The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Radiocomms237

Re: The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Post by Radiocomms237 »

SnowDog wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:24 am
Just received the 50th Anniversary Edition Steelbook format.

Out of the box, disc 1 - the 4K final cut - reports 'volume key unknown... video can't be decrypted... failed to open disc'. Tried several times.

Dump submitted.
@SnowDog, just out of interest, what file size was the dump that you generated?
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

@Radiocomms237 It was 184kb - tried it three times.

I've also discovered VLC can't read it, and using Windows inbuilt player it took maybe an hour to buffer and begin playing. I was ready to send it back as damaged/corrupted.

I also tried downloading PowerDVD, and it reports 'Disk with unsupported format' when I tried it. It recognises the disc and the title, but it won't/can't play the stream.

Playing around a little, it appears the 4K video is in 00000.m2ts and it's 72.3GB. I can rip the bonus files using a converter, but nothing will touch that first file in the stream list.
Chris 61

Post by Chris 61 »

Exactly same here, tried both the UK Steel Book and UK Box set final cut discs. In the end I had to use the standard Blu-ray for the final cut (the other 2 cuts worked fine for UHD). Hopefully it'll get fixed though as it's one of my favourite films.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

So at the moment then the UHD disc cannot be opened and decrypted?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I am *guessing* that all these dumps being generated, which are only in the order of kilobytes, aren't able to be used for key generation. Otherwise we should have had the keys by now.

So I'd say the answer is no, not at the moment.

The only possible solution I can see is if Mike can physically get his hands on one of the discs in question or if someone can do a full encrypted backup and get that to him somehow?

The first step would be to figure out why the dumps are being screwed up, fix that, and then generate a key.

Is anyone able to contact Mike about this issue directly? Is he even aware of it?
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

So we are just never going to be able to copy this now? Is there any way to find out what is going on with key generation?
Returning the disc would be in vain, as it's obviously the entire run that is affected.
Also, it plays fine on a standalone player. Which is what it is sold for. I don't think being unable to rip a copy is grounds for a return.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

And we're assuming that it's a fault of some kind... But if it's a deliberate attempt to circumvent third-party key generation then the problem will likely spread?
andreasy969

Post by andreasy969 »

I usually only submit dumps and don't post here, but re. the small dump of Wicker Man disc 1 mentioned here more than once: My dump of the Final Cut disc isn''t small. I still have the file and the email. The dump file is MKB20_v77_THE_WICKER_MAN_DISC1_0ECA.tgz and it is exactly 3.503.398 bytes big. It took MakeMKV forever to eventually spit it out (and I did abort it at least once before), but it eventually did.

So while this disc is most definitely "special" (parsing appears to be taking forever), the dump file (size) is certainly not. The Wicker Man Final Cut disc situation reminds me of Goonies 4K by now. While MakeMKV didn't have any issues producing the dump with this one, it took a looong time until MakeMKV eventually managed to decrypt it. Here's still hoping that the same will eventually be the case with Wicker Man disc 1.

Oh, I have a German steelbook copy btw, but the issue is obviously the same with all releases AFAICT.
dentalboy

Post by dentalboy »

I've been able to do a back up of this disc and then remux it from the back up
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

Can you explain how? I backed up Disc 1, how did you proceed from there? Thank you for your time.
andreasy969

Post by andreasy969 »

My Final Cut disc (i.e. disc 1) still won't decrypt at any rate. Just tried again also because I realized that I actually didn't try again before writing the last comment. As per the usual with this disc, it took at least half an hour or so to eventually get the "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted" mesage and the dump file, but it gave me the same big dump file. I am also making an encrypted backup of the disc (right) now, so I won't have to torture the drive again next time I try. And l still have trust that it'll eventually work. :)
thedugan

Post by thedugan »

It appears that The Final Cut UHD is not encrypted. To rip the movie from this disc:
  • Copy the disc contents to your computer
  • Delete the AACS folder
  • Process using MakeMKV as normal
It looks like the presence of the AACS folder confuses MakeMKV, as the content actually does not have this encryption applied.
Paul Cordingley

Post by Paul Cordingley »

thedugan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:19 am
It appears that The Final Cut UHD is not encrypted. To rip the movie from this disc:
  • Delete the AACS folder
It looks like the presence of the AACS folder confuses MakeMKV, as the content actually does not have this encryption applied.
My goodness, you're a genius!! This works indeed. Thank you!!
andreasy969

Post by andreasy969 »

thedugan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:19 am
  • Delete the AACS folder
Confirmed as well. I just the renamed the AACS folder in my "decrypted" backup folder on disk and could then open and play the "disc" with MPC-BE. Thank you! And lol.
Pete B

Post by Pete B »

Now, wait! Now, all of you, just wait and listen to me. And you can wrap it up any way you like. You are about to commit piracy. Can you not see? Think! Just think what you're doing! Think what you're doing! Think! In the name of God, think what you're doing!