Drive stopped seeing blu ray after failed rip

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BadSarah

Drive stopped seeing blu ray after failed rip

Post by BadSarah »

Complete noob here. Tried to play Monsters INC using VLC (I have played other 4k blu ray discs previously) but it kept hanging on the menu so I thought copying to my hard drive would fix it. Still no go so I deleted it from my hard drive and tried again and ticked the decrypt box. It had issues and failed after just a few minutes and now my system doesn't recognise blu ray at all, let alone uhd. It still plays standard DVDs but tells me to insert a disc if I put in a blu ray or a UHD. What happened? How do I fix it?
BadSarah

Re: Drive stopped seeing blu ray after failed rip

Post by BadSarah »

I read somewhere that (forums on here? VLC?) I needed to uninstall the drive in device manager and restart so windows would reinstall it... no go, somewhere else(?) said to do a cold boot instead of a restart. Yay, my drive is seeing blu rays again.
BadSarah

Post by BadSarah »

I have found that I appear to have tried the wrong way to rip the DVD... I have no idea what I'm doing... I got MakeMKV because powerdvd ultra 20 was rubbish.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If Windows doesn't see the drive, you need to do a hardware reset - rebooting isn't enough. Shut down, power off. Count to 20. Power back on.

Unless you have an actual reset button on the machine, the only way to reset the hardware is through a power cycle.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BadSarah

Post by BadSarah »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:59 am
If Windows doesn't see the drive, you need to do a hardware reset - rebooting isn't enough. Shut down, power off. Count to 20. Power back on.

Unless you have an actual reset button on the machine, the only way to reset the hardware is through a power cycle.
WINDOWS could see the drive, but the drive couldn't see blu rays- it could see and play a standard DVD though. Weird. Fixed now anyway, thanks.