Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kalob

Elemental - Dump Submitted

Post by kalob »

Submitted the dump...
WAYFLIX

Re: Elemental - Dump Submitted

Post by WAYFLIX »

It works now (US BB SB). Some new Disney playslist organization going on here. This will be fun.
jayper

Post by jayper »

I suspect there is not actually any playlist obfuscation... Disney/Pixar discs often have multiple playlists. One playlist for each foreign language, as Pixar often localizes on-screen text/credits. More often than not, Disney uses 800.mpls for their English playlist.

However, if you want to check and verify yourself you can use the following technique:
The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists (mpls), or individual m2ts files. The segment map listed in MakeMKV is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

Just because two playlists have the same file size, duration, chapters, and audio sources does not mean they are the same. The content and listed m2ts files may be different. For example, the recent Avatar and Avatar: Way of Water discs looked the same, but 800.mpls had the Na'Vi language burned in. Everything else was the same.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts).

In MakeMKV, highlight a given playlist, and in the right-hand pane you will see the segment map listed for that given playlist. The numbers shown in the MakeMKV segment map correspond to the files mentioned above. They will have the same naming structure, ex: 00005. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files directly.

Review the segment maps for 800 and 801. If they're the same, the resulting MKVs will be the same (assuming they have the same subtitle and audio tracks). If they're different, play back the m2ts files in VLC and you'll see the differences.
If you run through the above steps for Elemental, I suspect you'll find that the m2ts files that differ between the playlists are only the segments which include text and will be in difference languages across each playlist. Hope that helps.
ravedog

Post by ravedog »

Mine came up with 143 segments all called "SEG_mainFeature_xx(language code)". very strange.
Stryker412

Post by Stryker412 »

I used the first one in the list, it all seems correct and in English.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

I was able to rip it (after upgrading to the latest version of MakeMkv) and here is how it mapped out for me: https://thediscdb.com/movie/elemental-2 ... edition-4k
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Anyone got a lot of dropped frames for AV synchronization during ripping? The ripped MKV played with a lot of little stutters for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

MRX_BD_07

Post by MRX_BD_07 »

The ripped MKV played with a lot of little stutters for me.
What player have you used?

I´m getting my copy of Elemental hopefully next week, curious if I also experience stuttering playback....