Disc just won’t open or recognize

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
recordplay

Disc just won’t open or recognize

Post by recordplay »

So I got serenity UHD and the computer recognizes it just fine but when I open makemkv to do a backup the software just hangs and doesn’t want open the disc and my drive just spins. This the second Universal disc that have had the problem other then Disney which I always have problems with those. I have cleaned the the disc thoroughly but that still didn’t work. What other solution should I try? I’m on makemkv 1.15.3
ricardo436

Re: Disc just won’t open or recognize

Post by ricardo436 »

Just read your question. Switch off the computer completely. Then wait 4 hours or more and try again. That should help.
If the problem happens again for the next disc, then do the same again. Cleaning, etc won't do anything.

(You do have a Blu-ray friendly driver?)
dcoke22

Re: Disc just won’t open or recognize

Post by dcoke22 »

I assume you still have the Asus BW-16D1HT 3.00 you mentioned when you were having trouble with Get Out. I also see in your posts about Ralph Breaks The Internet, that Billycar11 concluded that your drive was starting to fail:
an asus drive slowing down at the midway point at the layer switch on bd-66 is a very common problem and indicates a bad drive
As unfortunate as it seems, if you get a new drive that gives you almost no trouble, the savings in time and frustration will likely be greater than the money spent. Consider buying a drive from a place with a generous return policy, so you can return it if the new drive also gives you trouble.

I've seen knowledgeable folks on this forum recommend the LG BU40N, UHD Official Internal Slim Sata 9.5mm as being highly reliable. If you don't want to mess with flashing the firmware yourself, one of the folks mentioned on the UHD drive sticky thread (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634) will sell you a flashed and tested drive.