Exhausted....Black Hawk Down

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bnormal1

Exhausted....Black Hawk Down

Post by bnormal1 »

I've read a few posts here regarding the trouble some of had trying to rip this 4k disc. Count me in, however, I was able to rip this disc choosing the DTS-HD audio. The Atmos (TrueHD 7.1)...nope.

I've cleaned this disc numerous times. Pulled the 2 LG drives (WH16NS40) out of the computer and "cleaned" the laser. After doing which I was then able to rip with the dts track. I've tried ripping on both of the drives...one is no better than the other.

Each time I try to rip with the Atmos audio I get a bit further. Last try it read up to 51gb's. Am I just getting a bit better in my cleaning of the disc?

I've had success ripping other discs with Atmos. Trying to rip this disc I've tried every conceivable option...subs...no subs...and as I mentioned was able to rip choosing the DTS-HD audio.

Attached is the latest log...anyone see anything fixable?
thanks
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(121.93 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
TheCrazyCanuck

Re: Exhausted....Black Hawk Down

Post by TheCrazyCanuck »

I ripped the DTS-HD audio as well and it went through fine a few months ago. I didn't attempt to Atmos audio since none of my AV equipment can deal with that but if you want me to take a crack at it let me know and I'll try ripping it with the Atmos track in to see if I run into the same issue. I have a mix three different kinds of drives so if they all run into problems then perhaps it's a decoding issue. I doubt it since I can't see one track not decoding..... but then again I couldn't see a faulty disc only having a track with issues without others being affected (Mike can correct me if I'm wrong about that).

After writing that I came across this post which is most likely the culprit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=17597
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

Thanks for the offer. I tried ripping a few days ago and chose no audio tracks and it errored. I guess I'm lucky the DTS track worked. If you decide to rip with the Atmos track let me know what happens.
thanks again
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

Been having a nightmare trying to rip this disc (UK version). At first failed to recognise the disc in the drive, then after a clean it recognised but would get stuck a few minutes into the rip. Cleaned again and managed to do a full rip (although it was slow at around 2.0 speed and took 95min).

Problem is that even though I got the Backup done message at the end, there is a line preceding that where it says

Encountered 1 errors of type 'read error'.

Usually with errors it would fail the backup or in the case of hash errors it gives the sector offset number (and I believe in this case it returns corrupt data also).

I'm not sure now whether I have a good rip or not.

These 100gb discs are a real lottery. All my 66gb discs ripped first time with zero issues.
fnhanks

Post by fnhanks »

I was able to rip atmos without any issues. I’m using the asus drive in the vaultec external enclosure. I did have the issue you were describing with another three layer disc (fury maybe?) and it very much was a fourth times the charm kind of ordeal. Even though the disc looked clean...just kept wiping and trying again.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

Fnhanks...crap...I have Fury on its way to be delivered today...lol.
Black Hawk Down is the only Atmos rip I've not been able to do so I'm still trying ...I've literally tried at least 15 times...but I got nothing better to do today.

Seems like most of the posts on here regarding rip problems eventually get done correctly. Patience is the key I guess...
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

Yep, Fury has been problematic for me too, always fails near (what I think is) the layer change. Speed drops to 0.0 and drive just can't get going again. On that one I get actual offset errors.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I received the 4k disc of Fury yesterday and was able to rip it with the Atmos track with no problems...go figure. I've also given up on Black Hawk Down and have ordered another copy and will return this copy once I receive the replacement.

I currently have 4 4k movies on order, all of which have an Atmos track. Deepwater Horizon and the 3 John Wick movies...fingers are crossed.

Btw, does anyone think that the Black Hawk Down disc is being damaged in the package due to the disc sitting directly on top the extra features disc and is causing some of the ripping issues?

thanks
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

I thought it was just me having issues with this disc. I have tried ripping this disc several times with errors. I think it has to do with the fact that the disc is on top on the standard Blu-ray and maybe causing scratches. I've tried cleaning it several times but nothing works.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I've been able to rip the extended version of the disc up to 55gb's. But then errors. I notice that the 55gb file is an audio file and no video. Can't be played in mpc-hc. When I load it into mkvtoolnix it's audio only...doesn't make sense to me that the 55gb's is only audio...

Forgive me as this is probably an inappropriate place to ask this question and maybe this question shouldn't be asked on this website...but, what is the typical architecture of a 4k bluray disc? IOW's...When I see that more than half the rip is complete and the rip speed is getting slower I'm assuming the drive is reading the outer portion of the disc. Since the errors on this disc are audio related I'm assuming that the outer area of the disc is where the audio track resides....true?

However, this particular disc has 2 versions on it...one is 7 minutes longer. That is the version that i've been able to rip up to 55gbs. The shorter version rips up to 41gb's before erroring. I'm to assume that the 14gb difference is the 7 additional minutes of audio...again, as running the 55gb file through mvktoolnix shows only an audio file.

Maybe, I'm thinking too much about this....I do have a replacement on order...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The audio and the video are interleaved, which sorta makes sense, since when you watch it on a regular player, you hear the audio at the same time as you see the video. If they were separated, you'd have to wait for the player to read all the audio and store it in memory before it started playing video.

Most Blu-rays are dual layer discs (some are single layer & UHDs can be triple or 4-layer discs, but the principle is the same). That means data is written in a long continuous spiral from the inside edge around and around to the outside edge (like a vinyl record) and then there's a transition. At the different depth on the disc, there's a second spiral, now from the outside edge back to the inside. This spiral is 'in between' the rings of the first spiral and because the laser is focused at a different depth, you can jam the spirals closer together than you can otherwise. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Dual-layer_discs)

Finally, this is a bit of a simplification but you can think of modern optical drives as spinning the disc at more or less a constant speed. As the laser mechanism travels the spiral from the inside to the outside (like the needle of a record player), the rate at which bits on the disc travel past the laser increases. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_angular_velocity) We perceive this as MakeMKV reading faster while it is doing its work. Add in the dual-layer nature of many discs and the effect is MakeMKV reads slowly at the start. The speed increases until it gets to the middle (the outside edge of the disc) when the layer transition happens and then the speed slows down as it reads back towards the inner edge.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

dcoke22...good explanation.
thanks
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I swear I don't mean to belabor this but now I'm really confused. Using 1.15.3 I associated mpc-hc in makemkv. Found the appropriate playlist on the disc and WATCHED the whole movie with Atmos audio in mpc-hc....how???

Is opening/playing a disc in this method the same as playing a disc in a bluray player such as an oppo or other brand which overlooks disc errors?

Too bad there is no way to save the video in this method.

thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

bnormal1 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:15 pm
I swear I don't mean to belabor this but now I'm really confused. Using 1.15.3 I associated mpc-hc in makemkv. Found the appropriate playlist on the disc and WATCHED the whole movie with Atmos audio in mpc-hc....how???

Is opening/playing a disc in this method the same as playing a disc in a bluray player such as an oppo or other brand which overlooks disc errors?

Too bad there is no way to save the video in this method.

thanks
Reading/copying and playing are 2 different things. When playing the disc, the player can skip/buffer whenever required to make the movie watching appear seamless, whereas reading/copying requires exact bit transfer so even the slightest scratch, bit of fluff, layer of film on disc etc can cause read issues (and the data density of UHD doesn't help the situation!).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

Managed to rip both Black Hawk Down and Fury today. Only change I made was to manually go into the registry and change the drive speed to 2x for all triple layer discs.

Took a good 2 hrs for each disc but it got done with no errors.

Might be worth a try.