MakeMKV 1.15.4

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
agneva

Re: MakeMKV 1.15.4

Post by agneva »

that doesn't get me any further, single Layer can be played on TV with the integrated media player in mp4.
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

eh :? you wanted to know which player plays DV MKV on your OLED TV, you got the answer, no?

MP4 doesn't support TrueHD 7.1, so no Atmos :|

MKV provides the best of everything the UHD disc has to offer, Dolby Vision and Atmos, and only the Shield Pro plays it. Good luck!
Kronkwich

Post by Kronkwich »

phneutral wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:10 pm
agneva wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:53 pm
:roll:
I couldn't read anywhere that Shield 2019 Pro is playing mkv with dual Layer DV.
I've only read a lot about problems e.g. with color representation.

I first try out a new Bluray Player (UBK90) if it can play .m2ts or mp4 dual Layer DV from USB.
If you have dual layer mkv's you will need to use makemkv to convert to single layer.

I didn't notice the colour problems before I read about it. I'm more than happy with the image quality, others are not and that's fine.
I'm confused, because when I rip my Lord of The Rings with 1.15.4 I'm still getting a DV profile of dvhe.07.06, which is dual layer right? Is there an extra step here I'm missing?
agneva

Post by agneva »

sorry, I forgot to mention that it was about DV-DL playback :roll:

I don´t need TrueHD/Atmos/DTS:X - my amplifier can just decode AC3/DTS 640/1500k, so mp4 with 640k is completely adequate :wink:

But I still prefer the mkv format at all :!:
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Kronkwich wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:47 pm
phneutral wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:10 pm
agneva wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:53 pm
:roll:
I couldn't read anywhere that Shield 2019 Pro is playing mkv with dual Layer DV.
I've only read a lot about problems e.g. with color representation.

I first try out a new Bluray Player (UBK90) if it can play .m2ts or mp4 dual Layer DV from USB.
If you have dual layer mkv's you will need to use makemkv to convert to single layer.

I didn't notice the colour problems before I read about it. I'm more than happy with the image quality, others are not and that's fine.
I'm confused, because when I rip my Lord of The Rings with 1.15.4 I'm still getting a DV profile of dvhe.07.06, which is dual layer right? Is there an extra step here I'm missing?
No extra step needed, what you're doing is fine. @phneutral is referring to dual track mkvs where the BL and DV EL are on separate tracks. If you have these kind of files, you need to run it through makemkv 1.15.4 to generate single track dual layer DV files.
agneva wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:23 pm
sorry, I forgot to mention that it was about DV-DL playback :roll:

I don´t need TrueHD/Atmos/DTS:X - my amplifier can just decode AC3/DTS 640/1500k, so mp4 with 640k is completely adequate :wink:

But I still prefer the mkv format at all :!:
If you have an LG OLED and don't care about lossless audio, then stick with creating dual track dual layer mp4s and playing them off the internal player. It's the same, video wise, as playing the disc off a dedicated bluray player. No existing streaming device can accurately play an FEL rip. The shield will play FEL films without issue, but it is not doing it accurately in the sense of a true UHD player. No streaming device, afaik, has the hardware capability of instantiating a second HEVC decoder to handle FELs.
agneva

Post by agneva »

Thats the Problem: internal Player cant handle dual layer DV mp4 or m2ts.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ah do you happen to have one of the X-generation LG OLEDs that removed support for those mp4s?
agneva

Post by agneva »

I´ve the OLED77CX9LA.
I hope the "UBK90" can handle it over USB :|

I´ve a Bluray with "FEL", saving private ryan, with DV SL the brightness pumps.
The other Blurays with DV has empty "MEL" - DV SL works great with mp4. (LotR,Hobbit,Matrix)

So I need a solotion which can handle FEL.

I think that would be a gap in the market: a player that plays mkv with DV DL and all sound formats. :roll:
truthfulie

Post by truthfulie »

phneutral wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:03 pm
gil_schwartzman wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:45 pm
phneutral wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:22 am

2019 Shield
For the sake of not making the same mistake I did... focus on the 2019 Shield Pro.

I purchased the Shield tube thinking it would be the last Plex client I ever need, and it was nothing but trouble. Finally sucked it up and got a Shield TV Pro instead, and it's been flawless so far, while the $150 tube collects dust in a drawer.
Agreed, I had the same experience when I bought the tube - had to return it and it's been mostly plain sailing with the pro
Now that Pro is on sale for 180, really no reason to pick Tube over Pro.
agneva

Post by agneva »

... the UBK90 can handle mp4 with DV DL, and my friend Ryan looks great now :)

original *.m2ts is played as HDR10 (as I thought :roll: )
jayf95

Post by jayf95 »

This program is fantastic, thanks to the creator for all the hard work! Especially now that DV has been added. I have been having some issues however. I have a rip of LOTR ROTK 4k. When I look at the video info after opening in makemkv, I see the dvhe.07.06 BL+FEL+RPU tag implying it sees the DV data. But when I start the remux, I end up with a mkv file that only has HDR10. This is according to mediainfo. When I play back through my TV (sony x900h, on external drive via usb), its read as HDR10. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using makemkv 1.15.4 but haven't changed any settings.

Also, reading through this thread suggests even if I get it to work, my TV won't play the mkv in DV and I'd need a nvidia shield to play it back or remux to mp4. I understand that with mp4 you can't have atmos/trueHD. Would there be any loss of video quality or audio quality (in a 5.1 DD stream)? And any recommendations on remuxing if I'm already working with a BDMV folder?

Thanks!
agneva

Post by agneva »

Yes, you caught the problem.

mkv with DV dual layer -> no player available, even not the Nvidia Shield (just DV single layer).

mp4 with DV dual layer -> I can confirm that my "UBK90" is playing it correctly from USB, but mp4 -> no HD Audio for enthusiasts.
mp4 with DV single layer -> my TV LG OLED CX9 can play it.

m2ts or ts with DV dual layer -> my players just choose the HDR10 stream, don´t know if there a players who can read DV from (m2)ts.

for me I choose mp4 with DV single or dual layer with AC3 5.1 640kbps. I would never hear a difference... even between mp3 320 <-> 128.

P.S.
i read that intel will be play Dolby Vision:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... -guide.pdf
11th Gen intel® coRe™ With iRis® Xe GRaphics :roll:
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

interesting, i did not realise there was a limitation with the Shield Pro not being able to play dual layer DV MKV's. I thought I was getting the same experience a blu-ray player would give and that I had an end-game set-up :shock:

So how does the MP4 compare on screen? Is it looking much different? You said you don't notice HD audio but I have an Atmos system and it's obvious, the picture not so much as I can't a/b it
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

agneva wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm

mkv with DV dual layer -> no player available, even not the Nvidia Shield (just DV single layer).

mp4 with DV dual layer -> I can confirm that my "UBK90" is playing it correctly from USB, but mp4 -> no HD Audio for enthusiasts.

m2ts or ts with DV dual layer -> my players just choose the HDR10 stream, don´t know if there a players who can read DV from (m2)ts.

for me I choose mp4 with DV single or dual layer with AC3 5.1 640kbps. I would never hear a difference... even between mp3 320 <-> 128.

P.S.
phneutral wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:35 pm
interesting, i did not realise there was a limitation with the Shield Pro not being able to play dual layer DV MKV's. I thought I was getting the same experience a blu-ray player would give and that I had an end-game set-up :shock:

So how does the MP4 compare on screen? Is it looking much different? You said you don't notice HD audio but I have an Atmos system and it's obvious, the picture not so much as I can't a/b it
The statements in the first post are not entirely accurate, and there is some confusion between tracks vs layers. The Shield Pro is perfectly capable of playing dual layer DV files provided they are merged onto a single track (BL+EL+RPU). The Shield cannot play any DV files where the two layers are separated onto different tracks, like the products of the original mp4 method. With that said, the Shield, and as well as any other streaming-only device currently available, cannot reproduce the experience of a dedicated bluray player in terms of DV. While the Shield can play dual layer files, there is still some picture accuracy issues. Nvidia is currently still looking into it, but even when that is fixed, it still will not fully be compatible with FEL titles due to hardware limitations. It will play them, but the picture will not be the same as what you will get with a dedicated BR player.
jayf95

Post by jayf95 »

agneva wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm

P.S.
Thanks for the comment, its super helpful. Does makemkv rip dual layer disks to single layer DV MKVs, or does it remain a dual layer DV MKV?

And what tool should I use to remux a BDMV folder to MP4 with DV?

So interestingly, I've found that PLEX (server on PC, app on sony x900h) will playback my dual layer DV MKVs (or at least MKVs generated from dual layer DV UHD Blu Rays via makemkv 1.15.3) with dolby vision! It triggers the DV picture mode on my TV. However, this is in no way a solution unfortunately, as the bitrate is too high for my TV's network connections (no gigabit ethernet port and wifi is meh) so it buffers a lot. This same file will play with HDR10 when I playback via usb on the tv unfortunately. I wish there was a player that could playback the mkv with DV directly on my TV

Anyways thanks for the help