Shape of Water Failure

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rwzmjl

Shape of Water Failure

Post by rwzmjl »

I lost my old rip of Shape of Water, so I got out the disc to re-rip. Do everything like normal, but for some reason, after about 15 minutes, I got “Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed.” Tried it again, same problem. I’ve never had this happened before, but since updating to 1.15.3 from 1.15.1, I’ve had it happen twice (can’t remember what the other disc was that had this problem, but it was definitely UHD also). Anyone know what’s going on? I also tried cleaning smudges off of the disc, but that didn’t help (it was pretty clean already).
preserve

Re: Shape of Water Failure

Post by preserve »

Can you post the log? There were no error messages?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
rwzmjl

Post by rwzmjl »

Don’t think there was any error message, just that the rip failed. Just tried ripping Grease UHD and had the same problem. Then ripped The Lion King (original) UHD and it went fine. Very odd. I’ll post a log as soon as it happens ago with another movie.
rwzmjl

Post by rwzmjl »

Just had the same thing happen with Beauty and the Best (animation) UHD. I attached the log. Anyone know what the problem is? It seems very random.
Attachments
Beauty and the Beast failure.txt
(53.13 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
preserve

Post by preserve »

From the log:
'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00072.m2ts' at offset '18346672128'
From the FAQ:

MakeMKV reports MEDIUM ERROR or "corrupt or invalid at offset" errors while ripping.
This means that MakeMKV cannot physically read the medium (the UHD disc). This is usually due to either the disc not being perfectly clean (check your disc thoroughly from different angles under a bright light and carefully use a soft dry microfiber cloth to clean it) or it could be due to a defective disc, which can happen with all disc-based formats. Read more on this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055
rwzmjl

Post by rwzmjl »

Is there a reason why this is happening for me with only UHD discs? I’ve ripped hundreds of regular blu-rays and have never encountered this problem. And with Beauty and the Beast, I hadn’t even taken the disc out of the case before... thanks for your help btw
preserve

Post by preserve »

It seems to be worse in some recent cases, where the UHD manufacturing process is resulting in discs, new straight out of the package, that may need to be cleaned. See one of the recent Back to the Future threads for more on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23468&start=30