Jurassic World 5-Movie Collection UHD Rips with Playback Issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
damage

Jurassic World 5-Movie Collection UHD Rips with Playback Issues

Post by damage »

I was able to RIP error free all 5 movies in UHD.
When I play back any of the first three J 1-3 they eventually exhibit playback issues.
The new two movies (J 4-5) rip and playback clean.
The issue exhibits as colorful snow. It looks like several small thumbnail 16:9 image boxed version of it across the top. The audio continues fine and the video can freeze at times with the snow.
So I have ripped it with two different computers with the same flashed ASUS (BW-16D1HT FW:Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK) drive.
The rip playback fails in the same in plex as well as VLC.
I can playback the disc (J1 is all I tested) with VLC using the dll from MakeMKV to provide AACS support to play the disc directly with no issues.
I have the latest version of both MakeMKV and VLC.
Any suggestions as to what to try?
preserve

Re: Jurassic World 5-Movie Collection UHD Rips with Playback Issues

Post by preserve »

Per the stickied UHD FAQ, I’d suggest to use a player other than VLC. Such as http://mpv.io

I don’t have these discs in particular so perhaps someone else can comment, but UHDs don’t use FUTs, do they?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
damage

Post by damage »

preserve wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am
Per the stickied UHD FAQ, I’d suggest to use a player other than VLC. Such as http://mpv.io

I don’t have these discs in particular so perhaps someone else can comment, but UHDs don’t use FUTs, do they?
So you have misunderstood. VLC works.
The way I was able to make it work with the same ASUS drive is to use the dlls from MakeMKV.

What failed was the RIP made by MakeMKV, which does not show any errors but the file has playback issues.
preserve

Post by preserve »

damage wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:00 pm
What failed was the RIP made by MakeMKV, which does not show any errors but the file has playback issues.
I didn't misunderstand what you wrote... I'm still suggesting that you try a different player instead of VLC for the RIP, since you say that the rip shows no errors in MakeMKV when you rip it. If it shows no errors, you have a good rip.

However, you could also post your full log for opening and ripping one of the discs that you're having trouble with, just to be sure.
damage

Post by damage »

Actually I have tried another player. Plex. It fails exactly the same. I just had not mentioned it.

Here is the log from J1 rip:
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=0FA242DD4D0B)

Using direct disc access mode

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.

Title #00023.mpls has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00055.mpls has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00054.mpls has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00053.mpls has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00052.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00051.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

File 00164.mpls was added as title #0

File 00077.mpls was added as title #1

File 00165.mpls was added as title #2

Title #00161.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00160.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00157.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00156.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

File 00800.mpls was added as title #3

Title #00020.mpls has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00056.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00050.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00153.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00152.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00093.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00026.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00006.m2ts has length of 4 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00004.m2ts has length of 24 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00003.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00001.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00025.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00024.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00022.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00021.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00094.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00008.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00020.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00018.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00017.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00016.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00015.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00014.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00013.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00012.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00011.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00010.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00009.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00005.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00002.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Title #00000.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

Operation successfully completed

Saving 1 titles into directory D:/RIP

AV synchronization issues were found in file 'Jurassic Park_t03.mkv' (title #4)

Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file

1 titles saved
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Still could be a codec issue or graphics driver issue. Can your PC handle the load?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Someone else on the forum was recently having an issue where the .mkv files produced by MakeMKV were full of errors. Ultimately, the thing that fixed it was realizing they were on 1.15.3, deleting it and reinstalling 1.15.4. Then things worked fine.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=24219

I don't know if that's the problem here, but downloading 1.15.4 (again) and verifying it with the hash from the download page and reinstalling MakeMKV is relatively easy to do. Perhaps give it a try.
damage

Post by damage »

To summarize:
I have reinstalled did not help. The second machine is a fresh install has a NVidia 2080, Intel i7-8750H.
Keep in mind 2 of 5 of the collection rip fine.
I tried on 2 different machines with the same result.
The playback works on the same ASUS drive using VLC and the libmmbd64.dll from the same MKV to decode.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Krawk wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 am
Still could be a codec issue or graphics driver issue. Can your PC handle the load?
I’d agree that it seems to be a playback issue - even though 2 of the 5 were fine - especially since the rip reports completion without issue. Barring any errors, and as I don’t have these particular discs, I’m afraid I’m out of ideas on this one.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The earlier suggestion to try MPV is still a good one I think. VLC seems to hide any errors it encounters during playback, but MPV will spew them out on the command line you launched it from. (At least, that's the case on my Mac.)

Let me see if I understand the state of things. Please correct me wherever I'm wrong.
  • You've tried ripping the problematic movies on two separate machines, using the same external, USB connected drive. (How is this drive powered?)
  • MakeMKV 1.15.4. reports no errors during the rips.
  • Movies 4 & 5 playback clean in VLC (on your computer) and Plex (on your TV?). (Do you have other UHD rips that play correctly?)
  • Movies 1-3 have playback errors in VLC and Plex.
Assuming that is true, the implications are… Since movies 4 & 5 work, the optical drive, cables, computer hardware and software stack are capable of correctly creating a .mkv file and playing it back. Since movies 1-3 have problems, there's something about them that is different.
  • The discs could be authored incorrectly. This seems very unlikely, especially since the movies play correctly when played from the disc.
  • The discs could have a manufacturing defect. This is possible. Players are designed to blow past errors and read failures on the disc and try to keep playing. Most of the time the 'hiccup' isn't noticeable or is just a short blip. This is a long winded way of saying playback is easier than ripping. The really odd part is MakeMKV's lack of errors during the rip.
  • MakeMKV could have a bug that's weirdly specific to only movies 1-3. This seems very unlikely as I think the forums would be overrun with issues like this, even it was only these 3 movies that were affected.
  • There could be some aspect to movies 1-3 that your playback setup(s) can't handle that is not present on movies 4 & 5. This seems very unlikely.
That list of possibilities ranges from somewhat unlikely to very unlikely. None of them stand out to me as the likely culprit. I suppose you could try MakeMKV's speed control stuff to slow the drive down to its slowest speed during the rip and see if that makes a difference.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=22689

If that doesn't work, I guess you could try exchanging the discs for a new set. (Hopefully not too much time has passed.)

Or, I suppose, you could try a different optical drive.