Bourne Identity UHD forced subs.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
boe_d

Bourne Identity UHD forced subs.

Post by boe_d »

Hello,

I LOVE MAKEMKV - works great. I'm trying out plex and it is having a trouble with forced subs. I'm looking at the Bourne Identity UHD. With my current settings when opening a movie, it selects the english audio and english subs. I noticed they all say forced on Bourne Identity. Any way for me to make only one of them the forced sub but still have the ability to play back all subs if I want (e.g. neighbor mowing the lawn - hard to hear screen).

Image Or am I just doing it wrong? Thanks for your help

https://imgur.com/cqHBRw3
Woodstock

Re: Bourne Identity UHD forced subs.

Post by Woodstock »

Forced subtitles may or may not exist on that disk; MakeMKV is offering to put them in a separate track if it finds any.

The most likely result is a log entry saying the forced subtitle track was empty, and was removed from the output file. Along with a fake error message about audio sync issues (known bug).

I have personally seen only one title (Avatar) that makes proper use of the "forced" flag in subtitles. I have heard about others existing, but have no proof.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

Thanks so much.

With the help of another forum I got help that made it work. There may be a way with makemkv but this is a work around until that solution is available.

I dragged the file into mkvtoolnix.
I went to the header editor - then did the following:
Go to the correct forced sub track (in my case it was the second English one - the first one for me was all words not just when speaking in another language).
changing it to forced display - ON and track enabled ON
Then in the tab at the top for header editor - click save (it takes just a second - doesn't seem to impact the file size or anything).

In plex - not sure what is necessary but I went to account
Audio & subtitle settings
pref audio English
pref sub English
auto-select sub - show with foreign
Sub for deaf - prefer non-sdh
Forced sub - prefer forced.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In Plex I usually just pick the forced subtitle track in the UI and it remembers my choice.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

Thanks - can you tell me where that is? That certainly is easier although I might just do this for the heck of it.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're on the web interface, click on the movie title to go to the detail page for the movie… there should be a drop down list next to subtitles (assuming the movie has any subtitles).
plexsubs.jpg
plexsubs.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
If you're on the TV interface, it is probably also on the movie detail page somewhere; at least it is for me on Plex on Apple TV.

The upside to doing the mkvtoolnix method is you're baking the forced subtitles info into the .mkv file. That makes it 'more portable', so to speak. The downside is, you're mucking with files a second time in a second tool.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 pm
The upside to doing the mkvtoolnix method is you're baking the forced subtitles info into the .mkv file.
Actually, it's not. You're simply setting a flag to a track already present in the mkv that any capable player (VLC, Plex...) recognizes and then displays the sub accordingly.

Having to use two tools is annoying but – as has been discussed to death on this forum – can't be helped because most US BDs don't have tracks with items flagged as forced. Since Mike hasn't implemented a method to recognize forced subs by checking the menu commands (which tell the BD standalone to play a separate track that has no forced items) or by size like e.g. AVCHD does, your best bet is to always rip all subs (they don't need much space anyway) and flag them with MKVToolnix's header editor after cycling through them briefly. If you FF to the first dialogue and don't get subtitles, you've most likely already found the forced track.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch