disc "rips" to backup/X but files contain no data

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
captain

disc "rips" to backup/X but files contain no data

Post by captain »

I'm trying to rip After Hours UHD. The AACS was finally updated, so I was able to rip and remux the main title to an MKV file just fine. The problem I'm having is trying to BACKUP the entire disc to an iso file or folder structure. MakeMKV proceeds as if it's doing its job, spends about an hour ripping 60gb to a folder, but when I dig down into the STREAM folder and try to play the m2ts files, they fail. mediainfo reports NOTHING inside these files. I have tried this about six times with a couple of total computer reboots.

In my thread on After Hours, someone else commented that he may be having the same problem.

I don't know if the disc reader makes any difference, but it's a brand new bp60nb10 with the "freedom" firmware burned into it.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here and/or how to fix this so I can get reliable backups?
Billycar11

Re: disc "rips" to backup/X but files contain no data

Post by Billycar11 »

did you check decrypt?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
captain

Post by captain »

OMG! I'm an idiot. I just didn't see the DECRYPT FILES TICK BOX in the pre-roll popup window. Thanks!

When I do a "rip to mkv file" the UHD data gets decrypted and stuck into a matroska container that plays. I don't know why a full backup won't work. I think I'm doing the same thing I've always done for DVDs and blu-rays. Click the folder/arrow (backup) and let it rip to a folder structure. I get the filestructure I expect, just none of the files have movie data in them.

It's a bummer MakeMKV doesn't rip off all the other junk, like region coding. But maybe this will at least allow the whole disc to be backed up.
demon

Post by demon »

MakeMKV can't remove region coding on Blu-ray Discs because region coding on Blu-ray Discs isn't implemented the same way as it was on DVDs. It's essentially just a variable that's passed into the playback runtime, and if the disc looks at it and decides to use it to control the playback flow, it's decided by the navigation code, there's no clear "I am $THISREGION" value on the disc. To remove it you'd either have to NOP out the code in the BDMV menus, or decompile the BD-J code, find where the region is being looked at, and NOP/excise that code. It's easier to just slurp out the stream you want and not dick with altering navigation code.