Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio 4K UHD, & The Roaring Twenties 4K UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sgclark9

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio 4K UHD, & The Roaring Twenties 4K UHD

Post by sgclark9 »

Has anyone successfully ripped the Criterion 4K UHD versions of Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio or The Roaring Twenties? I ask because although I submitted the TGZ file only 2-1/2 days ago and it may yet be too early for decryption keys to have been generated, it's also my first attempt to use a recently-flashed drive for this purpose, so I'm uncertain about the cause of my failure so far (for the usual Unknown Volume Key reason). Internet access is allowed in MakeMKV, and AnyDVD seems happy with both discs and allows them to be played by my player. Does the latter imply that the drive is fine and should work with MakeMKV?

Thanks in advance.
dcoke22

Re: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio 4K UHD, & The Roaring Twenties 4K UHD

Post by dcoke22 »

It looks like Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio came out in December 2023. I would expect someone has submitted to the dump in the past and a key to be available, but perhaps you've got one from a new pressing with a different key?

It is also possible that your MakeMKV is not able to reach the key server. See the hashed keys section in the UHD FAQ. Do you see "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed" in the log?
sgclark9

Re: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio 4K UHD, & The Roaring Twenties 4K UHD

Post by sgclark9 »

Thank you for your reply, dcoke22. Yes, the notification of disabled or failed HK downloading is there. Since I have "Enable Internet access" checked in Preferences > General, and since I followed the advice in the Fixing Volume Key thread, I am using Google's public DNS facilities at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and have found no Geo or any other kinds of blockages anywhere in the chain, I assumed that decryption keys hadn't yet been generated.

Since my first post I have successfully ripped both 4K UHD discs by downloading the most recent version of KEYDB.CFG and installing it in the .MakeMKV folder. I am now working on two other 4K UHD discs, both Criterion: After Hours (released Jul 2023), and The Trial (released Sep 2023). As before, MakeMKV reports "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed" for both, but I can rip After Hours using KEYDB.DFG, which apparently has no entry for The Trial (dang!), so I'll be submitting TGZ files for both, but I'm still suspicious that since AnyDVD allows me to play both, either the decryption keys haven't been generated, or I still have a problem I haven't yet found. I need to acquire a 4K UHD disc that's been out for quite some time and for which keys certainly exist to distinguish between the possibilities.

Thanks again.