UHD discs decrypting

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Coopervid

Re: UHD discs decrypting

Post by Coopervid »

macdev wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:07 pm
Is KEYDB.cfg supposed to be in my .MakeMKV directory all the time? I don't have it, just _private_data.tar, some dump_***.tgz files, and MKB_***.tgz files.

Also, am I to understand that I have to buy another app to decrypt keys? DVDFab Passcode is $99 lifetime and I already spent $ on MakeMKV to do the job that I'd be paying DVDFab to do.

I'd really like to rip my Footloose disc, and with the James Cameron stuff coming in a couple of weeks, it would be nice to have those keys ready soon after their release, too.
Yes. It needs to be in that folder. Just extend the synchronize bat with what is posted above. No additional software needed. You just get the database with the keys.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

macdev wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:07 pm
Is KEYDB.cfg supposed to be in my .MakeMKV directory all the time? I don't have it, just _private_data.tar, some dump_***.tgz files, and MKB_***.tgz files.

Also, am I to understand that I have to buy another app to decrypt keys? DVDFab Passcode is $99 lifetime and I already spent $ on MakeMKV to do the job that I'd be paying DVDFab to do.

I'd really like to rip my Footloose disc, and with the James Cameron stuff coming in a couple of weeks, it would be nice to have those keys ready soon after their release, too.
Yeah, I'm confused here as well, as mentioned. Someone else told me they used AnyDVD with this method and MakeMKV and I'm clueless about what that they meant by that. Using other software with MakeMKV (like DVDFab for example) can be a bad idea, as they conflict and DVDFab (I'm serious) will brick a flashed UHD drive if you try to uninstall it and keep MakeMKV. I've had it happen to be me before and I'm extremely hesitant to ever use that software ever again. I damn sure am not about to dish out $100 for a license to a company that bricked a drive, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else to do so, either.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

What, exactly, is "confusing" about using AnyDVD WITH MakeMKV? AnyDVD is a real time decryption program. Meaning, you decrypt it real time with AnyDVD, open MakeMKV, and WOA, it's not protected so MakeMKV works. The amount of nonsense I've read on this forum lately is staggering.
macdev

Post by macdev »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:29 am
What, exactly, is "confusing" about using AnyDVD WITH MakeMKV? AnyDVD is a real time decryption program. Meaning, you decrypt it real time with AnyDVD, open MakeMKV, and WOA, it's not protected so MakeMKV works. The amount of nonsense I've read on this forum lately is staggering.
Imagine for a second that you don't know what AnyDVD does, and someone is talking down to you because you've never used it, or never used it in this context.

Now re-read your post.

You also neglected to address the bricked drive which I've read AnyDVD does.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

macdev wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:44 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:29 am
Imagine for a second that you don't know what AnyDVD does, and someone is talking down to you because you've never used it, or never used it in this context.

Now re-read your post.

You also neglected to address the bricked drive which I've read AnyDVD does.
As I said:

The amount of nonsense I've read on this forum lately is staggering.

AnyDVD does not "brick drives". That's a complete bullshit claim.
polskasubie

Post by polskasubie »

i've read that one user claimed anyDVD "bricked" their drive... i find that hard to believe without some proof...

makemkv is def my preferred software but when i run into a significant delay with say a disc like Footloose, i opened the disc with anyDVD and then rip with makemkv...
Cynary

Post by Cynary »

Just to add to this conversation - and maybe someone can clarify what I'm doing wrong.
Recently got some disks that were new enough that their keys were not in either MakeMKV / keydb.cfg.
I used the FindVUK+DVDFab method to get the keys, and add them to the keydb.cfg file.

It seems as if MakeMKV just ignores that file, since it still gives me the volume key error. But when anyDVD is pointed to that keydb.cfg file (it was erroring before pointing to it) used to first decrypt the disk, MakeMKV can read it successfully.

So it seems like MakeMKV is either not looking at the keydb.cfg file, or FindVUK is generating some output that MakeMKV doesn't recognize, which for me necessitates going through anyDVD :/
ryley

Post by ryley »

Cynary wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:40 am
Just to add to this conversation - and maybe someone can clarify what I'm doing wrong.
Recently got some disks that were new enough that their keys were not in either MakeMKV / keydb.cfg.
I used the FindVUK+DVDFab method to get the keys, and add them to the keydb.cfg file.

It seems as if MakeMKV just ignores that file, since it still gives me the volume key error. But when anyDVD is pointed to that keydb.cfg file (it was erroring before pointing to it) used to first decrypt the disk, MakeMKV can read it successfully.

So it seems like MakeMKV is either not looking at the keydb.cfg file, or FindVUK is generating some output that MakeMKV doesn't recognize, which for me necessitates going through anyDVD :/
When you use FindVUK in conjunction with that third-party decryption tool you will generally only get the unit key for your UHD discs. My recollection is that MakeMKV was only utilising keydb entries for UHD discs which contained all possible fields (media key, volume ID, volume unique key and unit key(s)).

This limitation in MakeMKV may have been an oversight, as the only absolute requirement is the unit key (which is why VLC can play UHD discs with just the unit key). It’s also possible that this may have changed in the latest version of MakeMKV, I think I last tested this with v1.17.5.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Cynary wrote:

Look at "View" "Preferences" " General" and make sure that "Makemkv data directory" points to C:\Users\"your USERNAME"\.Makemkv
Cynary

Post by Cynary »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:08 am
Cynary wrote:

Look at "View" "Preferences" " General" and make sure that "Makemkv data directory" points to C:\Users\"your USERNAME"\.Makemkv
I appreciate the suggestion but tried that. I even tried moving the data dir and confirmed that it had the dump files and private date next to the key DB file. Most likely it's due to what the other reply mentioned:
When you use FindVUK in conjunction with that third-party decryption tool you will generally only get the unit key for your UHD discs. My recollection is that MakeMKV was only utilising keydb entries for UHD discs which contained all possible fields (media key, volume ID, volume unique key and unit key(s)).

This limitation in MakeMKV may have been an oversight, as the only absolute requirement is the unit key (which is why VLC can play UHD discs with just the unit key). It’s also possible that this may have changed in the latest version of MakeMKV, I think I last tested this with v1.17.5.
Since indeed the find vuk entry did not have all the fields.

For now it works with any DVD so it's not a big issue, just would be nice if I could just use makemkv alone
kwinders2

Post by kwinders2 »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:07 pm
Since that location is the standard and eventually used by VLC I just added a line to the FindVUK-Synchronize.bat. So it looks like this:

findvuk.exe synchronize
copy /Y C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\aacs\keydb.cfg c:\users\USERNAME\.Makemkv\keydb.cfg

Just replace USERNAME with your real one.
Worked Great, thank you
The /Y after "copy" prevents the command from asking for confirmation to overwrite the old version.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

I rip all my stuff with MakeMKV on a Mac, but do have access to a PC. I downloaded FindVUK and ran the .bat file, but I just get an error:

I thought this tool was just downloading keys from somewhere, but maybe not? Do I need the drive connected? Do I need the disc in the drive? Do I need some other software running?

Edit

Just discovered AnyDVD for the PC and it's working! I'd still love not to have to run that, if I could get FindVUK working...
Last edited by Cannikin on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You ran the wrong .bat. You are supposed to run the synchronize .bat not AACSkeys.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:03 pm
You ran the wrong .bat. You are supposed to run the synchronize .bat not AACSkeys.
🤦‍♂️ Thanks so much!

Holy crap that **Fancy Icons** is huge.
jtscribe

Post by jtscribe »

Hmm. Well, shoot. Downloaded the keycfg, moved it into the MakeMKV folder in my user profile, and still no joy trying to open True Lies. My hash seems to be different than everyone else; maybe I got a different version?