMKV for something it’s impossible for that application to do; re-encode/transcode/remaster media content. It simply does not have any capabilities for any of that. It does not work that way.
MakeMKV does not change the video stream, it copies it exactly off the disc.

July 2018 (re: UHD)
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st15265574
"That's always been there. Always. It's a streaking effect caused by throwing the camera's transport mechanism slightly out of sync with the camera shutter, smearing the light onto the negative. And people have mentioned it repeatedly in this thread, along with all those folks back in the day who complained to the TV station that their broadcast was messed up. Always. Been. There."

February 2002
https://everything2.com/title/Saving+Private+Ryan
"But Spielberg does introduce new elements into the equation, chief among them a narrow shutter angle that makes the action move in a heightened and jerky yet decidedly unrealistic way and light leaks which stain the image with shining vertical spikes."
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

longseason
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by longseason » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that this was anything to do with MakeMKV (it's obvious that it's not), just that the only way in which I'd viewed the video was as the result of a MakeMKV export (so as to confirm that I hadn't seen it from a Blu Ray player before anyone asked).

Mostly I was just curious if others had seen the same thing in the same scene.

I'm wondering if these artifacts are corrected for somehow or at least aren't noticeable when running under Dolby Vision - that's an ongoing investigation on my side.

Trasper
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by Trasper » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 am

bobbymkV wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 pm
Trasper wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm
Thanks for the replies.

If it's "creative intent", why isn't it on the dvd or blu-ray release?
Because it was. The effects used during the Omaha Beach scene were in all formats. If you want to debate it there are probably plenty of people at blu-ray.com who would be willing to.
I watched my Blu-Ray version again, and couldn't notice see any "light leaks" this time either
st4evr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm
Trasper wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm
Thanks for the replies.

If it's "creative intent", why isn't it on the dvd or blu-ray release?
And it appear at slightly different times and patterns on the different disc's I've tried.

The attached screenshot wasn't the best, the light is more prominent later on.

It wasn't on the first Saving Private Ryan UHD I bought, but unfortunately I lost the back-up, and someone borrowed the UHD and I never got it back, claiming they lost it.

So everyone else's versions/back-ups are fine?
You are trying to troubleshoot and/or blame MakeMKV for something it’s impossible for that application to do; re-encode/transcode/remaster media content. It simply does not have any capabilities for any of that. It does not work that way.

That comes from the studio/film/DI used for that particular release. Be it a problem with the release or intended. As advised by another forum member, at this point this conversation is best continued in a forum like BD dot Com as there are thousands of individuals discussing such content there in this manner/detail.
.

Not trying to blame anyone, just wondered if was a common issue.
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 pm
are you playing this in dolby vision and the nvidia shield? if so, there’s a known issue that this movie will flicker throughout. not sure if that’s what you’re referring to, but it’s well documented in the other threads.
No, I'm using iina.

longseason wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm
Out of interest do you also this banding on the bunker and helmet insignia? It changes as characters move across the banding areas as well, it's surprisingly distracting. This is from about 00:23:00 onwards.

I don't have a UHD Blu Ray player so can't test whether this is just from a MakeMKV 1.15.3 rip.
Yes, I have. In that scene and others during the movie.

I read forum posts on the issue, and if it's the same issue we're talking about, it seems, like others have mentioned here, it has always been there.

Since it's been the same on the three latest UHD's I've tried, I might be wrong, but I find it strange if it's creative intent.
It wasn't on my dvd or blu-ray and not on the first UHD I got. Neither on the tv version I watched a few days ago.
To me it looks like it's something wrong with the disc.
Don't look as flares or creative light, it's vertical stripes.
It looks like the damage you would get on a filmstrip back in the day if someone turned on the light or opened the door in the darkroom, or the look old photos get after been hanging on a wall for a long time, exposed to sunlight.

I guess it could be a bad batch when producing the UHD's.
Same as with cars and other products, most come out fine, then you get a bad batch. Happens from time to time that products get recalled, and it's often for a specific production series, produced between two specific dates, or specific serial numbers.
Can probably happen with UHD's too. Most turn out great, but we also get some bad ones.

Is it possible we're not talking about the same thing?

The, in lack of a better word,"light leak" I'm talking about is irritating. Some places it's just a little light on the bottom or top of the screen. Other times it's large vertical stripes of light from top to bottom of the screen, and sometimes several at one time, some impossible to see trough.

For me the problem is there, so I'll stick to the blu-ray. (just frustrating to know that in theory there's a better version out there). Maybe I'll try another UHD later on.

To all, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.
I got the answer I was asking for.

Thanks!

longseason
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by longseason » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am

So I've had a bit of a dig, and this (rather anecdotal) comment came up on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/co ... vate_ryan/
Are you referring the the seemingly over exposed vertical stripes throughout the film? If so, this is intentional. It was done to emulate the look from damaged cameras used in filming WW2. These damaged cameras would expose the film cell while still moving vertically.
I wasn't sure if this was just an over-extended interpretation of some of the infamous processes Spielberg went through (particularly during the Normandy landing scene) to capture the realism of the moment, but there's a lot of talk on the net about him trying to capture the look of Robert Capa's negatives from the time which featured similar over-exposure type effects.

But the Cineflix "Art of the Scene" minidoc, whilst not explicitly talking about the banding, does clearly show it happening by featuring the same scene 8 minutes into the doc (and I doubt they would've taken their footage from the UHD): https://youtu.be/z7M8iGQOjMI?t=480

bobbymkV
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: Saving Private Ryan "light leak"

Post by bobbymkV » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Getting into trolling territory here as it's something that is 100% on all released viewings/formats. Theatre, DVD, Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray. Here is a screenshot from an HDTV capture that was posted online. Below it is a capture of the regular blu-ray. Lock thread please. :)

Image
Image

Post Reply