UHD disc inconsistency

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
recordplay

UHD disc inconsistency

Post by recordplay »

So I been ripping Blu-ray for over 6 years now and 4K Blu-ray for 2 years and I have noticed that with 4K blu-rays the rate in which I get errors from discs is extremely higher than normal 1080p blurays I've done in the past. With normal 1080p, I would say I get no errors 99% of the time unless there is a visible scratch on the disc. With 4K, its a crapshoot. Every other disc I get it either won't rip completely because of errors, some slow down to the point of failure and then there are some that won't rip it all. Not to be negative because I would say 80% rip just fine and those are mostly Warner, Universal and Paramount. Lionsgate gives a little trouble but the worst is Fox and Disney with Disney being the worst by a longshot. To make it short, what is the reason behind this? are 4K Blu-ray more prone to errors and if so why do Disney have so many issues?
Billycar11

Re: UHD disc inconsistency

Post by Billycar11 »

in my experience with UHD drives i have had 400+ drives and ripped 800+ UHDs mostly the same test discs but.
i have found its more likely your drive is defective than the disc any of the desktop drives that work with makemkv are just no where near as good and consistent as the BU40N.
there are some stand out bad discs like Blackhawk but most are fine.
and yes bd 66 and bd 100 both uhd disc types are currently, are harder to read by any drive that can do it but some like the BU40N are better at it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:47 am
in my experience with UHD drives i have had 400+ drives and ripped 800+ UHDs mostly the same test discs but.
i have found its more likely your drive is defective than the disc any of the desktop drives that work with makemkv are just no where near as good and consistent as the BU40N.
there are some stand out bad discs like Blackhawk but most are fine.
and yes bd 66 and bd 100 both uhd disc types are currently, are harder to read by any drive that can do it but some like the BU40N are better at it
Thats interesting because Sony disc rarely give me problems and Blackhawk rip fine for me. I probably will just bite the bullet and get another drive. Any suggestions? I see u mention the BU40N. Where can I purchase one that can rip 4k discs with the firmware?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

See the Recommended Pre-Flashed Drive Sellers section.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Don't worry people you can trust your desktop drives.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:45 pm
Don't worry people you can trust your desktop drives.
Well said, I second that. My customers have nothing but praise, for the desktop drives I have supplied.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

asmcom wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Well said, I second that. My customers have nothing but praise, for the desktop drives I have supplied.

We all know the desktop drives have quality problems.
You yourself have admitted it.
Maybe what we consider a bad drive differs but if any drive I get that has trouble with any disc I would consider that drive defective if that disc worked in one of my known good drives.

So all your drives that failed on game if thrones I would have returned.
asmcom wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 am
sm754plop wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:05 pm
Firstly please merge with the other GOT thread - as its the steelbook version I thought it might be better to do a new thread.

I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01 which just ejects the new GOT Steel book collection released Dec 14th.
Have tried with a couple discs from S1 and S8

Would it work if i upgrade my ASUS Drive flash? Im on mac so will have to find a windows laptop, or see if i can get bootcamp on a 2010 MacPro running Mojave.

All other times ive used this drive its worked, so maybe there is new drm on the discs?
I have just backed up Seasons 1 to 8 and the 3 bonus discs yesterday.

I used the following drives.

2 X BU40N 1-03mk
2 X BH16NS55 CF WH16NS60 1-02mk
2 X BH16NS40 CF WH16NS60 1-02mk

ASUS Firmware 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 was having problems with most of the discs in Seasons 2 and 3. But on other titles the ASUS could be the best and the LG Drives could struggle.

On this occasion I found the BH16NS55 and the BU40N to be the most reliable. All done, no hash errors

Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Billy, enough. Please stop hijacking threads with this stuff.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm
Billy, enough. Please stop hijacking threads with this stuff.
Stop deleting your threads with this stuff
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Sorry sellers! Before buying a new drive clean all your UHD discs with liquid soap and warm water. Rub with microfiber cloth after that. Try again with your current drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

To be clear I'm not saying anyone flashes drives wrong or bad you can't if the drive is the right hardware we all do it the same way and we all know what we are doing.
This all comes down to lg and asus not us.
only our testing methods are different.
And yes you should always clean your discs if you have trouble before determine if you need a new drive my usual recommendation is

Clean disc
Replace disc
Clean drive laser
Optional reduce read speed
New drive
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 pm
asmcom wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm

We all know the desktop drives have quality problems.
You yourself have admitted it.
Maybe what we consider a bad drive differs but if any drive I get that has trouble with any disc I would consider that drive defective if that disc worked in one of my known good drives.

So all your drives that failed on game if thrones I would have returned.
asmcom wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 am
sm754plop wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:05 pm
Firstly please merge with the other GOT thread - as its the steelbook version I thought it might be better to do a new thread.

I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01 which just ejects the new GOT Steel book collection released Dec 14th.
Have tried with a couple discs from S1 and S8

Would it work if i upgrade my ASUS Drive flash? Im on mac so will have to find a windows laptop, or see if i can get bootcamp on a 2010 MacPro running Mojave.

All other times ive used this drive its worked, so maybe there is new drm on the discs?
I have just backed up Seasons 1 to 8 and the 3 bonus discs yesterday.

I used the following drives.

2 X BU40N 1-03mk
2 X BH16NS55 CF WH16NS60 1-02mk
2 X BH16NS40 CF WH16NS60 1-02mk

ASUS Firmware 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 was having problems with most of the discs in Seasons 2 and 3. But on other titles the ASUS could be the best and the LG Drives could struggle.

On this occasion I found the BH16NS55 and the BU40N to be the most reliable. All done, no hash errors

Yes Billy I returned my 1 ASUS drive that I Flashed with three different firmwares. 3.00, 3.01 & 3.10mk it was indeed found to be faulty.

That is my second ASUS drive faulty in over 270 drives. I would not say I have a problems with Desktop Drives because of this one drive.

Come on Billy give it a break. The whole world knows by now you hate desktop drives. Jonghotti is right, if you have said it once you have said it 100 times about desktop drives.

I have had 1 problem copying game of thrones box set with 1 x faulty ASUS drive, which is now 2 in total in the last 2 years. Hope this clarifies things for you Billy.

For the avoidance of doubt and clarification Billy, I had a faulty ASUS Drive which I noticed when backing up my Game of Thrones Box Set. It has now been replaced. I do not have problems with quality issues and Desktop Drives.
Because you did and you stopped selling them does not mean that I have problems with Desktop Drives.

Kind Regards Billy, hope all is good with you. :mrgreen:
Last edited by asmcom on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:44 am

Yes Billy I returned my 1 ASUS drive that I Flashed with three different firmwares. 3.00, 3.01 & 3.10mk it was indeed found to be faulty.

That is my second ASUS drive faulty in over 270 drives. I would not say I have a problems with Desktop Drives because of this one drive.

Come on Billy give it a break. The whole world knows by now you hate desktop drives. Jonghotti is right, if you have said it once you have said it 100 times about desktop drives.

I have had 1 problem coping game of thrones box set with 1 x faulty ASUS drive, which is now 2 in total in the last 2 years. Hope this clarifies things for you Billy.

For the avoidance of doubt and clarification Billy, I had a faulty ASUS Drive which I noticed when backing up my Game of Thrones Box Set. It has now been replaced. I do not have problems with quality issues and Desktop Drives.
Because you did and you stopped selling them does not mean that I have problems with Desktop Drives.

Kind Regards Billy, hope all is good with you. :mrgreen:
my 50+ pile of defective desktop drives says hello to your 2
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Touch wood Billycar11, hope I never have a pile of defective drives like this and hope it does not happen to Marty, Bluntman or Jonghotti either.

I wish you and your family Health and Happiness for 2021. Hopefully this dreadful Coronavirus will be put behind us and the new vaccines will help save lives.

Cid67

Post by Cid67 »

I'm going to have to agree with Billy. I had a lg desktop drive that i bought on eBay, pre patched. It came dead on arrival.I had it swapped out for another one. it worked for the most part at first but it stopped reading disks shortly after. Now i have a bu40n that i patched myself and it works great, may be anecdotal but it rings true to me. My bu40n is just far more reliable and it looks better too. slimmer, sleeker, faster etc. just my two cents.