Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Trickyd-1
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am
Location: UK

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Trickyd-1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:37 pm

Yeah. If there are any corruption issues then the job fails.

rere130
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by rere130 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 am

Same think for me and my Asus BW-16D1HT with LG WH16NS60 1.00 firmware (or Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK).

I managed to burn the uhd of the first episode but not the other two.
Windows 10 doesn't automatically recognize the drive, so I don't think that's a problem with MakeMKV ...
I have to remove it and put it back several times for Windows to detect it.
Once OK, I run MakeMKV, it recognizes the disk, but once I run the backup it gets stuck on AACS / ContentHash002.tbl

No dump is created suddenly ...

Image Image Image Image

So without my backup I have no way to watch the movies since I don't have an official UHD player :(

Help :(

Trickyd-1
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am
Location: UK

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Trickyd-1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

rere130 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 am
Same think for me and my Asus BW-16D1HT with LG WH16NS60 1.00 firmware (or Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK).

I managed to burn the uhd of the first episode but not the other two.
Windows 10 doesn't automatically recognize the drive, so I don't think that's a problem with MakeMKV ...
I have to remove it and put it back several times for Windows to detect it.
Once OK, I run MakeMKV, it recognizes the disk, but once I run the backup it gets stuck on AACS / ContentHash002.tbl

No dump is created suddenly ...

Image Image Image Image

So without my backup I have no way to watch the movies since I don't have an official UHD player :(

Help :(
Just for those two discs try an official UHD drive firmware like BH16NS60 1.02 with no speed control set.

rere130
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by rere130 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm
rere130 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 am
Same think for me and my Asus BW-16D1HT with LG WH16NS60 1.00 firmware (or Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK).

I managed to burn the uhd of the first episode but not the other two.
Windows 10 doesn't automatically recognize the drive, so I don't think that's a problem with MakeMKV ...
I have to remove it and put it back several times for Windows to detect it.
Once OK, I run MakeMKV, it recognizes the disk, but once I run the backup it gets stuck on AACS / ContentHash002.tbl

No dump is created suddenly ...

Image Image Image Image

So without my backup I have no way to watch the movies since I don't have an official UHD player :(

Help :(
Just for those two discs try an official UHD drive firmware like BH16NS60 1.02 with no speed control set.
Thanks for your answer ! Where can I find this firmware ?
I have this pack : (Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack (15.04.2020)
an I don't see this version.
In MK folder :
- HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS60-1.00-NM00500-211804030945
- HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.01-NM00100-211711202000
- HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936
- DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00

This is one of them ?

I had already struggled in July when I received the reader ...
=> viewtopic.php?t=18933&start=615


[EDIT :]
I try with this one : HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936
My disc is recognise directly by Windows !
Backup in progress !

Big thanks for your advice !
I remember that this firmware worked on MakeMKV but not Dvdfab (I prefer .iso files, and MakeMkv don't do that), that's why I went back to version 1.00...


[EDIT 2:]
false joy, it worked for episode 2, but for episode 3 I'm stuck while copying again ... :(
I shut down computer, restart, clean the disc with microfiber and... works, but with one error :

Image

I suppose I need special product for cleaning UD... ^^

Trickyd-1
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am
Location: UK

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Trickyd-1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:28 am

Glad you got at least one disc working although I’m not sure if the read error is due to that skipped dummy file which should be ok and is not down to a dirty disc.

I tend to use Makemkv for everything but if I do need to use passkey I just flash a friendly drive firmware back onto my drive.

I use dish soap (fairy liquid) warm water and a sponge then a thorough rinse to clean my discs as I find alcohol just smears the greasy layer around rather than dissolving and removing it.

I have noticed recently that a few discs just will not be recognised in my drive while running friendly drive firmware yet they work fine with official so I wonder if the manufacturers have employed some sneaky method on certain discs to break compatibility with none official drives.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 am

Try rolling back to MakeMKV v1.15.2 or 1.15.1 and see if that makes a difference.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

Fearless Leader
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Fearless Leader » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 am

Rolling back to 15.2 helped me actually read Btff 1. However, it still had some issues. For example, it ran into some errors and the DEBUGs showed that a "workaround" was deployed. At the very end, it said the file didn't match a checksum but the.mkv still finished.

However, when I tried the disk again, this time trying to do a full backup, it completely failed.

Bttf 2 and 3 ripped without a problem though (no errors or workaround messages at all).

Where can 15.1 be found? I don't see it in my download directory anymore, which is where I found 15.2 for downgrading.

preserve
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by preserve » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:37 am

Fearless Leader wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 am
Where can 15.1 be found? I don't see it in my download directory anymore, which is where I found 15.2 for downgrading.
http://makemkv.com/download/old/

No issues seeing the discs on my ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00. Just submitted dumps for Canada Best Buy Steelbook versions.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

Fearless Leader
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Fearless Leader » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:42 am

thanks! I actually saw the answer in the FAQ just before I read your response.

Shame on me for not looking harder before posting. I'll give it a try and see if Bttf 1 goes any better.

UPDATE: Yeesh. 15.1 showed the "workaround" debugs, but ultimately failed at the end of the rip. 15.2 is so far the only one that produced a playable rip for me, and even that one showed a lot of "workaround" debugs. I might try some of the registry tweaks, as I wonder if this happens at a certain point on the disc and requires a different speed.

kurayamino
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:32 am

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by kurayamino » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 am

This isn't a firmware or drive problem. There is a thin film on the bottom of the discs left over from the manufacturing process which causes these read errors. I put some 99% isopropyl alcohol on soft toilet paper and carefully but firmly wiped across the bottom of the discs. After the alcohol evaporated I wiped them down again using a microfiber cloth to remove any residue from the alcohol.

All three discs worked perfectly afterwards.

Metallikahn
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Metallikahn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Is ANYBODY else having issues with Part 3?
I've tried just about everything I can think of and I absolutely cant get it to rip past a certain point in the 00294.m2ts file. 2 different machines, different firmwares/OS's, different software versions, cleaned disc, exchanged disc. Nothing works. It always errors out. Here's a break down of my equipment and then a list of what I've tried so far.

Sys1: Windows 10 Pro x64 latest update. LG WH16NS40 F/W1.00
Sys2: UnRAID Linux x64 running in a docker. LG WH16NS40 F/W 1.02

What I've tried:
1.) Cleaning disc with 99% iso and microfiber (zero marks!)
2.) Ripping Main movie on Sys1 with 1.15.3, 1.15.2, 1.15.0
3.) Disc Backup on Sys1 with 1.15.3, 1.15.2, 1.15.0
4.) Copy files off from disc directly to SSD on Sys1 using Windows File Explorer (as best as I can tell, it failed at the same point in the transfer)
5.) Ripping Main movie on Sys2 with jlesage Makemkv 1.15.3 (fails to open... something something in the docker causing issues)
6.) Disc Backup on Sys2 with jlesage Makemkv 1.15.3
7.) Ripping Main movie on Sys2 with Binhex Makemkv 1.15.3
8.) Disc Backup on Sys2 with Binhex Makemkv 1.15.3
9.) Returned set to Target and exchange for a new set.
10.) Back to 1 and repeat.

So far every single attempt fails at approx 28 minutes into ripping or transferring the main movie file, 00294.m2ts

I'm guessing this is occurring at a layer change, but am clueless as to why it's happening on both drives, 2 completely different copies of the disc and not on any of the other discs in the set.

Anybody got any other ideas?

edit:
Just to try it, I updated the firmware on my windows system LG drive to 1.05MK (It was just barely new enough for that to work! lol)
Guess what? Literally Failed at the exact same spot again! grrrr....

dcoke22
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by dcoke22 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 pm

@Metallikahn Other folks in this thread have talked about either removing the unlimited speed control setting or setting the speed control to relatively low. That might be worth trying.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=22689

Trickyd-1
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am
Location: UK

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by Trickyd-1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:12 am

Metallikahn wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm
Is ANYBODY else having issues with Part 3?
I've tried just about everything I can think of and I absolutely cant get it to rip past a certain point in the 00294.m2ts file. 2 different machines, different firmwares/OS's, different software versions, cleaned disc, exchanged disc. Nothing works. It always errors out. Here's a break down of my equipment and then a list of what I've tried so far.

Sys1: Windows 10 Pro x64 latest update. LG WH16NS40 F/W1.00
Sys2: UnRAID Linux x64 running in a docker. LG WH16NS40 F/W 1.02

What I've tried:
1.) Cleaning disc with 99% iso and microfiber (zero marks!)
2.) Ripping Main movie on Sys1 with 1.15.3, 1.15.2, 1.15.0
3.) Disc Backup on Sys1 with 1.15.3, 1.15.2, 1.15.0
4.) Copy files off from disc directly to SSD on Sys1 using Windows File Explorer (as best as I can tell, it failed at the same point in the transfer)
5.) Ripping Main movie on Sys2 with jlesage Makemkv 1.15.3 (fails to open... something something in the docker causing issues)
6.) Disc Backup on Sys2 with jlesage Makemkv 1.15.3
7.) Ripping Main movie on Sys2 with Binhex Makemkv 1.15.3
8.) Disc Backup on Sys2 with Binhex Makemkv 1.15.3
9.) Returned set to Target and exchange for a new set.
10.) Back to 1 and repeat.

So far every single attempt fails at approx 28 minutes into ripping or transferring the main movie file, 00294.m2ts

I'm guessing this is occurring at a layer change, but am clueless as to why it's happening on both drives, 2 completely different copies of the disc and not on any of the other discs in the set.

Anybody got any other ideas?

edit:
Just to try it, I updated the firmware on my windows system LG drive to 1.05MK (It was just barely new enough for that to work! lol)
Guess what? Literally Failed at the exact same spot again! grrrr....
The only firmware that worked on that disc for me was BH16NS60-1.02 MK. from the 2020-07-20 MK firmware pack with all speed control off. I didn't try it in my Asus drive, just my LG BH16NS55. I also did a full backup first and then used Makemkv to create an MKV file from it. I was using v1.15.3.

preserve
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by preserve » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Metallikahn wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm
Is ANYBODY else having issues with Part 3?
After submitted dumps were quickly updated, I had no issues with the set on my ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

SamuriHL
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm

The quality of these discs SUCK! It took me 5 tries to get a successful rip of disc 1 on one of my NS60 1.00 drives. My other 2 drives (my original NS60 and an ASUS BW16D-1HT flashed to NS60 1.00) couldn't even see the disc much less read it. This is happening more and more lately. I had to use dawn soap to wash this one and then lock the drive to 2x with speed control to finally get a decent rip from it.

Post Reply